Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's best protection for a cue regarding cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's best protection for a cue regarding cases?

Hello, i am buying a new case in the near future for a 3/4 length cue, i've often wondered why leather cases are approx four times more expensive than alluminium cases? Do they protect them better or is it purely a looks thing?

To be quite honest i don't mind the look of an al' case, it is what i have currently. The one thing i would say about it is that it always feels like it's been sat in a freezer, i.e. very cold (this is not because it's being kept in a cold place, it's kept at room temp' in our spare room). Is this a reason why people use wooden cases? In case it changes the temp of your cue? I do realise that may sound slightly ridiculous but it does play on my mind.

What do professionals use? Can anyone recommend a good quality alluminium case? My current one is cue craft. I should say i'm buying a new one because of a change in cue size. If a wooden one does protect it better, i would buy one of those instead. I just want the best case to protect my cue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time, i know it's not the most exciting snooker topic!!

Phill. :snooker:

The reason why some go for a leather case over aluminium is probably because there are more designs to choose from , and they are some what lighter than ali .

As far as protection goes you cant get better than ali , so if your just worried about protection and not so much abot design or weight then stick with the cue craft .

Comment

Putting your cue in a hard case is the best way to protect your cue. Whether it's aluminium or leathered, if not mistaken they are only differ in appearance.

Not too sure if the room temperature could affect your cue through the case. But if that's the case then nobody would use those aluminium case in hot country. I personally like the wooden case, because of its unique beauty and classic. Never own one before, they are quite expensive around my place.

If I'm right, professional use something like that..
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200377303357

Comment

The temp in an ali (silver case) should be more consistent than other materials. The best ones are Barracuda and cuecraft but the cheaper ones are adequate. Leather cases just look more fancy, but it's easy to get bored of them and go for a different design, til you get bored of that aswell and see another you like

Comment

I think in terms of protection Leather and Aluminium cases provide the same function. Both take a battering instead of your cue, but the aluminium ones with the pastic ends seems to handle it better.

I used a Cue Craft case for many years, then decided to treat myself to a leather North Wales Cases (CrispianJones on here) one, the interior tastefully done in Aston Villa claret and blue suede.

There is a substantial difference in cost, but for me the leather looks better, even if it requires a bit more care when carrying it around.

Comment

i have same problem with you, the leather cases are too expensive(more than 100pound)
            by the way, who knows how much should be charged when we take a cue by plane?

Comment

any of you mates have experience with fiberglass ones?

they look really neat and am currently considering one for my coming cue.

Comment

Have had a Mac Chambers leather case since mid 80s to fit 2 one piece cues. Its one of my treasured possessions dak brown leather , red suede inside it cost £120 then!! Still it was the clubs fruit machine that gave me the cash!!Its a little battered now but thats just the leather its still keeps my cue safe... so if you want a leather one go for it ,but they are not cheap.

Comment

Using the tube made of natural materials, either leather or wood - is likely to matter more than the image of effective protection. Natural materials in a more condense the moisture and give part of it inside the tube, which is extremely harmful to the cue. The most effective cue is protected in a rigid tube made of synthetic materials. I'm number 31, do not say that I am extremely pleased.
                  http://www.arthit.ru/cue-cases/cue-cases.html

Comment

Wow - some pretty fancy cases there Vitalich, and i suspect they have fancy prices too.

I have never really fancied one of those tube cases - i would imagine that bits of stuff get wedged in the bottom and could scratch the cue?

Comment

Originally Posted by dong326 View Post
                      by the way, who knows how much should be charged when we take a cue by plane?
                      It is free as long as the baggage including your cue & case is within the flight limit of 15-20kg.

So airline charges abt USD$10 per 1kg for extra weight exited

Comment

Originally Posted by pigeonslayer View Post
                        Wow - some pretty fancy cases there Vitalich, and i suspect they have fancy prices too.

I have never really fancied one of those tube cases - i would imagine that bits of stuff get wedged in the bottom and could scratch the cue?
                        The cue inside this tube is not damaged. It is well inserted into the tube, covered with felt. So it remains smooth, clean and even warm. But I still do not like))

Comment

The good about leather or leatherette cases, plus being of natural material ie wood as base; case is not greatly affected by weather.

Comment

Working...
                          X