Shortening a cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening a cue

Hi, was wondering what would be the effect on the balancing point if I took my 57" cue and cut down the tip about 1.5 inches?

I will definitely taper the tip so that the tip size will be the same but I really want to know how it will affect the feel of the cue

if anyone has any experience please let me know, thanks!

Why do you wanna do that?

Comment

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
      Why do you wanna do that?
      umm.......because I feel that my cue is too long for me....

Comment

try a shorter cue, maybe a few, ebfore u do it. make sure that is the reason why before u chop of a chunk of ur cue.

Comment

That is the reason why and I can definitely tell that I would suit a shorter cue.

The reason I ask this question is because I want to know if cutting down a cue would be a good idea or having a whole new custom cue made at the shorter length would be better. If cutting down the cue will have a bad effect then I would obviously go for a custom made cue.

I just want to hear some opinions from people who may be experienced in the field

Comment

if u cut too much off, itll end up being a bit butt heavy, or feel butt heavy as the balance point moves back. its also going to b lighter, meaning, if youre use to a cue being that weight, having a butt heavy cue thats light might feel a bit 'airy' or floaty, where u bridge on the shaft. u might find yourself tightening the grip, or doing things u normally wouldnt do, but wont notice it. id get a cue made tbh. and sell that one if possible. unless its got no resale value, then, maybe itd b worth a try. mate of mine had 2 inches cut off, he couldnt play with it anymore. for sum reason the tip had warped just a little, so when he was gettin his ferule replaced, they said thjey had to cut a touch off. he ended up gettin a new cue. =]

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
              if u cut too much off, itll end up being a bit butt heavy, or feel butt heavy as the balance point moves back. its also going to b lighter, meaning, if youre use to a cue being that weight, having a butt heavy cue thats light might feel a bit 'airy' or floaty, where u bridge on the shaft. u might find yourself tightening the grip, or doing things u normally wouldnt do, but wont notice it. id get a cue made tbh. and sell that one if possible. unless its got no resale value, then, maybe itd b worth a try. mate of mine had 2 inches cut off, he couldnt play with it anymore. for sum reason the tip had warped just a little, so when he was gettin his ferule replaced, they said thjey had to cut a touch off. he ended up gettin a new cue. =]
              thanks for the info!

Comment

Cutting the cue shaft down will shift the balance point back a tad as has already been stated by much more knowledgeable people than me but you did not state if the cue is a one piece or 3/4 split. Whichever it may be that a competent cue doctor could re-balance your cue after shortening, and that may be the way to go before spending out on a new custom cue that you may not get on with as well.
                You never really learn to swear until you miss an easy shot halfway through a break.:snooker:

Comment

The cue that I have is a 3/4

is there any way to trim it down from the end or the 3/4 joint?

Comment

Originally Posted by wayync View Post
                    Hi, was wondering what would be the effect on the balancing point if I took my 57" cue and cut down the tip about 1.5 inches?

I will definitely taper the tip so that the tip size will be the same but I really want to know how it will affect the feel of the cue

if anyone has any experience please let me know, thanks!
                    Shortening the shaft, and tapering the whole shaft, especially the bridging area and then take out some weight on the butt piece, if you still want the total weight/balancing point to be the same
                    It's in the Shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by wayync View Post
                      umm.......because I feel that my cue is too long for me....
                      Or gripping down an inche and a half from the butt end. Try this for lots of frames and you may not want to cut the total length down. UT grips his cue some 2 inches down, and same with our national coach. They both like a feel of little weight behind when gripping.
                      It's in the Shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                        Shortening the shaft, and tapering the whole shaft, especially the bridging area and then take out some weight on the butt piece, if you still want the total weight/balancing point to be the same
                        but then youd need some weight to be added to front AND back of the cue otherwise the weight changes

Comment

Working...
                        X