Black grain on a ash cue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black grain on a ash cue.

I would please like some advise on the grain of my cue. I have had my cue tip reduced in size from a 10mm to 9mm. The bottom part of my cue's grain is still very dark, while the shaft part were they have turned it down is very light. I thought with age the grain will darken to match the bottom part but this i has not been the case. Is there a type of stain/wax/sealer that the cuemakers ad to the cue to darken the grain prior to sanding and finishing the cue.

Your advise would be great.
    Start playing snooker 1 May 2010
    Highest Break 32
    Highest Score 113
    Cue: Mastercraft.
    Cue specs 9mm Talisman soft, 18 ounce

Originally Posted by coveg View Post
    I would please like some advise on the grain of my cue. I have had my cue tip reduced in size from a 10mm to 9mm. The bottom part of my cue's grain is still very dark, while the shaft part were they have turned it down is very light. I thought with age the grain will darken to match the bottom part but this i has not been the case. Is there a type of stain/wax/sealer that the cuemakers ad to the cue to darken the grain prior to sanding and finishing the cue.

Your advise would be great.
    not sure what u mean, cause, ive sanded down some cues, and theyve looked the same, even when ive taken a fair bit off, but some cues, ive heard that they stain the ash grain to make it black. on very young ash, theres hardly any black grains in it, so they stain that to make it look like mature ash. this is just what ive heard from trawling the net. -_-

Comment

Yes I agree with you, they must add something to the grain, thanx for reply
      Highest Break 32
      Highest Score 113

Comment

Dan will tell you wat to do ....he is a gent...he sent me some dye for one of my cues...you mix the powder with some wood filler and work into the grain as he says it looks a mess and totally kknackered but when dry some fine grade wirewool it come up as new

Comment

Thats what I am looking for, It makes sence,thanks
          Highest Break 32
          Highest Score 113

Comment

Hi subzeer0 could you please mail met the info of Dan, to technical@coveg.co.za thanx
            Highest Break 32
            Highest Score 113

Comment

Originally Posted by coveg View Post
              Hi subzeer0 could you please mail met the info of Dan, to technical@coveg.co.za thanx
              Now that you have more than 10 posts you should be able to send him a PM. He is totlxtc on the forum.
              I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
                Dan will tell you wat to do ....he is a gent...he sent me some dye for one of my cues...you mix the powder with some wood filler and work into the grain as he says it looks a mess and totally kknackered but when dry some fine grade wirewool it come up as new
                Black powder might be ebony dust

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr O View Post
                  Black powder might be ebony dust
                  Hehe...guess again
                  sigpic <---New Website
                  Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

well I know some of you use it lol

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                      Hehe...guess again
                      The burnt ashes from old bce cues?
                      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

All sorts of things can be used as a grain filler - including ebony dust (tho not on its own!).

Comment

You can use a piece of tar or bitchy and white spirit on a cloth, put some white spirit on cloth rub it on the bitchy or tar then put it on the cue rub it into the grain then clean of with a clean cloth then put a little bit of linsead oil on and rub until the cue gets hot this will seel the grain and put a shine on the shaft .

Comment

its called scumble.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                            X