Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue swapping???

Hi all,

Anybody else on here constantly swapping their playing cues?

I am a compulsive swapper of my cue, In the last 10 - 15 years the cues I have played with as my main playing cue (from what I can remember) are:

* Peradon - plain black butt 3/4
    * Peradon - Ebony butt 4 burr splices, front splice Kingwood with blue veneers 3/4
    * Dave White - Plain ebony butt 3/4
    * Dave White - Ebony, 4 Becote splices, green veneers, 1 piece
    * Craftman Majestic - Ebony, 4 tulip wood splices front ebony splice 3/4
    * Riley Prize cue - Plain Ebony 1 piece
    * John Parris Professional - Ebony, Padauk splices 3/4
    * Master cue - Plain ebony, 3/4
    * Glover cue - plain Ebony, 3/4
    * Mike Wooldridge - plain Ebony 3/4
    * Willie Smith Champion - Macassar butt 1pce
    * Robin Cook - Ebony, front splice Rosewood thick Maple veneer 1 piece
    * Robin Cook - 12 splices Becote & Ebony all alternating 1 piece
    * John Parris Special - 8 Splices Ebony & Padauk alternating
    * Trevor White - Ebony, double front splice tulip wood, green veneers 1pce
    * Trevor White - Ebony, Ovongkal front splice thick maple veneer 1pce
    * Trevor White - plain ebony 3/4
    * Dave Coutts - Macassar, front splice tulip wood, satin wood veneer 1 pce.

The Dave Coutts cue is my current playing registered number 7.

I have also had many other cues as I was a keen collector so tried numerous burwat champions, joe davis cues etc... as well as a mastercraft and a Northwest but the cues on the above list were all cues I had as my main cue for at least a month.

I have only had the Coutts cue since June 2009 and im already getting the itch to get a new Wooldridge cue.

I dont know why I want to change so often I just do, its not even as though I can blame it on not playing well and blaming the cue because I have played well with all the cues on the list and I am currently playing really well with the Coutts cue.

Wonder if ADR has a cure for this
    Last edited by Burwat Champ; 16 January 2010, 09:13 AM.
    Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

I am exactly the same.

I buy a cue, I play it and in some cases it feels like I found "The One".
    In the other cases I sell the cue quite quick.

But after a while I start to take another of my cues to play with it and I feel that need to buy another cue.

Sometimes I feel I should focus on one playing cue but my discipline is nood good enough to do...
    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
      I am exactly the same.

I buy a cue, I play it and in some cases it feels like I found "The One".
      In the other cases I sell the cue quite quick.

But after a while I start to take another of my cues to play with it and I feel that need to buy another cue.

Sometimes I feel I should focus on one playing cue but my discipline is nood good enough to do...
      This affliction is called dominicdaleo'sullivan itus syndrome.

The grass seems always greener with cues...looking for the 'one'

I have owned quite a few and this all started after the 'one' a MAST Burwat replica cue got pinched from the club I left it at.

since then I have owned

5 or six Parris cues
      2 MW
      4 NW
      2 O'min
      2 Master Cues
      3 Craftsman cues
      Four or five from other makers too and several antiques like Tom Newman, Joe Davis, B & W etc

I like the idea feeling you get playing with different cues and seem to like them for a month or two sometimes longer but then have a really bad day and blame the cue and move on to another cant understand why I do this but I just can't settle on one particular cue.

:snooker:

Comment

Hi , can i ask how you guys rated the craftsman cues are they nice playing cues

Comment

If you get a Craftsman that is made by Dave they are great cues if its one of the ones they get in from overseas that they finish off they dont seem to be quite as good.

Comment

Originally Posted by Burwat Champ View Post
            If you get a Craftsman that is made by Dave they are great cues if its one of the ones they get in from overseas that they finish off they dont seem to be quite as good.
            I agree..

One to consider if you want a reasonable cue at a reasonable price.

Comment

May I ask how you guys rate TW, MW and JP??

Are their price = quality ??
              Who makes better cue ?

Comment

The only difference for me between the 3 cue makers you mention is the consistency of quality they turn out.

In all honesty I have never seen a poor or even medium quality cue from Mike or Trevor but have seen quite a few bad examples of Parris cues.

From the cues I have owned personally My Wooldridge was perfectly built as were the 3 Trevor White cues I really could not fault anything about them And I am really fussy.

The Parris Professional I had was easily as good as the TW & MW it was faultless but the Parris Special I had was disappointing the splices were not even, the shaft was quite thick ( I had asked for a slim taper) and there was brown marks in the maple but the worst thing about it was the weighting was not right, whenever it was rolled on the table it would always stop badge up suggesting to me that the weight was off centre.

To sum it up if you get a good Parris and it seems more and more lately its a big if you wont find anything better (you will find as good, but not better) were as you will always get a good MW or TW .

Just to add I also think that Robin Cook and Dave Coutts are just as good as Trevor and Mike.

Regarding Price they are all expensive but you get what you pay for, Parris is a bit of a gamble were as Trevor & Mike will only send a cue out if it meets there very high standards.
                Last edited by Burwat Champ; 16 January 2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

The only difference for me between the 3 cue makers you mention is the consistency of quality they turn out.

In all honesty I have never seen a poor or even medium quality cue from Mike or Trevor but have seen quite a few bad examples of Parris cues.

To sum it up if you get a good Parris and it seems more and more lately its a big if you wont find anything better (you will find as good, but not better) were as you will always get a good MW or TW .

Just to add I also think that Robin Cook and Dave Coutts are just as good as Trevor and Mike.

Regarding Price they are all expensive but you get what you pay for, Parris is a bit of a gamble were as Trevor & Mike will only send a cue out if it meets there very high standards.
                  I agree to this 100%.
                  And to make things even more comples I'd add Tony Glover to the list of the top UK cue maker.
                  I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

The Parris Professional I had was easily as good as the TW & MW it was faultless but the Parris Special I had was disappointing the splices were not even, the shaft was quite thick ( I had asked for a slim taper) and there was brown marks in the maple but the worst thing about it was the weighting was not right, whenever it was rolled on the table it would always stop badge up suggesting to me that the weight was off centre.
                    Have you tried playing with it? Because thats what happens with the gravity cue. Though I've never tried one.
                    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I did try playing with it and just could not get on with it, although I have to admit it wasnt due to the weight it was the thickness of the shaft and the fact that to me the cue felt very unresponsive.

Comment

Used to use a peradon, then got a MW cue and im just about to order a TW
                        My Flickr

Comment

Thanks Burwat Champ for your reply..
                          Am saving for a good cue, want to get a better knowledge/info about their cues.

Comment

I'm in need of new cue, just waiting for bit of money my way then kerching I'll be searching for one.
                            Dark side of the moon

Comment

Uk got alot good cue maker bro.. Save up for a good one

Comment

Working...
                              X