Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a 9mm tip too small for a fairly novice player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 9mm tip too small for a fairly novice player?

All,

I have a Parris Ambassador (9mm) which I have started playing with and seem to be playing ok. I am a fairly novice player (breaks of 30-40). Is this tip really to o small for me and should I get a cue with a larger tip to improve my game quicker until my cueing is of a better standard (Years to come).

Your thoughts please!!

Its really an individual choice , some people prefer a 9mm tip while others will go for 9.5-10mm it all depends what suits you better and what youre used to i suppose .I think You ,ve got to be more accurate with a smaller tip especially if you,re not cueing well or straight as any unintentional side will be amplified .

If youre used to a 9 mil tip and considering goint to a 9.5 or 10 mill then i think you need to give yourself a fair amount of practice before deciding if it suits you or not , I doubt if you,ll adjust straight away . I think 9.5 is most popular nowdays

Comment

You could try sticking a 10mm tip on and having a mushroom tip and see how you get on with that before making a decision?
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I have the same cue and have the same doubts lol.
        I seem to knock in 30s n 40s all the time, but my biggest break is only 77.
        I have a spare cue that is 9.5mm and I am gonna experiment before I buy a new cue, gonna consider few dif brands but im near to John Parris so i'll prob go and get an Ultimate from him
        Highest Match Break - 77
        Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
        Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post
          I have a spare cue that is 9.5mm and I am gonna experiment before I buy a new cue, gonna consider few dif brands but im near to John Parris so i'll prob go and get an Ultimate from him
          only 77?

Comment

Only 77? I have been playing for nealy 4 years now and my best is still 29 (I think)
            If you are playing well with a 9mm tip continue using it for now, especially if that is the only size tip you have used, if you keep improving don't change it, if you plateau so to speak then maybe consider it - just don't go smaller unless you have someone make the ferrule smaller, but less than 9mm is not genrally advisable for snooker anyway. If you go bigger you can get the cue altered so it has a 9.5 or 10mm ferrule but that will shorten the cue slightly.

In summary - if it works don't change it

Chris

Comment

If anything I would keep the same cue and try a slightly bigger tip as a mushroom tip. If it works then consider getting a new cue, if it doesn't I would stick with the current one unless you really want a change.
              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                If anything I would keep the same cue and try a slightly bigger tip as a mushroom tip. If it works then consider getting a new cue, if it doesn't I would stick with the current one unless you really want a change.
                I have stuck bigger tips on and tried it, and altho my ball striking did improve a little, i didnt feel confident in playing like it, felt i was losing a bit of cue power and looking down the shaft it was a little offputting.
                I have always used Elks tho, and I am going to put a Wooldridge supertip on tonight and try that, maybe the Talismans too.
                Will look at sorting my tips before my cue, as I have read a lot on this forum about tips, including ADRs tip guide - great stuff!, and i have never given this area enough attention before
                Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

I have stuck bigger tips on and tried it, and altho my ball striking did improve a little, i didnt feel confident in playing like it, felt i was losing a bit of cue power and looking down the shaft it was a little offputting.
                  I have always used Elks tho, and I am going to put a Wooldridge supertip on tonight and try that, maybe the Talismans too.
                  Will look at sorting my tips before my cue, as I have read a lot on this forum about tips, including ADRs tip guide - great stuff!, and i have never given this area enough attention before
                  Talismans....Yuk!! Like hitting a breeze block!!! I had a Mastercue with a Talisman on and i found it shocking to play with, like a pub cue!!

Comment

Wish I lived near John Parris, I would be there all the time. See if he will give us a discount if we both buy a cue there!! (doubt it)!!

Comment

Originally Posted by mike.crowe View Post
                      Wish I lived near John Parris, I would be there all the time. See if he will give us a discount if we both buy a cue there!! (doubt it)!!
                      HAHA!! John Parris give discount?! Can tell you have never been there lol.
                      Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

your right!! Does he have his standard cues ready to go or are they still made to order??

Comment

he has a lot of his "standard" cues ready made and in the racks.
                          when i bought my ambassador, i picked up about 6 of them. picked up the heaviest and longest 2 and then made my mind up.
                          gives ya a good chance to check the feel, balance and straightness of the cue before u buy it!
                          Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

Thanks, I might take a trip down there!!

Comment

9mm is OK, nevermind if u are novice or not, because if you just started playing it is ok to get used to one kind of tip, and you must be quite precise for 9mm. I played with that tip diameter, soon I used to it, but i prefer 10mm because i dont waste to much time on positioning cue on cue ball, with 10mm it is automatic. It is the matter of subjective preference. Try other sizes and decide what fits best for you. Good luck!:snooker:
                              Noli turbare circulos meos.

Comment

Working...
                              X