Cue help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue help

Okay, im looking to purchase a new cue in a few weeks to a month at the most and im looking for some help in what i should go for. I was playing earlier and its only a £35 cue i have at the moment i bought from rileys its a buffalo, And it was sticking and draging to my hand on every shot tonite i got pretty pi**ed off missin almost every shot. Ive tried cleaning the cue and do have a towel.

Im not to sure about a few things, exact size etc so what im really looking for is a 3/4 split cue, lightweight and im not sure what size tip. As im no pro with low breaks none higher than 30 im not sure what im looking for just some help. How much im looking to spend etc. I just put an elk master on the cue i have first time ive replaced the tip and it did give me more ball control bu then it looked like it was going flat lol im guessing its still got to compact itself. Im roughly 5ft 8 ot 5ft 9 if that helps with cue size

Would i be better with a handmade cue or can anyone recommend one i should purchase, I have been playing alot more and taking the game more seriously so do hope to improve and im looking at paying for a few hours of coaching to sort what im doing rong out.

3/4 cue will be just fine. 9.5mm tip with cue length between 57.5"-58.5" for your height. The weight is depends on your comfy but try 18oz (standard).

For a first timer handmade cue, I recommend you mastercraft cues. Their price range is from between GBP125-GBP175 (depends on how fancy your cue design) but they won't go higher than GBP200 in most cases.

Cheers.
    My cueing sucks

Comment

Excelent m8 thanks alot will be on to them tomorow. Not sure how standard feels weight wise i have a few cheap cues i thot they mite have been standard but im gona try and get what i have at the moment weighd so i know exactly what weight i want. Thanks Againe

Comment

I assume you will need a case if you are switching from a cheap cue (which I assume was centre split).
        Try Craftsman cues http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ard_range.html
        Mastercraft http://www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk/10....php?p=3&pno=0
        Greenbaize do very nice thai made range if you want something slightly more expensive http://www.greenbaize.com/gbl.htm
        Theres plenty of threads on cheaper cues if you search the forum.

In the mean time what do you mean by tried cleaning the cue? You could either try sanding the varnish off the cue yourself, or take two towels to the club with you, damp one slightly when you get there. Wipe the cue with the damp one and then buff dry with the dry towel shoulod stop it from being too hard to play with. You can do this when you get a proper cue too but I'm sure it will be a much less regular thing!

A new elk will compress as you play it in, just shape it again after youve played for a few hours with it.
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

tried the damp cloth dry cloth routine and to be honest im not gona bother with the sand paper as i do want a decent cue with no laquer. Ill have a look on those sites. I have 3 cues ( Cheap ) and have had the same problem with 3 so time to get a decent one.

Comment

Originally Posted by Disco_Dave88 View Post
            Excelent m8 thanks alot will be on to them tomorow. Not sure how standard feels weight wise i have a few cheap cues i thot they mite have been standard but im gona try and get what i have at the moment weighd so i know exactly what weight i want. Thanks Againe
            Your are welcome. Also try ask Unclevit (TSF member). He is the middleman for UT cue (cheaper+better than Omin). Price range around USD180 and above.

Edit: P/S - If I'm not mistaken, UT made a cue for Ken Doherty sometime around 10years ago (based on what Unclevit said to me before).
            Last edited by brendan147; 18 January 2010, 05:28 AM.
            My cueing sucks

Comment

tried the damp cloth dry cloth routine and to be honest im not gona bother with the sand paper as i do want a decent cue with no laquer. Ill have a look on those sites. I have 3 cues ( Cheap ) and have had the same problem with 3 so time to get a decent one.
              You will notice a massive difference going from a cheap, laquered Riley cue to a handmade oiled cue.

My Mastercraft never seems to get sticky.

Comment

Had a good lookin on mastercraft cue and i quite like the Eclipse

GENUINE HAND SPLICED EBONY CUE WITH SELECTED STRAIGHT GRAINED ASH OR MAPLE SHAFT. WITH SINGLE OLIVEWOOD FRONT SPLICE OVER A THIN MAPLE VENEER AND EBONY INLAY.COMPLETE WITH BASE JOINT + MINI BUTT.

So ill probably fill the order form in this week sometime instead of waiting a few weeks

Cheers guys :snooker:

Comment

Mastercraft retribution cue and case is available from maximum break store with case for 154 if you haven't got you heart set on the Eclipse

https://www.maximumbreak-snooker-sto...e-Package.html
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Had a good lookin on mastercraft cue and i quite like the Eclipse

GENUINE HAND SPLICED EBONY CUE WITH SELECTED STRAIGHT GRAINED ASH OR MAPLE SHAFT. WITH SINGLE OLIVEWOOD FRONT SPLICE OVER A THIN MAPLE VENEER AND EBONY INLAY.COMPLETE WITH BASE JOINT + MINI BUTT.

So ill probably fill the order form in this week sometime instead of waiting a few weeks

Cheers guys :snooker:
                    I bought an eclipse last year. Nice cue. The Olivewood splice is slightly darker than shown on the website but still looks nice. One problem is that being light coloured wood it tends to get a bit grubby from the sweat on your hand. Some may say it "adds to the character"!

Comment

Yeh i think ill go for the Eclipse just waiting on a reply from the maker of the cues with answers to a few questions i asked

Comment

Can any1 who has ordered a cue from master craft cues help, looking to order the eclipse but im slightly confused as on how to do it because on the custom order form there's no option for a specific cue just the way you would want one built from scratch. I already know the tip size, cue size and weight not sure about the diameter of the mini but tho that's about it.

Comment

Can any1 who has ordered a cue from master craft cues help, looking to order the eclipse but im slightly confused as on how to do it because on the custom order form there's no option for a specific cue just the way you would want one built from scratch. I already know the tip size, cue size and weight not sure about the diameter of the mini but tho that's about it.
                          You email them directly instead of using custom order form. Not sure how you pay though :S sounds risky giving credit card numbers unencrypted through email. Think they're a bit busy atm though because i'm waiting for Neil (from maximumbreak) to get some shaft photos and it's taking a while so you may have to wait a bit :P

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...php?albumid=19

nice looking cue was thinking of getting it myself but decided on the black prince

Comment

No problem thanks, already gave him an email then contacted him through the website contact form didint know he was busy lol ill wait anyway

Suppose we could just pay through paypal all we will need is his paypal/email address

Comment

No problem thanks, already gave him an email then contacted him through the website contact form didint know he was busy lol ill wait anyway

Suppose we could just pay through paypal all we will need is his paypal/email address
                              ah yea forgot about that, it's in the T&C or somewhere that sorts the payment problem out then :P

Comment

Working...
                              X