players with large butt diameter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• players with large butt diameter?

I am in the process of ordering a custom cue. I'm not 100% sure about the butt diameter yet.

From testing with my old snooker cue and an old pool cue, and measuring them with calipers, I came to about 31.5 mm. (The pool cue's butt diameter is 32 mm.) It's only an estimate.

I know I have rather large hands, but that sounds like a lot. I found a poll about butt diameter on this forum and no one appeared to be using one that large. This site wasn't even in the list of options, only one person chose "other".

Anyone else, or pros, using this type of butt diameter?

error

This size wasn't even in the list of options

(I can't edit my posts for some reason.)

Comment

you need 10 posts to edit

Comment

See Mikes advice here http://www.handmadecues.com/home/26-whatsizes.htm

Take your old cue down the club and the callipers, try a number of club cues and if you find one you like the size of in your hand measure it and go for that one.
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

thanks

thanks guys, unfortunately the club is in the process of moving to another location so I cannot go and check different cues. I am limited to the two I have here. I have decided to go with 31.5 which should be OK. I will report back. I really do have hands the size of spades compared to most people's.
          Last edited by Roenie; 29 January 2010, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Lol, well if it feels Ok in your hand with what you currently have then its fine. Just because not many people use that size doesn't mean you shouldn't.
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
              you need 10 posts to edit
              That will surely help me get there.

Comment

players with large butt diameter?

I though this was a thread about Big Bill Werbeniuk when I read the title, anyone remember the World Championship Match against David Taylor at the Crucible. Werbeniuk attempted to stretch across the table, but due to his size was having some difficulty. Eventually, the inevitable happened and he split his trousers. The ripping noise it made caused many in the audience, including his opponent, to laugh out loud. Bill took it in good humour, asking the audience "who did that?"

Russ

Comment

Cue Butt Diameter

Originally Posted by Roenie View Post
                  I am in the process of ordering a custom cue. I'm not 100% sure about the butt diameter yet.

From testing with my old snooker cue and an old pool cue, and measuring them with calipers, I came to about 31.5 mm. (The pool cue's butt diameter is 32 mm.) It's only an estimate.

I know I have rather large hands, but that sounds like a lot. I found a poll about butt diameter on this forum and no one appeared to be using one that large. This site wasn't even in the list of options, only one person chose "other".

Anyone else, or pros, using this type of butt diameter?
                  Hi Roenie and welcome to the forum. The size of butt diameter is a purely personal thing. Yes as a guide 28 - 30 mm. A lot of big heavy 9 ball type cues that you'll find over in mainland Europe will be larger and usually rounded (no flat or front splice). I've just despatched a Custom cue (photo below - it's the cue un-badged on the right) for a customer (see my post Cue Craft Customised Cues for full spec.) The customer specified 28.75mm. This felt fine to me, but I play English Pool with a Powerglide Mannock. The Mannock butt is similar to the cue I sent, so it didn't feel strange to me, although I didn't use the cue of course, just examined it.

I would suggest 32mm as a maximum, if that's what you're used to. I do know a lot of chaps with large hands who play snooker to a high standard, but just use a standard butt sized cue. i.e. off the shelf cue, rather than specifying a butt diameter size. Hope this helps...

p.s. How the snooker scene over there these days? I have played a Club Rokin in Amsterdam many times previously, but not for a couple of years.. Nice club, lovely match table, if a little bit expensive at 12 eu per hour, if I remember correctly from the last time I was there.

Snookerpoolman
                  Last edited by snookerpoolman; 24 February 2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

The legendary Bill Werbeniuk had a large butt diameter.

Comment

The guy that runs my local club once showed me an old billiard cue with an enormous butt diameter.. it wasn't that heavy so I'm guessing that the butt wood was no more dense that the shaft wood ... he did say that a lot of old billiard cues are made this way, something to do with the way that they used to hold the cue. So you could always try the antique cue route...

Comment

Stephen Lee
                        Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element

Comment

Working...
                        X