No announcement yet.

Round Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Trevor White 3/4/ made with a round butt. aBecause it was an Ash shaft with chevrons on the plate/disc side up which I prefer to use, I was constantly looking at the butt before playing the shotnd this distracted my concentration to no end. In short unless you are using a Maple shaft I would not recommend a round butt. I hope you can benefit from this comment
    I have to agree with gary soo here. Unless you are buying a maple cue I wouldn't advise a round butt. I had an aeon cue with a wedge which I always held in the same position. When I had the cue lengthened by Hunt & Osborne I went for a round butt. I found looking down the cue at an unfamiliar shaft disconcerting and found myself looking down at the butt to make sure my hand was in the position to give me the familial look I'd always been used to. Distracting at best, a pain in the butt at worst!
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob Singer View Post
      Thanks RG and Cally for the historical nuances of this great game. If anyone can suggest some good historical reading, it would be much appreciated.:snooker:
      Little bit of info from memory, but the name of the "Cue" comes from the French word "Queue" meaning "Tail". As others have said it's the tail end of the Mallet originally used for indoor Croquet which became Carom and Billiards.

La queue du Mallet, tien ma queue

Comment

I believe the wedge bit of the cue is called a spade, and as has been previously stated it came about because there did not use to be extensions so the cue was turned around so that a player could hold the cue by it's shaft and slide the spade across the baize and hit the cueball with the butt.
        You never really learn to swear until you miss an easy shot halfway through a break.:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob Singer View Post
          Thanks RG and Cally for the historical nuances of this great game. If anyone can suggest some good historical reading, it would be much appreciated.:snooker:
          Dont know if you have come across this site before Rob, but theres a lot of interesting stuff here; http://www.thecuecollector.com/index.html

just remember it hasn't been updated in years so ignore any valuations - cheers

Comment

Hi jrc....thanks for the site. Much appreciated - regards,

Comment

Working...
            X