Extension help please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension help please...

Hello, first post from a new member, exciting times for us all! I'm going to be buying a 3/4 piece new cue soon and i will be getting a 6" mini butt for the s.d joint in the bottom. I just wondered whether i should get an extension that screws in when i remove my butt or should i get one that fits the s.d joint? Does anyone know the possible benefits of each?

Is it better to use the s.d joint because your using more of your actual cue?

I've always had a 1/2 piece and used one of those stick on things which obviously isn't ideal so i thought i'd find out what you thought about screw in extensions, as i've never used them before. Thanks for your time.

Phill. :snooker:

I'm also fairly fairly new to snooker cues and when I asked the same questions 3 years ago I could not get a response so let me share...

The 6" wood extension is very usefull, I have two, one 6" and another 9" which I made ( I'm a woodturner).

I also discovered that an 11/15 plastic extension is used several times each frame. I'm over 6' tall and use the short plastic extension rather than the mechanical bridge whenever I can.

If you don't buy the longest extension available, you will regret it several times a month.

I guess the answer is that you need them all unless you are prepared to limit your choices. It is probably true that the novice needs more tools that the experienced professional, we simply don't have the experience to handle every situation.

Good luck!

Comment

its worth having the extension. more flexible, and theyre surprisingly sturdy. the extension butt that screws into your cue is good, but i think it adds too much weight. i prefer a light aluminium joint that screws into your sd joint. and if you get the telescopic extensions, you can adjust your length for each shot so its right =] very handy to have IMHO

Comment

Originally Posted by Phlanders View Post
        Hello, first post from a new member, exciting times for us all! I'm going to be buying a 3/4 piece new cue soon and i will be getting a 6" mini butt for the s.d joint in the bottom. I just wondered whether i should get an extension that screws in when i remove my butt or should i get one that fits the s.d joint? Does anyone know the possible benefits of each?

Is it better to use the s.d joint because your using more of your actual cue?

I've always had a 1/2 piece and used one of those stick on things which obviously isn't ideal so i thought i'd find out what you thought about screw in extensions, as i've never used them before. Thanks for your time.

Phill. :snooker:
        Personally , i like the screw in extension at the end of the butt , as you don't need to undo your cue everytime you need to use it . It just makes it easier . If you are not to good with the rest , the 6" extension is good but it does take a little getting used to , as there is more shaft between your bridge hand and the object ball . In conclusion i believe that it is just down to personal preference or you could be like me and stretch to hit the ball , miss the pot and then blame yourself because you are too lazy to put the extension on !! Why buy it i hear you say ...i know ...i know ...just lazy .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

do the screw in extensions fit most cues?
          and what about the telescopic push on extensions, are they sturdy?
          If practice makes perfect, and no one's perfect, then why practice?

Comment

The screws and joints are not generic. So if you buy a Master cue for example, it won't fit a Parris extension. So you should really buy your extension from the same place you buy the cue.

The push on telescopic (telecue extender i think its called) is fine, but I think they are mainly used in clubs so everyone can use it. If you're going to buy one for your own use, you're better off with a telescopic with screw to fit your SD joint. It's definately sturdier, and nicer to play with (IMHO) because it doesn't wrap round the butt and make it thicker.
            Last edited by tcollick; 1 March 2010, 12:38 PM.
            http://frameball.com:snooker:

Comment

thanks for advice mate appreciate it. i have a slight problem with buying a screw in extension though.
              Bought my cue from ebay and the site it came from is a wholesaler and no options of buying. East sea cue
              http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/webz101/2.jpg

Comment

No worries mate...Did a search and they do have them. http://www.dhtq.com/english/display.asp?ArticleID=690 (second pic from bottom).
                If your wholesaler doesn't stock maybe you can try and source elsewhere.
                There's also an offchance that they may have used a UK branded SD joint and screw as a template for their own, so it might be worth checking out a few other brands or mates cues on the offchance that it's the same and fits.
                Saying that, if its a real hassle then the push on is fine, I use it when its closer and can't be arsed to fetch my own...just make sure it fits in the cue case (I guess you can leave it at the club if you always play at the same place) cos its quite thick!
                Last edited by tcollick; 1 March 2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

yeah that's the site I was looking at previously but didn't see an option to buy and didn't want to ring them because most likely it'll be a chineese bloke on the other end talking jibberish .

Just found their email so I'll see if I can get one sent over. fingers crossed!
                  Cheers for advice on the thickness of push on extender as I'm thinking about getting a new case as well.

Comment

Good luck mate...email definately the way to go

Comment

Hello, sorry, maybe made myself slighty unclear, i am definately buying a 6" mini butt extension and i'm going to get a telescopic extension to screw into my cue. I just don't know whether to buy the one that goes into the s.d joint in the bottom of the cue, or to get the one that goes into the shaft once the butt is removed, sorry for any mix-up.

Phill.

Comment

Hi mate, sorry I was unclear as it wasn't a reply to the original post...as Neil says definately make it an extension that goes into the SD joint on the butt as its a hassle undoing your cue for the extension, then doing it back again. I actually didn't know they made those anymore, especially a telescopic one. My brother has a 3/4 Sheradon cue from Sheffield about 25 years old with the extension that goes into the shaft. The extension is really long and it's a real hassle doing it all, and it only ended up about 6inches longer than the regular cue! This was before the SD joint existed I think.

Comment

Thanks matey, yeah, i'd imagine that it's more stable too.

Comment

On my JP classic the extension connects to the shaft, but i feel losing the weight of the butt makes the cue too light, so i reckon its better to connect to the butt if you have the choice (or stay in position )

Comment

Originally Posted by Phlanders View Post
                              Hello, sorry, maybe made myself slighty unclear, i am definately buying a 6" mini butt extension and i'm going to get a telescopic extension to screw into my cue. I just don't know whether to buy the one that goes into the s.d joint in the bottom of the cue, or to get the one that goes into the shaft once the butt is removed, sorry for any mix-up.

Phill.
                              most cuemakers only make one or the other anyways. for instance craftsman classic cue extensions i think screw into the shaft, however the craftsman own uk made range screw into the butt socket.
                              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X