Upon acquire ... ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upon acquire ... ....

Hi everybody, a very good day to you guys and i wish you and your family a happy 2010!!!

Now, i really hoped someone here whom can actually enlighten me on the following... 'Upon acquirering a brand new cue...there's an advise gaven from someone saying that there's actually a need to sand away a layer of don't know 'what' that's initially on the new cue shaft. This stunt was executed
    using don't know what grade sand-paper think he mentioned sand-paper
    grade 2000 or something. However, he added it's not necessary a must and it's soley based on each new cue's condition, for this instance my new cue fell into his category. "Because its Rough"

For certain i knew it has got something to do with cue's smoothness and that's what my current cue is lacking, quite lacking till the extend that after
    15-20mins of potting, cue begins roughening up and thing is i've cloth wiped with furniture spray just before frame.

Million thanks in advance for all advises!!!
    Will those snookies im playing with ever stop calling me a 'ONE-pointer for a day!

What cue is it exactly and why are you using furniture spray on it

The only reason to use sandpaper on a cue would be if its a cheap varnished cue and to remove the varnish.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

sand away a layer of a new cue? :S maybe they meant on a lacquered cheap cue but then again i heard that this is not advised anyways because the quality of the wood beneath might not be great

EDIT: i see RGC got there first

Comment

ummm - i think life might be too short for me to answer this......
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Why dun you call me up at 97373095 and i will explain it to you in details.

Yes, you will need to sand away the laqaur if the cue feels stickly within 1-2 frame. That is very much your own prefereences not a must. The funture spary you mention is a wax not a cleaner for your information.

Comment

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
            Why dun you call me up at 97373095 and i will explain it to you in details.

Yes, you will need to sand away the laqaur if the cue feels stickly within 1-2 frame. That is very much your own prefereences not a must. The funture spary you mention is a wax not a cleaner for your information.

Hi bro willytan, it's great to see your reply! Hayhay' its great ya know what im talking about. I'll call you around 11am tomorrow, thanks buddy! For furniture spray wise, be it cleaner be it wax, i must say its result was absolutely fabulous. Everybody in the house are using it, cool man isn't it
            Will those snookies im playing with ever stop calling me a 'ONE-pointer for a day!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              What cue is it exactly and why are you using furniture spray on it

The only reason to use sandpaper on a cue would be if its a cheap varnished cue and to remove the varnish.
              *Cheap varnished cue* Your almost correct but worst still far cheaper than cheap, it's a "FREE" brand new cue gaven to me from my snooker tables and equipments supplier, thank you Wiraka... ...cue is not a wiraka brand though!

Well if you wanna know exactly what cue it is, will only have to post you a pic of the logo section to see as me has yet to figure it out. I think a magnifiying glass will aids in this instance! Cheers!

Regarding the spray thingy, as what Willytan had also mention its a furniture wax spray only da... initially it sounds like some kinda hard solvent ya, no worries k! Most snookies swear by it after using it for the first time!
              Last edited by wannabenumb; 5 January 2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
                sand away a layer of a new cue? :S maybe they meant on a lacquered cheap cue but then again i heard that this is not advised anyways because the quality of the wood beneath might not be great

EDIT: i see RGC got there first

Like i mentioned, sand away the don't know what on the cue's (cheap)shaft definately not the wood itself.
                After reading RGC's post and yours, ive concluded that its either the varnished thingy or lacquer thingy.

Comment

Yeh if its a varnished cue you can sand the varnish off and then treat the wood with linseed oil. I'm sure Willytan will explain it to you when he rings up. But all you need to keep the cue from becoming sticky is a damp (not wet) towel and a dry one. Wipe the cue first with the damp towel, and then quickly dry with the dry one and it will stop it from getting sticky.

Comment

Yeh if its a varnished cue you can sand the varnish off and then treat the wood with linseed oil. I'm sure Willytan will explain it to you when he rings up. But all you need to keep the cue from becoming sticky is a damp (not wet) towel and a dry one. Wipe the cue first with the damp towel, and then quickly dry with the dry one and it will stop it from getting sticky.

