JP Ultimate or H&O Greenplate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP Ultimate or H&O Greenplate...

Ok, I have narrowed my search down to these 2 brands now, after much consideration of several others.
    For different reasons I am thinking these 2, but a lot has to do with the fact that they are both very near me and if I have any problems it will be very easy for me to go straight back to them and 'politely' tell them!

Any opinions as to which of these 2 cues would be the better option?
    Already got a JP cue that I am happy with, but I am aware that John doesnt do all the work himself, and therefore your not sure who actually made your cue, where as H & O will make the cue between them.
    Not too worried about wait time, altho I'm getting quoted less time with H&O.

I dont see many people on here with Hunt & Osborne cues tho? Is this a price issue or is it due to quality?

Any feedback is appreciated, I am going out Monday to both places to speak to them, will have placed an order by the end of the day hopefully!
    Highest Match Break - 77
    Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
    Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

I would not worry about the quality with H & O . I think that if you see the price that H & O' B cues are currently being sold for , there is no need to worry on that count . I asked Will Hunt in his opinion what are the better quality cues H & O'B or H & O , and he said that the cues he is making now are better quality . Because i live near their workshop , most of my mates have either Osborne or H & O cues . Only 1 person has a Parris that was bought years ago . My team mate has just bought a greenplate and he prefers it to his H & O'B cue . Good luck in choosing . Want specs and details etc on this forum by Monday night !
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I loved the honesty when I phoned him yesterday.
      I asked about the Green and Black plate cues, and he told me straight. There is no difference, the black plate is just if you want specific looks etc and they will Hunt it down for you, mind the pun!
      When I asked JP the same question about his custom made cues, I got a very unclear answer.
      I will definately visit H&O even tho they are further away, but alot depends on if he can get the colour veneer that I want or I am left with no choice!
      Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

For what it's worth, in my opinion you are looking at two of the classiest cue makers around. Although jp may not make them himself as much these days, he is a professional and I don't think he would let any cue go out unless it was quality. I use Will for retipping and he is really professional also. One tip though, don't watch him at work! He gets nervous being watched (although he asked me not to) He put on a perfect tip, but I felt I made him nervous. As it is my cue I will not watch again, but just be happy with the result!

Comment

He quoted me 12 week build time, so i doubt i will watch him lol.
          I liked the fact that they seem really down to earth, even said to me that if I am paying cash instead of card that we might be able to work out a deal.
          I remember when I asked JP for a deal last time I bought a cue from him.... lol
          Needless to say I didnt pay him cash!!
          Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

See my recent post on Will Hunt (H & O). Will is hands on, when you go round there he comes out of the work shop covered in wood shavings and smelling of glue, a real cue maker not like some other who I won't mention, who is more of Business man now then a cue maker and did I mention that ronnie is now using a H&O. Just one more point I don't think Will is making the Black plate any more. :snooker::snooker:

Comment

They said they will make the black plate if need be, but its not worth the extra if your not after exact looks. Was a pretty honest comment.
              He was quite up front in telling me that they dont have any stock cues, but that i could try any of the cues that he has finished before he ships them out.
              (anyone in china who ordered a cue, ill try not to damage it! lol)
              he said he will show me the various woods etc he has available and just seemed a really nice bloke.
              I know Ronnie has been using a H&O cue for a while now, and in the words of one of my friends, "that cue looks sick!"
              Altho in fairness, I think Ronnie would play great with a £12 Argos broomstick!
              Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

I think Ronnie would play great with a £12 Argos broomstick![/QUOTE]

Your most Properly right. But what I will say, it is clear that ronnie is not happy with his game or certain parts of his game at the moment, hence he keeps changing cue and cue maker. If your using a top cue maker regardless who it is, you'll never know how a cue is going to play untill you take those first few shot's. For the likes of us mere mortals, we can only order a cue and hope that were lucky enough to get something really special. With RO and SH they just order another and another untill they find exactly what their looking for or maybe they never will? :snooker::snooker:

Comment

I guess thats why Im changing my cue.
                  My JP Ambassador is a lovely cue, great feel and straight as possible, but Im really struggling with consistency lately and finding that using the 9mm tip isnt always great if your cueing isnt 100%.
                  My long game is shocking lately but I have been scoring well in the balls.
                  I dunno, maybe im just looking for excuses, but I think a nice 1 piece cue with a bigger tip will really help me out. I always used 9.5mm tip, not really sure why I ever changed
                  Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post
                    They said they will make the black plate if need be, but its not worth the extra if your not after exact looks. Was a pretty honest comment.
                    He was quite up front in telling me that they dont have any stock cues, but that i could try any of the cues that he has finished before he ships them out.
                    (anyone in china who ordered a cue, ill try not to damage it! lol)
                    he said he will show me the various woods etc he has available and just seemed a really nice bloke.
                    I know Ronnie has been using a H&O cue for a while now, and in the words of one of my friends, "that cue looks sick!"
                    Altho in fairness, I think Ronnie would play great with a £12 Argos broomstick!
                    I bet you are feeling like a kid in a candy shop ! Not knowing which one to choose , JP or H & O . Is your decision getting easier ?
                    Bet you can't wait till monday to get your new cue ordered . I reckon you won't sleep with all the excitement .
                    Good luck choosing [ or will you buy from both ????? ]

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                      I bet you are feeling like a kid in a candy shop ! Not knowing which one to choose , JP or H & O . Is your decision getting easier ?
                      Bet you can't wait till monday to get your new cue ordered . I reckon you won't sleep with all the excitement .
                      Good luck choosing [ or will you buy from both ????? ]
                      I am about the most impatient person when it comes to buying new stuff...
                      Seems like all the days at work are just dragging now, thats why I spend them on the net all day!
                      I think I am going to get it from H&O, but will still go to both places anyway.
                      Funnily enough, you say about ordering from both, I have my eye on a 1 piece Parris thats up for sale, agreed a price with the guy just waiting to sort out collection details etc, so I may yet end up with 1 of each lol. Im just glad that my missus doesnt come on this forum! I'll hide one of the cues down my club lol.
                      As for sleeping, I have an easy league match Sunday in our club league, I have the guy second from bottom, 1 win out of 6, I have won 6 out of 6 so should be a walk over! I'll have a beverage or two and I'll sleep like a baby!
                      Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

Yeah and when you lose , at least you can blame the cue !!!!!
                        Good luck in your match.

Comment

Finally ordered my JP Ultimate today.
                          I ordered a 1 piece ultimate, 58" with 9.5mm tip, 30mm butt with no flat, slim taper (although thinkin of changing mind)
                          4 mains splices with a single splice.
                          20-25 week wait tho!!
                          Highest Match Break - 77

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post
                            Finally ordered my JP Ultimate today.
                            I ordered a 1 piece ultimate, 58" with 9.5mm tip, 30mm butt with no flat, slim taper (although thinkin of changing mind)
                            4 mains splices with a single splice.
                            20-25 week wait tho!!
                            Nice one . What made you decide JP over H & O? I thought you would choose H & O as you said you were looking at a JP one piece .
                            I thought JP was a bit quicker than that though .

Comment

H&O best cues IMHO.
                              I would not even compare them to JP.
                              Mike Wooldridge and Trevor White are way better then JP and not much in it with H&O.
                              If its to keep its value then i would need to go once again for H&O.
                              I had Robert Osborne make me several cues for me and some pupils and i've yet to see a bad one, although i'm not saying there are none.
                              "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Working...
                              X