easiet way to remove ferrule - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easiet way to remove ferrule - help

my cue recently started making the 'tinny' sound, after removing my tip i realised the ferrule was loose, after glueing it back on i have now noticed that it overhang's slightly from the end of the cue to where the start of the ferrule is, as it is glued obviously it is going to be hard to get off, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it off easily or does anyone have any advice???

thanks in advance.
    Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

If you have stuck it on with super glue then you will have to heat the end over the gas ring on the cooker be very careful just the ferrule then with a pair of mole grips gently turn it off clean off the glue and start again .

Comment

would a lighter be any more accurate, my hob is electric

ps. does everyone re-fit there ferrule with superglue???
      Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

yes it will be fine just the end and dont go near the shaft as for super glue some do some dont.

Comment

I use a candle. Keep the flame well away from the shaft. The brass will conduct the heat well. Clean carefully.

The overhang may be due to the cue no longer being round and the ferrule having to sit in a particular position to be flush with the shaft.

Go buy some araldite and use that to stick the ferrule on. That has the advantage that you can adjust the position to your liking.

I doubt that any good cuemaker or repairer would use superglue on a ferrule.

I've been wrong before.

Comment

The easiest way though is to stick the top 8 inches in a car door. One good slam and presto, ferrule off in seconds.

Comment

Originally Posted by craigslater View Post
              my cue recently started making the 'tinny' sound, after removing my tip i realised the ferrule was loose, after glueing it back on i have now noticed that it overhang's slightly from the end of the cue to where the start of the ferrule is, as it is glued obviously it is going to be hard to get off, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it off easily or does anyone have any advice???

thanks in advance.
              Yes, use heat to dissolve the glue.
              When you try to put it back on, find out which location would the ferrule fit the best on the shaft and mark it with a line going from the shaft to the ferrule. This way when you apply glue to put it on you know exactly where to line it up. Like other have said, the overhanging is likley due to the ferrule or shaft not ebing completely round.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I recommend to use a soldering iron instead of fire to heat up the ferrule.
                It is more safe for the cue...
                I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                  I recommend to use a soldering iron instead of fire to heat up the ferrule.
                  It is more safe for the cue...
                  good advice.

If I was doing this though I'd just pop around to my mother in law's and let her breath on it.:snooker:

Comment

err, i wouldnt be using a flame for the job personally! Not sure the flamed ash look is good on a cue! Ive used both an inverted iron (didnt tell the missus) in a workmate and also a soldering iron.

Lot of ferrules will be threaded, so wont just slip off. I always mark a point on the ferrule and cue so i know where it lines up correctly. Also wouldn't advise superglue, particularly on a threaded ferrule - unlikely you'd screw it back on fully before it sets! Araldite is good stuff you know

Comment

I remove mine by using the oil heater in the workshop. Once heated up i can remove it using a scrap piece of leather and some pliers. Remember metal expands with heat so the combination of heat loosens the glue and expands the brass and they are easier to remove. Have had a few awkward ones, but 90% of the time they just come off. In the case of threaded ferrules make sure you work it loose first as too much force and you will crack the wood under the ferrule.
                      sigpic <---New Website
                      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

To remove the ferrule, I wrap the ferrule up with a piece of leather applied a bit of pressure when spinning the shaft on my lathe. I can adjust the direction my chuck turns, so even if the ferrule is threaded it will come loose once the glue bond is broken due to the heat generated by the spin.
                        It usually come off pretty quickly.
                        Once I used a thin piece of leather and burnt my fingers.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                          To remove the ferrule, I wrap the ferrule up with a piece of leather applied a bit of pressure when spinning the shaft on my lathe. I can adjust the direction my chuck turns, so even if the ferrule is threaded it will come loose once the glue bond is broken due to the heat generated by the spin.
                          It usually come off pretty quickly.
                          Once I used a thin piece of leather and burnt my fingers.
                          That sounds a bit dangerous to me...
                          I would not accept if sombebody in the workshop would use cloth or leather on a lathe while it turns.
                          If it starts to twist it could grab your finger and severly damage it...
                          I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                            That sounds a bit dangerous to me...
                            I would not accept if sombebody in the workshop would use cloth or leather on a lathe while it turns.
                            If it starts to twist it could grab your finger and severly damage it...
                            I see what you mean.
                            I use a very thick piece of leather, which is folded in the middle. I just place it touching the ferrule with a bit of pressure, and spin the cue. It usually comes off very quickly.
                            But I agree it could be dangerous.
                            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 16 February 2010, 02:04 PM.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Darn Canadians love their adrenalin rushes!
                              sigpic <---New Website
                              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X