ferrule size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ferrule size

Just about to order a new cue and wondering if all cuemakers use the same size ferrules or do some use shorter ones than others . Im not sure of the average size but i,ve seen some cues with quite long ferrules which I dont like the look and prefer shorter ones . How many of you request a specific size or do you all go with whatever the maker fits

Neil

I have a custom made cue with a 9.5mm diameter ferrule which is 8mm long and in my opinion looks alot better than my mates cue which has the same diameter ferrule but his is 9.5mm long its only 1.5mm but it looks totally different. I think the longer the ferrule the more it looks like a pub cue.

Comment

Thanks Woody ,

Yes i totally agree with you to me a long ferrule seems to spoil the look of a cue . When i order my cue i will specify a short ferrule ie 8mm

Comment

I ordered a cue from master craft recently, the cue arrived as per my spec but, did not do it for me. the first thing I notice was the the ferrel was very long. I sold the cue on for a £20 loss. The first thing the buyer said to me was "the ferrel is very long". Nuff said.

Comment

i have a glover cue, the ferrule is 9.5mm long which i dont really like that

i too prefer a shorter ferrule and any suggestion on how can i shorten it down to like 8-8.5mm?

Comment

Same here, long ferrule is a big turn off for me.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Thanks for replies everyone . It would be interesting to find out what length ferrules different cue makers use . If i bought a cue with a long ferrule it would turn me off straight away even it looked great and was a good player

Comment

have a glover cue, the ferrule is 9.5mm long which i dont really like that

i too prefer a shorter ferrule and any suggestion on how can i shorten it down to like 8-8.5mm?

Hi Aaron

Why dont you start a new thread and ask . I,m sure there will be plenty of places that members will recommend to make this alteration for you , or even better pheraps someone on here may offer to do it for you.
                Last edited by hotpot; 8 January 2010, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Whatever you do dont try do it yourself by hand, either get a cue maker or someone with a lathe to face the end of your cue. If you make the top of the cue uneven when you put a new tip on it wont stay on very long at all

Comment

Originally Posted by woody3235 View Post
                    Whatever you do dont try do it yourself by hand, either get a cue maker or someone with a lathe to face the end of your cue. If you make the top of the cue uneven when you put a new tip on it wont stay on very long at all
                    You could always invest in a cuetop sanding machine from ebay for about £15. It may take you a couple of weeks to file a couple of mm off tho..
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Old cue collector --
                    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                      I ordered a cue from master craft recently, the cue arrived as per my spec but, did not do it for me. the first thing I notice was the the ferrel was very long. I sold the cue on for a £20 loss. The first thing the buyer said to me was "the ferrel is very long". Nuff said.
                      should have sent it back to mastercraft they would have altered it for you

Comment

Originally Posted by excellentrocket View Post
                        should have sent it back to mastercraft they would have altered it for you
                        Please don't take my post the wrong way, I'm not knocking master craft in anyway.
                        The cue was perfect and Dave was very helpful. I sold it on as I felt MY JP played better. All I was saying is that the ferrel was long and I do not like long ferrels, this is just a matter of taste. Someone else maybe more than happy with this type of ferrel. I have no problem with master craft and would do business with them again. There cues are great value for money and I would recommend them to anyone on this forum.:snooker:
                        PS: the person I sold the cue onto is very happy with the cue
                        Last edited by cazmac1; 9 January 2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

understood

Comment

Interesting thread this.... & re-assuring........i thought i was the only one fussy enough to specify how tall a ferrule should be when ordering a cue........lol

Thing is a ferrule too tall/long always reminds me of an old cheap pool cue where you screw the tips into it, soon as i see a ferrule like this its puts me off the cue & i have to get it altered straight away & made smaller.

For me i think this stems from using old Burroughes & Watts cue's when i first started playing.....as many of these had the pigeon ring ferrules that are traditionally small, i also think the actual feel of the cue isn't the same with a taller ferrule......although this might just be cycological........

Horses for courses though.......all down to personal choice.........but if it bothers you always best to make it clear from the start when ordering a cue rather than take a chance.....can't go wrong then.
                            Last edited by CueAntW147; 9 January 2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X