Cue length to shoulder, myth or fact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue length to shoulder, myth or fact?

Was told years ago a general guide to the correct length of cue to suit, is that it should come to your shoulder whilst stand up right. The reason for asking is that im thinking of getting a longer cue as currently a couple of inches short. Myth or fact? Agree / disagree?

Hi Dave
    I think this is a rough guide. I'm now using a cue that is about 2 inches shorter than my shoulder height, I wanted to tighten my action up a bit and this seemed like a good way to do it. It works for me.
    Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element

Comment

Lots of posts on this subect if you use search
      But shoulder height has nothing to do with cue length.
      It is to due with arm length, bridge distance, how much you bend your bridge arm etc. etc.

A short person with long arms will require a longer cue than a tall person with short arms.
      Get down in your address position with your current cue and adjust your grip arm so that the forearm is vertical from elbow to grip. (If cue is too short tip will be no where near the white, but thats fine)
      Now get a friend to measure the distance fom the back of your grip hand to the cueball.
      Last edited by RGCirencester; 9 January 2010, 03:02 PM.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
        Lots of posts on this subect if you use search
        But shoulder height has nothing to do with cue length.
        It is to due with arm length, bridge distance, how much you bend your bridge arm etc. etc.

A short person with long arms will require a longer cue than a tall person with long arms.
        Get down in your address position with your current cue and adjust your grip arm so that the forearm is vertical from elbow to grip. (If cue is too short tip will be no where near the white, but thats fine)
        Now get a friend to measure the distance fom the back of your grip hand to the cueball.
        very much agreed

Comment

Originally Posted by DaveE 124 View Post
          Was told years ago a general guide to the correct length of cue to suit, is that it should come to your shoulder whilst stand up right. The reason for asking is that im thinking of getting a longer cue as currently a couple of inches short. Myth or fact? Agree / disagree?
          HI i played Jimmy White in a charity snooker night after my frame Jimmy said to me that my cue was to small for me iam 6 foot 4 my cue was the standard 58 in long so i went to Tony Ions and got it lengthend to 61,5 ins and it has improved my action and game .So ask some one to look at you cueing up and see if the cue is to small .

Comment

Agree.. Cue length is does not have to reach shoulder as some people are short and have long hands.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Funny how you forget the basics, but with reminders i can now get back to the table and see for myself. Great help ,thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X