Cheap Cues for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Cues for beginners

I see alot of threads on here by beginners, youths or just people who havent got the kinda money to be splashing out on cues by JP, TW, MW, H&O etc etc.
    I thought id just post up about a couple of "cheap" cues I have bought off Ebay as spares and more recently cos I liked the look of the case n the cue happened to be with it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-piece-St-Geo...item3ca997cb50

I picked one of these up for £50 including the postage.
    Dont get me wrong, this cue in no way compares to those of the top branded cues, as with most things, you get what you pay for. The splice points are not perfectly even, it doesnt have a butt joint etc etc.
    However, after putting a new MW supertip and giving the shaft a good rub down with wirewool and then linseed oiling it (dunno if this helped or not but it seemed better), the cue actually played alright!
    Great for someone on a budget or trying the game for the first time

Just thought id share this info and hope that it helps some people out on here
    Highest Match Break - 77
    Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
    Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

Aer those cues actually spliced? They always looked painted to me
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

This one is just a plain ebony butt, surely it would be very light if it was just ash painted?
      I do think that some of the "exotic spliced" cues are just painted tho
      Highest Match Break - 77
      Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
      Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

Comment

They weight them, pretty much the entire Riley / BCE / MBS ranges are painted.

But I don't know about these I'm just going by the pictures. If you can play with it then its a good cue in the end

Comment

looks like a painted cue to me - why else would it be free ? - i bought one a while ago with a dodgy photo hoping it would be hand spliced, very cheap then sold it for a small loss - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MESOX:IT

Comment

The best cheap ones I've had have been MBS, like you said painted to look like ebony and other fake hardwoods & veneers but actually play quite well, had a 66 break with one of the 3/4 versions which weighed 17.5 oz and cost me a tenner. Most of the dirt cheap makes seem to be around 19 oz though

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr O View Post
              The best cheap ones I've had have been MBS, like you said painted to look like ebony and other fake hardwoods & veneers but actually play quite well, had a 66 break with one of the 3/4 versions which weighed 17.5 oz and cost me a tenner. Most of the dirt cheap makes seem to be around 19 oz though
              I have one of those, mbs 56" 17oz. It wasn't a bad cue, came with mini butt and long ebonised extension. It was just way too short.

Ugliest cues ever seen though...

Comment

Ha ha ye agree they do look nasty lol

Comment

Working...
                X