Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1pc cue or 3/4 jointed??

Hi Guys,

I know this debate is probably more about personal preference, but what do you think is the best way to have your cue made?
    Once piece or 3/4 Jointed?
    Im thinking in terms of feel, durability and what is more likely to stay straight over extended periods of time.
    I know that one piece cues are a bit more awkward to transport about but i'm thinking that if it is a better cue to play with, i'll suffer a little inconvenience here and there.

Any opinions and advice is greatly appreciated
    Highest Match Break - 77
    Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
    Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

I must admin that my 1PC cue in a club have better in game feeling then my Riley 1/2 snooker cue. That is quite frustrating, but, point is, and everybody will agree, i think, and that is, 1PC cues are the best balanced and with best feeling, only problem is transport, surely.
    It would be nice that most cuemakers start making wood to wood joint, like Mike Wooldridge quick air lock, because of consistent feeling. I hate that metal sound when playing. Also is important how joint is made. 3/4 cues are far better then 1/2 that is for sure, when we talk about feeling.
    Noli turbare circulos meos.

Comment

Having played with both over a few years, I'd have to say the 1pc cue is way better in terms of feel. But you're right, it's all about personal preferences. I wouldn't know about durability or staying straight over time, I don't really think it has to do with being 1pc vs 3/4 but rather the type of wood & how you handle/store the cue... etc.

And if you drive your own car, it's not really awkward or inconvenient to move around with a 1pc cue case
      Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010
      Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

I always keep my cue stored in case in my cupboard, away from radiators and therefore no dramatic heat changes.
        I use a peradon leather case (lairy as u like!) which has a very hard body and great internal sections for my current cue.
        If I get one piece, I would buy a one piece case from them also, their cases are the nuts!
        Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

I think it depends. like i heard its pretty hard to make a cue thats 1 piece thats really heavy. thats why a lot of old cues were around 15-17 ounces only.
          and unless youre really talented, its hard to tell th difference. comes down to wood quality IMO. but if you like 21 ounce cue, then might be hard to make a 1 piece.

Comment

i was wrong the other day, my cue isnt 21oz. i checked with a mate and we weighed it, its just over 19oz
            Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post
              Hi Guys,

I know this debate is probably more about personal preference, but what do you think is the best way to have your cue made?
              Once piece or 3/4 Jointed?
              Im thinking in terms of feel, durability and what is more likely to stay straight over extended periods of time.
              I know that one piece cues are a bit more awkward to transport about but i'm thinking that if it is a better cue to play with, i'll suffer a little inconvenience here and there.

Any opinions and advice is greatly appreciated
              hi whufcarl.
              imo 1 piece cue wins all the way mate. after i had a join issue with my previous cue ive decided to stick with 1 pc cue indefinitely. No join - no hustle.

as for the matter of feel , durability ,cue staying straight ... only one thing matters... How particular cue was made. Well made 3/4 cue may feel no different then well made 1 piece cue and vica versa .

its all down to personal preference really.
              Last edited by vladimir007; 6 February 2010, 07:52 PM.
              "Life Its the best teacher. And when something fcuk's up there is no undo button" ... D.S!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by vladimir007 View Post
                hi whufcarl.
                imo 1 piece all the the way mate. after i had a join issue with my previous cue ive decided to stick with 1 pc cue indefinitely. No join - no hustle.

as for the matter of feel , durability ,cue staying straight ... only one thing matters... How particular cue was made. Well made 3/4 cue may feel no different then well made 1 piece cue and vica versa .

its all down to personal preference really.
                U have the 1 piece Wooldridge, in all honesty, what is that like?
                Im thinking about maybe getting Mike to make mine for me but I have never had a chance to see one of his cues, only read what other people think.
                I have always gone to John Parris as he is local and I have always gone and looked at the cue before I buy it.
                Of course with a custom made I wont be able to, but I'm thinking should I stick with the cue maker I know n have always liked??
                Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

U have the 1 piece Wooldridge, in all honesty, what is that like?

IMO it is the best cue ive ever owned . i owned 2 john parris cues and this one is my second MW cue.
                  To feel what its like, you more than welcome to come around and try it yourself :snooker:to get an idea what level of quality Mike likely to deliver.
                  "Life Its the best teacher. And when something fcuk's up there is no undo button" ... D.S!!!

Comment

Hi Vlad, What 1 pc cue is it that you have...

How do you think a 1pc shark would be in terms of feel? Similar to yours?

Comment

I imagine it would feel similar to a 3/4 length from mike as both would have solid ebony butts, rather than ebony splices with the shaft running all the way to the butt as with a 1 piece handspliced cue.
                      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
                        Hi Vlad, What 1 pc cue is it that you have...

How do you think a 1pc shark would be in terms of feel? Similar to yours?
                        Hi Dan.

at the moment I use 1 piece MW cue and I think that 1 piece Shark would be similar in terms of feel and playability to be honest. Not that you would be able to tell the difference between both cues with your eyes blind folded because standard of craftsmanship in every single one of his cues is from top drawer, with immense attention to detail !!! hope it helps!

Comment

For me a 1 piece has the better feel and I actualy prefer a centre joint cue to a 3/4 as in my experience there is a little more feel and the cues I have used that are centre joint seem to have a slightly more forward weighting which I prefer.

I have also found with 3/4 cues that for feel I prefer the joint just above the splices rather than the having the joint in the ebony.

Has anybody else found this to be the case or am I just a little weird???
                          Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

for me I prefer 1 pc cues.

I also prefer a more forward balance point at around 18 19.
                            With an ideal weight at 18 oz.

3 quarter split for me is the second option, and this is only because they are easier to carry.

Comment

After reading all this i think i will definately get myself a one piece cue, but i will wanna try one first.
                              I found switching from centre jointed to 3/4 jointed instantly improved my game, but this is when i was young and went from a very poor cue to a half decent one, before i got my Parris.

And Vlad, Id love to have a look at your cue sometime, perhaps we could meet up for a game sometime? your really close to me anyways.
                              Altho, judging by some stuff on here, i bet you would wipe the floor with me! lol. But hey, u learn more from losin than winning lol
                              Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

Working...
                              X