Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veneers

hi folks,
    anyone know where i can purchase coloured veneers for under splices.

Buy a different coulur dye instead. Cheaper

I recon that a basic dye goes very well (clothes etc.) from the local superstore etc.

Comment

thanks for that.

Comment

Try craft supplies. they do lots of nice colours. Nice helpful bunch. Might be worth calling them as they do not seem to have all the colours i last saw. They only do 0.6mm by the way.

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

If you want thick veneers you may want to try cutting them yourself as they can be very expensive and not many places have them at 1.2mm.
        sigpic <---New Website
        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

thanks totlxtc, will look at their site, is 1.2mm the norm.

Comment

Originally Posted by flame View Post
            thanks totlxtc, will look at their site, is 1.2mm the norm.
            No, 0.6 is regarded as the standard. If spliced right it will produce a top point thickness of about 10mm.
            sigpic <---New Website

Comment

thanks again Dan,
              sorry for sounding a thicko, i have just started trying to make myself a cue, so i need all the help i can get on certain things.have got the splicing right, after many trials, on the cue i am making i am up to the splicing stage, just wanted to put veneers under,not got machinery for jointing, so am only doing one piece cues,not easy on kitchen worktop & work bench,weather permitting.

Comment

Originally Posted by flame View Post
                thanks again Dan,
                sorry for sounding a thicko, i have just started trying to make myself a cue, so i need all the help i can get on certain things.have got the splicing right, after many trials, on the cue i am making i am up to the splicing stage, just wanted to put veneers under,not got machinery for jointing, so am only doing one piece cues,not easy on kitchen worktop & work bench,weather permitting.
                No, No, you don't not at all......maybe you need to see this thread..had to trawl the archives.

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=14967

God! To think what i did back then...YUK! But would not of got as far as i am now without it.
                sigpic <---New Website

Comment

great thread, the early part is what i am going through,it is good to speak to someone in the know,i am a 57 year old carpenter & joiner, so handling & sharpening tools is no prob, just the know how & ins & outs of cue making.any further quieries can i pm you.
                  cheers Bill.

Comment

You can ask me all you want, but few things i will not say about as they took me a long time to get to know, or someone told me and said not to pass it on. So i will honour that.
                    sigpic <---New Website

Comment

I remember looking through that thread a while back.

It's great to see where you were back then to now.

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                        You can ask me all you want, but few things i will not say about as they took me a long time to get to know, or someone told me and said not to pass it on. So i will honour that.
                        Do you still hand plane your cues or do you use a lathe? What do you think are the pros and cons against hand planing and using a lathe? apart from the fact that a lathe would be alot quicker. I've always wanted to make cues too, but for some reason i always thought a lathe was required and the idea of hand planing a perfectly round cue is a bit daunting.

Comment

Working...
                        X