Quality of ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of ash

I have a piece of ash that I would like to make a cue out of. It is a nice piece of wood with very straight grain. The only problem is that the grain isn't particularly tight. It's fine on 1 half of the length but at one end the spacing is up to about 5mm between each grain patern.

Does anyone with any experience know how this would affect the playabilty of the cue? Is it best to keep looking for a better piece of timber?

Originally Posted by adam_s_101 View Post
    I have a piece of ash that I would like to make a cue out of. It is a nice piece of wood with very straight grain. The only problem is that the grain isn't particularly tight. It's fine on 1 half of the length but at one end the spacing is up to about 5mm between each grain patern.

Does anyone with any experience know how this would affect the playabilty of the cue? Is it best to keep looking for a better piece of timber?
    grain means very little

Comment

Originally Posted by adam_s_101 View Post

From my production experience, tight lines on one side and wide lines on the other may have (little) effect on shaft's 'spring' action. But you need to be a very capable player to notice this effect. Others may think differently
      It's in the Shaft

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a go and see how it plays

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
          From my production experience, tight lines on one side and wide lines on the other may have (little) effect on shaft's 'spring' action. But you need to be a very capable player to notice this effect. Others may think differently
          What do you mean, could you please elaborate?
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I think he means it doesn't make much difference if the grain is tight or wide

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
              What do you mean, could you please elaborate?
              To me, tight lines or wide lines do not have that much effect on shaft playing quality. Condition of the wood is more important.
              It's in the Shaft

Comment

Working...
              X