X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, that is exactly what I'm doing.
    Dark side of the moon

Comment

Thanks for replying to my question regarding craftsman if anone has owned one and an omin then how would you compare the two , and one last question if anyone has switched from a 10 mm to 9.5 mm is there much of a difference , only used 10 mil so not sure if i go for 9.5 if i,ll be able to get used to it .

Comment

They said on commentary the other day that Mark williams switched from 9mm on his old cue to 10mm with his current one... All hail the 10mm tip
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
          They said on commentary the other day that Mark williams switched from 9mm on his old cue to 10mm with his current one... All hail the 10mm tip
          I would have thought was a very big change for a pro to get used to ??

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
            He is playing very good with it too considering the quick change to 10mm.
            Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by Burwat Champ View Post
              To sum it up if you get a good Parris and it seems more and more lately its a big if you wont find anything better (you will find as good, but not better) were as you will always get a good MW or TW .

Just to add I also think that Robin Cook and Dave Coutts are just as good as Trevor and Mike.

Regarding Price they are all expensive but you get what you pay for, Parris is a bit of a gamble were as Trevor & Mike will only send a cue out if it meets there very high standards.
              I think you need a cue made by H&O too. It is amazing that very few people giving rate/discuss about cue made by them. Also, I think in the Masters 2010 ROS still using H&O Green Plate cue he bought+used in the UK Champ 2009. Just guessing from the look of its splices...

ROS always sweeping his cue though...
              My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
                I think you need a cue made by H&O too. It is amazing that very few people giving rate/discuss about cue made by them. Also, I think in the Masters 2010 ROS still using H&O Green Plate cue he bought+used in the UK Champ 2009. Just guessing from the look of its splices...

ROS always sweeping his cue though...
                I did own a 1 piece original Hunt & Obyrne black plate and a 3/4 Green Plate cue although I couldnt get on with either of them , neither of them had any flex in them it was like playing with a piece of Iron.

Although very well made cues and I know a lot of people really like them this experience put me off getting another 1.
                Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Burwat Champ View Post
                  I did own a 1 piece original Hunt & Obyrne black plate and a 3/4 Green Plate cue although I couldnt get on with either of them , neither of them had any flex in them it was like playing with a piece of Iron.

Although very well made cues and I know a lot of people really like them this experience put me off getting another 1.
                  I think generally no two cues play alike. I have used both a Hunt & O B black label that played like the best cues I ever held and have used ones as Burwat Champ describes the same goes for John Parris.

I too like a cue that has a little response to it rather than ones that are too stiff. Generally Hunt & OB and Parris are more stiffer to play with than other makes I have found. If I was buying one of these makes over the phone I would go for the higher end Ultimate or Black label because you can specify your requirements. Buying blind is a risk with a cue and if you live in or near London I don't think you could beat going and trying them out. You may save money buy getting a green plate from H & OB or a traditional/classic that feels more how you want it to.

I like cues with more of a forward balance point Stamford cues do a longer spiced 1 pc that felt very nice and I personally like cues made of old English ash. So I like the odd antique too. Someone asked about O'min and I have to say that if I was buying one from the far east then one of the old ones of these cues are the best of the bunch from overseas price/finish wise they are good and they are alright as a start point on the cue ladder.

If I wanted a replica cue of a Mannock etc., then I would go to Glover cues or Trevor White I have seen examples of both that appeared to be very very nice and there was one cue from D Cotts that does not appear on his website anymore (ye old ash) or something like that...looked very very good too.

There are other makers to consider and many can make a great cue...as for me I am currently using a Tom Newman 1 pc cue though I am sure this will change next month....happy hunting:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                    Buying blind is a risk with a cue and if you live in or near London I don't think you could beat going and trying them out. You may save money buy getting a green plate from H & OB or a traditional/classic that feels more how you want it to.
                    To avoid that risk I dropped in the H&O workshop during my last trip to London. And there was one single cue to try and all the other racks were empty. (It was a green plate with four tulipwood splices so maybe the one Ronnie uses today...).
                    Robert told me that this is the normal situation because all cues they produce are going to Asia immediately and they do not have the time to make cues to try them out.
                    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Working...
                    X