Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the weight of a cue have an impact on cue power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I believe you need to find a balance between how much weight you want to feel in your hand, and how fast you can move your cue with such a weight at optimum speed.
    For example, if your maximum speed in moving a 19 oz is 30mph, while with a 18, you can move it at 33 mph, you should be able to generate more power with the 18 oz even though the 19 oz is heavier.
    On the other hand, with a 16 oz, your maximum speed might still be around 33mph--in which case, 18oz is more powerful for you than a 16oz provided everything else is the same with all these cues.
    Your maximum speed does not increase indefinitely as the weight goes down, the increment sort of diminishes after a certain point.
    For most people, anything under 17oz would feel uncomfortable to control, while anything over 19.5 might be too heavy for the player to generate maximum cue speed.
    It is worth mentioning that sheer speed should not be the only consideration in selecting cue weight. Usually, some players like a bit more weight for control, while some enjoy a lighter cue for better "touch" and such. It is personal.
    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 19 January 2010, 02:08 AM.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I'm going to venture to say that it might be to do with your grip.
      If you have a loose grip, a heavy cue will generate more cue power, as you are letting the cue do the work, and a heavier cue has more momentum than a lighter one.
      And if you have a tighter grip, a lighter cue will generate more cue power. because you'll find it easier to accelerate the cue through the cue-ball.
      (I'm talking about cue power as in ammount of spin applied, not how hard you can hit the cue ball)
      Only my theory, but it makes sense when you think about it.

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
        I tried the 16.5oz cue I bought off JRC today and couldn't get on with it at all. Just seems too light.......
        Hi RG - thats the problem i had, tried to get on with it for several hours but just struggled. I now mostly play with my JP classic which is 19.2 oz, or my WPT Welsh Dragon cue which is 18.7 oz - both of which just feel "right" to me - so are you going to keep on trying ? or stick it up for sale

Comment

E = (m * v2) / 2

Energy equals mass divided by two multiplied by velocity square.

According to this a lighter cue will always give more cue power. However, you are moving both your arm and cue together. So combined weight will be roughly the same even if two cues weight might differ.

A person with a heavy arm might not be able to move a lighter cue faster at all.

That's why I think it all comes down to cue action for most people.
          Last edited by ace man; 19 January 2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Surly its not just about the weight,the tip size must make a differance ?

Comment

Don't forget guys- 9 ball players throw the whole body into the break off shot. That technique could not be used on a snooker table and consequently most snooker pros are within the 17-19 oz range.

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
                Surly its not just about the weight,the tip size must make a differance ?
                Your avater is very cool.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                  Your avater is very cool.
                  Thank you very much

Comment

I don't think there's a lot of difference in power between a heavy and a light cue. If you break with a heavy cue, the action maybe slowed down a touch, but the white will be accelerating faster so it evens itself out. As for general play you may find a naturally heavier (denser wood)cue will feel more solid on the shot than one which has a big lump of lead shoved in the butt , a la typical Chinese cue.
                    If I could get a 1 piece naturally weighted at 17.5 oz I'd deffo get one made. But I think the heaviest you can make a naturally weighted 1 piece is around 16.5 - 17 oz (Trev White said this)

Comment

i personally do not think weight plays that big a part in cue power.
                      its more about technique.
                      regardless of cue weight and effort put into a shot a short follow through will result in poor results in screw or any type of spin for that matter whereas a full follow through will result in much better results at lower effort and accuracy is at an optimum.
                      Mart

Comment

Back in the forties and fifties, most cues were 16.5oz. You did not have a lot of choice then. - In those days, Clark Mconachie the Canadian (not sure of spelling, was long time ago), used to use a 22oz cue and was about the only Pro that used a heavy cue.
                        :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                        X