Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brand new Aurora cue

Happy new year to all of you.

Two days before Christmas I received my Aurora cue from poolqjunkie and I am happy to share my experience here with you.

When the cue arrived and I unpacked it I became a bit unsure as the cue is much softer in spring than what I am used to. It is difficult to explain. The cue is not whippy. To my experience whippiness is more in the top end of a cue. This cue is not soft or whippy, it is more that the frequency and the damping of the spring is lower, to put it like an engineer.
    And Airin told me in advance that the cue is a bit butt weighted. My playing cue is quite stiff and forward balanced so I really was not sure if I could handle this beauty.

But all the concerns vanished after a few shots.

I had not many cues in my hands with such a good feedback. I can feel exactly the power of the impact to the cue ball. After playing some balls it was easy to put the right amount of side and power to the cue ball.
    Usually I am quite delicate concerning the balance point but I had a natural and good feeling while handling the cue. I totally forgot after some minutes that it is my first go with this cue.

Well, and I destroyed my Snooker mate 3:0 that afternoon...

If this is the playability standard of Aurora cues I can absolutely recommend it.

Now to the marks for artistic impression:

Poolqjunkie (the man behind Aurora) send me some pics in advance and I immediately fell in love with this unusual tulipwood. It has a wonderful nice brown color and really nice grain.
    The piece of ash he chose is a cracker. 5 chevrons on the top, well aligned. One long, dark arrow on the back, almost plain belly.
    The jet black ebony splices are very well made and on a high level.
    The thick maple veneers show some grain and I really like that. Honey colored and well matching to the tulipwood.
    And that tulipwood is soooo beautiful. The left and right splice is a few millimeters longer that top and bottom splice but I really don't care. Left and right is on the exact same level and also top and bottom.

The only point is that I had to remove the varnish from the butt. But that is my personal thing as my hands start to sweat on varnished cues and I have the feeling of not having the perfect connection to the cue if it is varnished (sounds somewhat esoteric when written...)

To sum it up Airin has not to hide behind the other very good cue makers out there. If the cue would have been delivered from Dave Coutts, Tony Glover or Robin Cook I would have been happy with the quality as well.

Thank you, my friend for making me this well playing beauty and for opening up my mind for a complete different characteristic of cue than I had before.
    Last edited by ChatLag; 20 February 2010, 12:41 PM.
    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Chatlag:

That appears to be a one-piece, although it's hard to tell as Airin's joints are almost invisible.

I have an Aurora one-piece which I'm presetnly using and I also ordered a 3/4-butt which I now have but am not using since I don't want to switch right now in the middle of the season.

I can agree whole heartedly with your comments as both these Aurora cues are superior in both feel and looks.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry, you are absolutely right.
      I forgot to tell but it is a 1pc cue....

And there are a lot worse alternatives to invest.
      I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

how much did it cost you mate?
        RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

A fabulous looking cue from a man who seems to be a top craftsman.

Comment

Thank you very much for your compliment. It has been a great delight to build you a cue. I am so happy you beat your opponent 3-0 with it first time you use it.
              Thank you very much for taking the time to take the pictures and post your detailed feedback.
              Have a Happy New Year.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Congratulations, Chatleg! I just got my Aurora cue a week ago from poolqjunkie's partner Richard. It did plays very well. Nice shaft, beautiful ebony. One thing I need to address is that because Richard and I live in the same city, I tried several cues that they made, and they all hit great.

Terry, I heard that you just got an Aurora cue. I saw the picture and it looks beautiful. Same reason that I am not gonna use my Aurora until I have som time to get use to it. How's your game in Toronto, I heard that you are doing great!!!!!

Comment

looks good - reminds me of an early tony ions cue.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

michael:

My game is progressing, but very slowly. However, I'm leaving for the UK shortly for 3 weeks and I hope to get some problems sorted out when I'm over there as I'm getting some one-on-one at Terry Griffiths' Matchroom and also with Nic Barrow

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry:

Awesome! good luck and have a save trip. I'll try to make the Canadian Champion this year. Hopefully, I'll see you in summer!

Michael

Comment

Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
                        Congratulations, Chatleg! I just got my Aurora cue a week ago from poolqjunkie's partner Richard. It did plays very well. Nice shaft, beautiful ebony. One thing I need to address is that because Richard and I live in the same city, I tried several cues that they made, and they all hit great.

Terry, I heard that you just got an Aurora cue. I saw the picture and it looks beautiful. Same reason that I am not gonna use my Aurora until I have som time to get use to it. How's your game in Toronto, I heard that you are doing great!!!!!
                        Thanks Michael. My partner is buying some wood in the US now, but he will be back either today or tomorrow.

I am so glad to hear that you like your Aurora cue. Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        looks good - reminds me of an early tony ions cue.
                        Thanks ADR147.
                        Last edited by poolqjunkie; 5 January 2010, 04:56 PM.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

poolqjunkie--how would i get in touch with you to talk to you about your cues, how busy you are, prices, etc.--new to this forum (not snooker) can't find a way to email you, or they won't let me for lack of post. I'm in the states, just below Vancouver, BC Have seen your pics. Look very nice.

bob

Comment

Originally Posted by ryker View Post
                            poolqjunkie--how would i get in touch with you to talk to you about your cues, how busy you are, prices, etc.--new to this forum (not snooker) can't find a way to email you, or they won't let me for lack of post. I'm in the states, just below Vancouver, BC Have seen your pics. Look very nice.

bob
                            Hi Bob,
                            On this forum, you would need to have 10 posts to use the Pm system.
                            My email is auroracues at aol dot com.
                            Looking forward to your email.
                            Thank you very much for your interest.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Hi Bob,
                              I received your email and I have replied it.
                              Thank you.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X