No announcement yet.

Able to feel the grains on the ash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats most ash cues. u hardly ever get ash cues that r silky smooth like maple. unless they has grains that r wide apart n are very thin. most of the time, u can feel it. especially on the darker bits, or ends of the arrows running up the shaft, assuming it has some (most straight grain ash cues would)

Comment

Hi Bryan.

I can also feel the grain on some of my cues. A bit distracting when feathering.

I use Qsmooth micro-burnishing film to fix the problem. You can buy some from ebay.com. I checked, there's a seller that ships worldwide.

Comment

Sounds to me that the grain is open or raised.
        It can be sorted to provide a smooth feel be it ain't easy to do.
        To do this, you need to try to get cue as smooth as possible with some emery paper.
        Then clean cue with damp cloth and dry.
        Then use a wood stain(must be water based)In ebony or dark wood.
        Apply the wood stain generously over all the ash, making sure it gets into the grain and is a little proud of the grain. By this time you will be thinking what the F*** have i done but don't worry. Leave it to dry thoroughly and when dry gently sand cue down with find grade emery paper until the stain is only left in the grain.
        Once finished apply some oil to cue to seal wood and when dry rub cue down with brown paper or smooth cloth and your done.
        If you need to clean your cue use only a damp cloth and dry.
        Hope this helps. anything else the doctor is here to help.
        "Don't think, feel"

Comment

If you don't like grain go maple!
          Simple

Comment

or go trevor white
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

And certainly do not use emery paper or stain on your cue.
              :snooker:

Comment

A difference of opinion!

Comment

Ah... I'm starting to feel the grain too after using my cue for around 1 year. Would oiling the cue help?
                  John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

OK, I have experienced this also however I just recently received a couple of Trevor White cues and started using one and the first thing I noticed was the ash shaft was as smooth and silky as maple.

I've also noticed this with O'Min cues and weirdly enough with one of those cheaper Dark Horse Chinese manufactured cues.

I have a couple of older ash cues around here where the grain has lifted a little bit and you can just feel it, but I prefer the smooth and silky but not maple.

I wish I really knew what Tervor and O'min used to get that fine finish. The finest emery cloth I could find here was 600 grit and I'm told I need at least 1,000 grit or even 2,000 grit.

doc:

It the staining the way to go? And why a darker stain?

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
                      Sounds to me that the grain is open or raised.
                      It can be sorted to provide a smooth feel be it ain't easy to do.
                      To do this, you need to try to get cue as smooth as possible with some emery paper.
                      Then clean cue with damp cloth and dry.
                      Then use a wood stain(must be water based)In ebony or dark wood.
                      Apply the wood stain generously over all the ash, making sure it gets into the grain and is a little proud of the grain. By this time you will be thinking what the F*** have i done but don't worry. Leave it to dry thoroughly and when dry gently sand cue down with find grade emery paper until the stain is only left in the grain.
                      Once finished apply some oil to cue to seal wood and when dry rub cue down with brown paper or smooth cloth and your done.
                      If you need to clean your cue use only a damp cloth and dry.
                      Hope this helps. anything else the doctor is here to help.
                      How does the stain fill in the grain? I thought that a dark (if you want the grain pronounced) wood filler would need to be used.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X