Thank you RGC, i'll definately heed your valuable advises. Yup, i rang willytan yesterday and he instructed me a stunt or two to be executed on it, ThankS
                    Willytan...!!!"

Mr RGC, can i use olive oil instead of linseed oil? In regards to the damp/dry towel cleaning procedures, when its best being carried out example during before or after the game? Again thanks! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      ummm - i think life might be too short for me to answer this......

Hi ADR147 can share with me why is it so?

Comment

Hey bro,

As spoken yesterday on the phone, the spray wax will only provide you a tempo smooth and waxy feel on your shaft after you spray n wipe it clean with a dry cloth.

After prolong usage, your bridging hand will also be affected as the wax spray contains alot of other chemicals. (for those who tends to have sensitive skin)

Olive oil & linseed oil is totally diff. Actually you can maintain it weekly by using your spray wax then wipe it dry with a dry cloth. That will be more than enough.

If you dun mind spending more, you can go get a bottle of cue oil either by Omin or mastercue from local qshop or saloon which is ard $15.

Apply a layer of cue oil on your cue monthly then leave it to dry overnite, wipe it clean with a dry cloth.

* Always thruly clean your cue before your monthly or weekly maintainance.

Comment

Wiping your cloth you do whenever it feels sticky. If you notice on TV sometimes before an important shot a palyer will go bak to his seat and wipe down his cue in exactly the same way. make sure your hands are clean before you play and slightly damp one cue towel. Then if you feel your cue becoming sticky just wipe it down then dry. Only takes a second and you shouldn't have to do it that often

Comment

Wiping your cloth you do whenever it feels sticky. If you notice on TV sometimes before an important shot a palyer will go bak to his seat and wipe down his cue in exactly the same way. make sure your hands are clean before you play and slightly damp one cue towel. Then if you feel your cue becoming sticky just wipe it down then dry. Only takes a second and you shouldn't have to do it that often
                            Alright thanks, i do accordingly to what you've recommemded, thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
                              Hey bro,

As spoken yesterday on the phone, the spray wax will only provide you a tempo smooth and waxy feel on your shaft after you spray n wipe it clean with a dry cloth.

After prolong usage, your bridging hand will also be affected as the wax spray contains alot of other chemicals. (for those who tends to have sensitive skin)

Olive oil & linseed oil is totally diff. Actually you can maintain it weekly by using your spray wax then wipe it dry with a dry cloth. That will be more than enough.

If you dun mind spending more, you can go get a bottle of cue oil either by Omin or mastercue from local qshop or saloon which is ard $15.

Apply a layer of cue oil on your cue monthly then leave it to dry overnite, wipe it clean with a dry cloth.

* Always thruly clean your cue before your monthly or weekly maintainance.
                              Mr Willytan, i really appreciated & thanked cue immensely for all sincere advises rendered to me.

Oil used: *Cheap olive oil* with several types of vitamins and fragrant" ( $3.15 )
                              Bro i gonna tell you this! After executing stunt taught by you, cheapo cue of mine plays & looks fabulous, its being praised by many since.

Eventually many snookies now wanna have their cues done too. (Im charging $10 per cue and $5 extra for a new tip change to go with. Till date, i've done three other players' cues of which one belongs to my boss. They were exteremely satisfied with its results (especially my boss), hay..hay...hay... felt kinda achievement when i knew i've succeeded.

RESULTS: "Outlook" of my cue's shaft almost projects looks like hunt & obone, john paris and a 20yrs old power-glider!
                              "PLEASE NOTE": Good cues wise (I've SEEN only these three before)as i've mentioned earlier. Really, no words since ablerable to discribe its type of smoothness inflicted :snooker:

Bro, can you give me Qshop new address? Heard they've shifted from the initial Bras basar complex to waterloo street right? Do you mind giving the exact location in waterloo street, thanks! Reason is that im bringing one of my customers there to buy a new cue.
                              Last edited by wannabenumb; 16 January 2010, 05:27 AM. Reason: include type of oil used

Comment

Working...
                              X