Painted butt splices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted butt splices

Came across this on ebay,,must say i have never heard of woods cues..upon reading this persons feedback for his cues a couple of negative feedback because they say the butts are only painted on and not exotic hand splice wood..has anyone heard of this before ?

this is the cue in question...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Handmade-1-Pie...item19b8d8b74d
    Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Lower end cues are often "ebonised" aka painted black instead of spliced, (see rileys in argos, JJB Sports etc.; MBS cues)
    Looks like yet another chinese cue rebadged to me aka JX cues.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Thanks for the reply....i just dont understand how the can get away with it.. !
      I think these people are getting these cues from the far east and they are just sticking there own named disk on the butt..

cheers.
      Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

that cue is a rebranded JX cue....

but i will say for the average player JX dont actually make bad cues, I use one and am more than happy with it!!! (in fact i have been offered £150 for it but refused to sell it on)

Comment

I think most of the chinese cues are actually spliced, whether by machines or low cost labour in the far east or what I don't know but they produce an awful lot of cues with the same aluminium painted extensions strange names youve never heard of, JX, Dark horse, stuff like that. usually with the same ebay designs too. the multicoloured specs on left with the pics on right. Same cases too.

Problem is you don't know how well seasoned etc. the wood is and how long it will last without warping etc. Its defnitely largely overpriced there.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

The Jury i out on this particular cue in terms of if it's spliced or painted? Cant really tell from pictures, but it looks too 'perfect' around the splicing? At £159 it is over-priced for Chinese import though. Should stick well clear... Had one imported cue before and first time I tried the telescopic ext. it came apart.. so the quality is suspect.

Comment

this guy is the seller of the famous Kevin Sharland cues, he just changed his ebay ID and badge, but incredibly kept the exact same layout... If you've been here long enough you should know...

Comment

Alot of chinese mass produced cues do wind up in australia

some places sell the most crappy imitation "john parris" cues ive ever seen, i dont know who the hell would fall for it but usually the splices are real, but far from even.

JX and Dark Horse cues, although mass produced theyre actually that crappy, like the craftmanship is second rate but at least it is properly spliced with a decent attempt for even splicing.

Design wise they are always making new designs with some interesting woods soo sometimes u do come across something that looks pretty nice.

The main problem with them is the Quality of the woods they use, im sure its not the BEST grade ash and ebony, often the ebony is ebonised to hide the sub quality of their materials, the ash is not seasoned and is a lil whippy lacks feeling in ur stroke.

however, they still play better than most of the crap available here. this saids its it all, when u ask any billiards and cue sport shop in australia
                "what kinda cues do u have?"
                they tend to go "so do u like footy or cricket" and try to sell u a cue with ur team flag on it..

selection is limited here, unless u know the few aussie cue makers around u can either go for an over priced peradon cue, ur run of the mill Riley or BCE machine or ebonised or take ur chances with something a lil more real off ebay.

BCE heritage collection is the most EBONISED cue ive ever seen..

Comment

If i paid that much money for this cue and it was painted on then i would be hella ****ed off. In saying that the paint work is pritty good, do they do any canvas work?

Comment

hello, i have a 'woods cue' and they are really good. i am only 13 so i cant exactly buy an expensive cue so i bought one of those of ebay for £40 with aluminium case and mini butt and big extension. the cue is actually rosewood painted black to look like ebony but the cue is not bad at all. i have had my cue for about 3 weeks now and i have already hit a 79 break with it and i have had it for 3 weeks!!!

my old cue which was a cannon cue made by peradon, again not the best but cheap i made a 112 break with that and i had it for about 4 months. i have been playing for 2 years. HAND MADE WOODS CUES ARE PRETTY GOOD FOR PRICE.

my cue is maple hand spliced zebra wood 17.5 oz. like i said rosewood butt with black paint which to be fair looks like ebony to an idiot but clearly isnt.

hope i helped.
                    Last edited by snookerloopy7; 20 October 2010, 11:04 PM.
                    "Play The Game By The Rules, Or Play a Different Game" anon:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy7 View Post
                      hello, i have a 'woods cue' and they are really good. i am only 13 so i cant exactly buy an expensive cue so i bought one of those of ebay for £40 with aluminium case and mini butt and big extension. the cue is actually rosewood painted black to look like ebony but the cue is not bad at all. i have had my cue for about 3 weeks now and i have already hit a 79 break with it and i have had it for 3 weeks!!!

my old cue which was a cannon cue made by peradon, again not the best but cheap i made a 112 break with that and i had it for about 4 months. i have been playing for 2 years. HAND MADE WOODS CUES ARE PRETTY GOOD FOR PRICE.

my cue is maple hand spliced zebra wood 17.5 oz. like i said rosewood butt with black paint which to be fair looks like ebony to an idiot but clearly isnt.

hope i helped.
                      Was that the cue you just tried to sell me for £120 + £10p+p ?

Comment

Nice try eh

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Nice try eh
                          Lol . Had never heard of the make before so I googled it when he asked if I wanted it. Came up with some cues on ebay at like 40-60 quid. Already a con man at 13 lol

Comment

Hi,

WOODS CUE not made by JX.

★★ woods cue are rosewood splice be painted with black.
                            ★★★ woods cue are ebony splice .
                            woodscue@gmail.com

Easy way to custom made your cue

www.handmade-cue.com

Comment

yes im the next real hustle lol i have **woods cue but its really nice so........i have another i was trying to sell which has not been used.
                              "Play The Game By The Rules, Or Play a Different Game" anon:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X