• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
    18.3 oz

Oldgit
    Thank you.

I still believe that if you order an Ultimate cue from John, and you know exactly what you want, you will get a good cue.

I have seen works of some other cue maker whom I consider to be completely overpriced, with very average shaft quality, made by machines and computer, that are in great demand. I am pretty sure this cue maker is not as capable nor knowledgable as John Parris.

Customers need to be educated of what is a good cue and what is not.

Perhaps John should cut out his lower end lines, and focus on building 500GBP + cues, with the top notch quality that he is capable of.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

At the end of the day JP cues is a business. As much as his passion when he started cue making many years ago was purely focused in the quality of the cue, I am afraid that now it appears like any other business man, he has financial needs and they tend to overtake the passion that was once there, especially if he is not even making the cues anymore, I am afraid that the quality will deteriorate...to what rate only the consumer can say!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
        Well, I have known John Parris since he made a cue for me back in 1986 and I have to say, hand on heart, that over the last 24 years since then that he has made me quite a few hand made cues (Specials and Ultimates) and they have all been exactly what I asked for down to the last detail and without exception they have all been just about as good quality as its possible for a cue to be.

I have been lucky enough to indulge my incurable 'Cue Addiction' over the last few years and have probably bought and sold around 100 cues just over the last 10 years. I have used nearly all of the top cue makers to make me handmade cues (Parris, Wooldridge, Trevor White, North West, Craftsman, Andy Bream to name just a few!!) and I can guarantee that I am a cuemakers nightmare as I am so fussy with my different specs BUT all the above cuemakers have all produced first class cues. I must say that (in MY opinion) the very best cue that I have ever had made for me was a John Parris 'Special' maple cue that was just about perfect but like an idiot I had a bad match one night, blamed the cue and sold it!! Trevor White has also made me some spectacular cues and I personally think that the finish on his ash cues is unbeatable.

In my opinion, if you get a hand made cue from John Parris (Special, Paragon or Ultimate) then the cue will be 'as good as it gets'. John even has a guarantee that if you are not happy with the cue that you receive then he will make you another cue.

I was in London the week before Christmas and called in to see a friend who lives in Forest Hill so decided to visit the Parris shop there and spent about 3 hours chatting to John. Eventually I asked him if he had any of the cues that he makes for Ronnie O'Sullivan and he went into the workshop and brought out a couple of the actual cues. Both were 'Ultimates' and they had both been made for Ronnie back in September and sent to him to try out but he had eventually returned them as he is now searching for even more particular 'arrows' pattern on the shaft!! So, there I was, standing in the John Parris shop, holding a cue that I knew was made for Ronnie so before I knew what I had done I talked John Parris into selling one of them to me!! So I am now the proud owner of a cue that in my opinion is just about perfect. Every splice is perfect, the balance is lovely, it is silky smooth and just feels fantastic..................but I am still a rubbish snooker player!!

I know what most of you will be thinking........what a plonker!! But I don't mind, it is just a very special cue.

Oldgit
        how long before that cue ends up with me.............
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

as for the original post i find it hard to imagine that john would not help resolve any issues if you phoned him i have always found him to be a very professional guy to deal with.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

i have a john parris cue, not an ultimate
            i treat it very incautiously, not putting in a case when not playing, leaning on the wall, knock on the table when i miss an easy shot...

but...it is still a perfectly straight cue and play great!
            im surprised that there is no damage done on the cue over the years, apart from a few very little dents.

Comment

Well you cant please everyone all the time. I'm not the best at answering emails I get loads, it takes ages and I just dont get the time. If you call me it will be a lot easier and I am sure we can sort it out. I do still do a lot of the work on ALL of the cues, not just the pros. I also constantly oversee all the other work that is done. And I only employ craftsman to do it. I would dispute the bad quality claims the cues are ALL made in the same way that they always have been. And quite likely by the same people. I am also constantly looking for the highest grade matereals I can find. Non of the cues are mass produced and thay are ALL 100% made by us in forest hill (has anyone heard of the trade descriptions act). There have always been rumours and stories about my cues and I expect there always will be. As for the remark about me making my money years ago. I dont think you know how much it costs to make a cue, they may be expensive but they do cost a lot to make. We only make around 20 cues a week and with a workforce of 12 I don't think you can call this mass production. I would love to know where people get their expert inside information from to make these comments about us. I don't usually read or answer these threads as it only winds me up.
              So I have had my moan. All I would say is that there are a lot of people out there very happy with my cues from the classic upwards. If you get one and you are not happy let me know don't just moan about it to other people

Comment

and as if by magic.........the shop keeper appears:snooker:

Comment

It's nice to see you here replying john, might put a stop to all the unfounded rubbish that spout from some people...

Ant...:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by john parris View Post
                    .... I'm not the best at answering emails I get loads, it takes ages and I just dont get the time....If you get one and you are not happy let me know don't just moan about it to other people
                    With all due respect John, that appears to be the problem. ???? The person who started this thread tried to contact you by email, and because you didnt answer he moaned to us

Comment

I would not trouble yourself answering these types of things John.
                      It is just a bit of forum banter.

Enough people in the know stick up for you on here.

My question is are you doing a new purple range???:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                        I would not trouble yourself answering these types of things John.
                        It is just a bit of forum banter.

Enough people in the know stick up for you on here.

My question is are you doing a new purple range???:snooker:
                        and enough people who are deffo in the know DONT !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by john parris View Post
                          If you get one and you are not happy let me know don't just moan about it to other people
                          Now I'll reconsider to put JP cue in my list of collection, again....
                          My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by rob View Post
                            i recently received my new john parris exclusive cue, iam extremely unhappy with the finish. the grain is lifting in 2 places,i could get a splinter if it lifts anymore. we have tried to talk thru numerous emails but have had no response from john parris. has anybody else had any trouble ?????:
                            It seems that the problem is a defective cue and not a cue that the customer is not happy with when playing becuase it does not suit him or his style of play or whatever may be the case

That being said it is hard to imagine how a comapnyproducing twenty cues a week can have a problem with grain lifting. Surely it is easy for to quality check twenty cues a week. ?????

Comment

yes, we've seen quite a number of wenbo's skinny little cousins in his workshop

Comment

20 cues a week is little or a lot? thats like saying, we only produce 20 paintings a week, surely they can all be checked properly.
                                making a cue is about craftsmanship, quality not quantity that counts. the poster said nothing about playability of the cue, after all all cues are just a piece of ash. the poster was complaining about the finish and thats about craftsmanship. people buy john parris cues expecting that the splicing and finish are meticulously done. in the poster's case, this does not seem to be the case.
                                i have seen some new parris cues in my club. frankly, the finishes are ok but not what i would expect from john parris.

Comment

Working...
                                X