john parris cue problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
    20 cues a week is little or a lot? thats like saying, we only produce 20 paintings a week, surely they can all be checked properly.
    making a cue is about craftsmanship, quality not quantity that counts. the poster said nothing about playability of the cue, after all all cues are just a piece of ash. the poster was complaining about the finish and thats about craftsmanship. people buy john parris cues expecting that the splicing and finish are meticulously done. in the poster's case, this does not seem to be the case.
    i have seen some new parris cues in my club. frankly, the finishes are ok but not what i would expect from john parris.

20 cues a week does not mean 20 Exclusives a week, the original thread starter is talking about having problems with an Exclusive, and we shouldn't comment further until he can post pictures showing how the "grain" is "lifting"

and the new Parris cues that you see in the club, have you confirmed the authenticity of these Parris cues not some East Asian knock offs? I know snooker rooms in HK that uses Parris cues as their club cues, and I can tell you, these Parris cues did not come from John Parris in UK... Even if you see someone using a Parris cue, you need to find out if they have ever decided to resand and refinish the cues themselve as many people do...

Comment

John,
      Thank you for taking the time to answer and address your customers' concerns.
      This forum is full of all sorts of people. A lot of them are very nice, but we do have some who like to complain, make up rumors, or just flame for the hack of it. Some simply do not know what they are talking about.
      Please do not let these types of things stop you from sharing your vast knowledge and experience with us.
      Would love to read more of your posts.
      Thank you.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

haha, no they are not asian knock-offs. the ones you are talking about are from shenzhen and they just put a fake parris nameplate on them. actually, they don't use those in clubs anymore, they produce fake rileys instead now. and they also buy in mass from o'min. i know the shop that sells these to the clubs.
        you are right about exclusives, however, its just that you cannot get a guarantee its john the master craftsman who is making your cue. its as simple as that. people buy a van gogh because van gogh painted it, not one of his disciples.

Comment

i don't know why you posted that reply to me.
          i was just sharing a personal view and experience. i don't think this forum is limited to expert cue makers.
          you can disagree with my viewpoint

Comment

i should have been a little clearer in my earlier posting.
            the john parris cues i've been viewing are not club cues. they are personal cues being sold or traded by players in my club.

Comment

John,

I had sent you an email on regards to resplice my old ultimate cue inorder to lengthen it to 57".

Maybe you can reply me on that.
              willysellcue@yahoo.com

Regards

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                I would not trouble yourself answering these types of things John.
                It is just a bit of forum banter.

Enough people in the know stick up for you on here.

My question is are you doing a new purple range???:snooker:

Spot on mate.

Comment

John,

I like to thank you for your quick reply after you have seen the posting on this thread.

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit
                    Just a little rumour here, that I heard recently. Can't confirm. JP cue, Hongkong version, comes from Vietnam. Faked for sure
                    hehe... I don't know, it was quite funny, there's a snooker room in HK that I went to, all the club cues are John Parris, they play quite good and solid too! But I'm pretty sure they aren't geniune..

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
                      i should have been a little clearer in my earlier posting.
                      the john parris cues i've been viewing are not club cues. they are personal cues being sold or traded by players in my club.

the point here is, how do you know these cues are from the right source, did they buy it from a reputable shop? Did they refinish the cue themselves?

Because your comment does not make sense, based on your judgement, you said the cue are only "finished" to an "ok" standard, now do we doubt John's ability to quality check his cue before it leaves his factory to make sure a cue is "finished" properly? How many minutes do you think it will take John to look at 1 cue to spot one that aren't "finished" properly?

And your van gogh comparison is not right either, even Mike publicly acknowledges on his website that even if you order a cue, he does not make every single cue from start to finish personally, so do you have a problem with that too?
                      Last edited by lk8; 7 January 2010, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                        John,
                        Thank you for taking the time to answer and address your customers' concerns.
                        This forum is full of all sorts of people. A lot of them are very nice, but we do have some who like to complain, make up rumors, or just flame for the hack of it. Some simply do not know what they are talking about.
                        Please do not let these types of things stop you from sharing your vast knowledge and experience with us.
                        Would love to read more of your posts.
                        Thank you.

And why would all these clueless people want to criticize and spread unfounded rumours?
                        Are we rival cuemakers? Are we useless players who blame our cues ? Or just clueless whiners ? That sure aint me mate, I stated that for what I paid I did not get value for money, and yes I do know the difference. And yes I did phone for a replacement, was charged extra for one which was poorer than the first.
                        I'm sure many people have been pleased with the product, I've seen older models which are some of the best around. But there must be some truth to what's been said, many who post on here are clued up contrary to what you suggest.

Comment

Originally Posted by lk8 View Post
                          20 cues a week does not mean 20 Exclusives a week, the original thread starter is talking about having problems with an Exclusive, and we shouldn't comment further until he can post pictures showing how the "grain" is "lifting"

and the new Parris cues that you see in the club, have you confirmed the authenticity of these Parris cues not some East Asian knock offs? I know snooker rooms in HK that uses Parris cues as their club cues, and I can tell you, these Parris cues did not come from John Parris in UK... Even if you see someone using a Parris cue, you need to find out if they have ever decided to resand and refinish the cues themselve as many people do...
                          To put that in perspective for you, Peradon made many cues collected today, and some now fetch £200-300..

See Quote from their website:

"Early in the 20th century the first cue lathe was invented which allowed for the tapered turning of the cues so that the output of one man was increased from ten or 12 cues per day up to almost 140 cues per day."
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Old cue collector --
                          Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                          (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                            To put that in perspective for you, Peradon made many cues collected today, and some now fetch £200-300..

See Quote from their website:

"Early in the 20th century the first cue lathe was invented which allowed for the tapered turning of the cues so that the output of one man was increased from ten or 12 cues per day up to almost 140 cues per day."

we understand there's many types of machinery that allows automation in tapering any type of materials, so are you saying NO, John doesn't import cues from Thailand to refinish and rebadge in his names? Or are you saying YES, John uses these machinery to mass produce cues? Or what are you trying to say?

Comment

Originally Posted by lk8 View Post
                              we understand there's many types of machinery that allows automation in tapering any type of materials, so are you saying NO, John doesn't import cues from Thailand to refinish and rebadge in his names? Or are you saying YES, John uses these machinery to mass produce cues? Or what are you trying to say?

I'm saying if they produce 20 cues a week per 12 people, and a hundred years ago it was possible for one person to produce such nunbers it gives you a good impression of the time and effort they're putting in to their cues. How on earth you draw your other conclusions is beyond me, I've stated several times I've been more than satisfied with each JP cue I've owned.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Old cue collector --
                              Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                              (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                                I'm saying if they produce 20 cues a week per 12 people, and a hundred years ago it was possible for one person to produce such nunbers it gives you a good impression of the time and effort they're putting in to their cues. How on earth you draw your other conclusions is beyond me, I've stated several times I've been more than satisfied with each JP cue I've owned.
                                oops, not having a go at you, just thought you should make it clearer so people will understand what you meant... I didn't take notice of your previous post... maybe you should go back to read mine too...

Comment

Working...
                                X