Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Wax to cue

Hi,

I've got cue whose ebony part has gone a bit dull so I decided to put some beeswax on the lower part of the cue as it is supposed to make it shinier but the wax hardly made a diference... ? was it the way I applied it or could it be some other reason ? I put a little a bit on the butt and spread it till the end of the ebony splicing. I rubbed it in a bit but not ferciously , just a little bit. Ive tried it twice but it hardly makes a diference...

What should I do ? should I apply more wax as i used a just a small amount lest i should make it stickky...

Any advice would be appreciated

Samad

maybe. needa find a way to buff it sumhow? not sure. -_-

Comment

You might want to try and use Raw Linseed Oil on it.
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Try polish it

Comment

Can I ask what cue it is ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Dan27 View Post
            Can I ask what cue it is ?
            It is a Mastercue Tournament

Originally Posted by Freddie Ng View Post
            Try polish it
            My intention is to polish it; using cue wax.

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            You might want to try and use Raw Linseed Oil on it.
            I do use Raw linseed oil on the shaft, but linseed on the butt didnt make the cue look any shinier

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
            maybe. needa find a way to buff it sumhow? not sure. -_-
            It is buffed regularly with a towel to get rid of dirt,sweat and grease. if thats what you mean....

Comment

you would need lots of coats of wax to build up a depth of shine-at least 10 coats.but wax could become sticky. i would recommend cue oil, which will give the same "shine" and not get sticky. as with wax this needs to be applied and then buffed off.[no jokes please] vigerously

Comment

my suggestion would be to use MIke Wooldridge "liquid gold" cue oil. It keeps my cue butt shiny thought:snooker:
                "Life Its the best teacher. And when something fcuk's up there is no undo button" ... D.S!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by vladimir007 View Post
                  my suggestion would be to use MIke Wooldridge "liquid gold" cue oil. It keeps my cue butt shiny thought:snooker:
                  LOL i pictyured u spreadin it on ur butt in the mirror lmao yeh cueoil sounds like a fantabulous idea =3

Comment

Would a combination of raw Linseed oil and beeswax give a better sheen ??

I dont want put 10 coats of wax on it tho !!

Comment

its eithe hard work or get a can of spray paint mask off what doesnt want to be shiny and paint the bugger...

otherwise its hard elbow grease along with a good quality wax and a soft towel...

Comment

Another fine solution is to use 'French Polish' which is a mixture of varnish and oil and is the stuff used to apply a mirror-like gloss to a grand piano.

You should be able to get it at any music store which sells pianos. It takes quite a few coats and some polishing but it's worth it

Terry
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                          its eithe hard work or get a can of spray paint mask off what doesnt want to be shiny and paint the bugger...

otherwise its hard elbow grease along with a good quality wax and a soft towel...
                          So, you have to keep putting coats of wax on or is it just one coat with a lot of rubbing.... ?

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          Another fine solution is to use 'French Polish' which is a mixture of varnish and oil and is the stuff used to apply a mirror-like gloss to a grand piano.

You should be able to get it at any music store which sells pianos. It takes quite a few coats and some polishing but it's worth it

Terry

I read somewhere that varnishing a cue is a very bad idea...

Comment

French Polish is not really a varnish, it's more of a wax. I've used it on an unfinished butt (ebony) and it fills in all the little imperfections and gives you a nice mirror-like finish.

I think I stated it wrong and it's a mixture of wax and varnish, but more on the wax side.

See if you can find a piano shop that has a polished grand piano for sale and feel the top of it and see if that's what you want your cue butt to feel like.

It takes a few coats to get that glass-like finish, but it will dry in an hour and be ready for the next coat. Follow the instructions as you have to polish each coat with a dry, soft cloth and then apply another one. I used about 6 coats on the cue I did and according to the guy who bought it the cue still has that smooth finish on it.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for that Terry..

in the meantime i should think of my beeswax as useless... ??

Comment

Working...
                              X