Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O´min cues - experiences, aggregate topic

Greetings people!
    I would need help about my first choice (for now). I am asking, all of you who used O´min cues to tell me experiences with them, feel, balance, quality etc.
    Amout of money that I intended for buying snooker cue would be aprox. 315 US$, 210£ or 230€, shipment is not included. I found few greatly designed Union, Perfect and Climax models. Thank you very much for help in advance.
    Last edited by FiZor; 3 March 2010, 09:02 PM.
    Noli turbare circulos meos.

very good cues in my opinion. not quite as expensive as an english made cue, better value for money. if you want a fairly good hitting cue, with a decent finish, Omin provides that at a very affordable price. PM unclevit. he deals in Omin products, and would be able to sort u out good deals if u wanted

Comment

O'min & mastercue are both the best cue maker in thailand.

They are definitely value for money cue, they are also in a class of their own compared to UK made cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by FiZor View Post
        Greetings people!
        I would need help about my first choice (for now). I am asking, all of you who used O´min cues to tell me experiences with them, feel, balance, quality etc.
        Amout of money that I intended for buying snooker cue would be aprox. 315 US$, 210£ or 230€, shipment is not included. I found few greatly designed Union, Perfect and Climax models. Thank you very much for help in advance.
        I've had an Omin for about 6 months now and I am very happy with it. I had it custom built for my specifications - 59 inches, 180z, 9.5 tip and picked my own splicing design. I haven't been bothered putting pictures up yet. I have a Omin Union.

BITTER on this forum is the cuemaker for Welsh Pool Trading and he said that Thai shafts are as good or better than English ones. That was one of the things that attracted me to buy an Omin.

In regards to feel, balance and quality I am extremely happy. The cue is finished in oil and everyone that has used my cue is amazed at how smooth it is. Airlock joint is perfect and the splicing is 100%.

As for price, from what I can recall from the top of my head is that an Omin Classic - ash shaft and ebony butt is around 220 USD. That is just for the cue though, no mini butt or extension. MY Union was around 430 USD, once again that is just the cue. The higher price is attributed to the splicing. One of the guys in my club wanted an Omin too. I got a quote and I think for cue, case, mini butt, telescopic extension and delivery it totalled to approx 450 USD.

I got my cue through this man. He is very helpful: jhleong at originalomin dot com.

PS: this was still in my inbox.

quote as below , classic cue one piece ash wood = USD 240 omin one piece case (black) = USD 120 china one piece case only silver + USD 70 mini butt = USD 25telescopic 9 " = USD 30telescopic 18 " = USD 45 shipping from Thailand to Australia 55

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
          I've had an Omin for about 6 months now and I am very happy with it. I had it custom built for my specifications - 59 inches, 180z, 9.5 tip and picked my own splicing design. I haven't been bothered putting pictures up yet. I have a Omin Union.

BITTER on this forum is the cuemaker for Welsh Pool Trading and he said that Thai shafts are as good or better than English ones. That was one of the things that attracted me to buy an Omin.

In regards to feel, balance and quality I am extremely happy. The cue is finished in oil and everyone that has used my cue is amazed at how smooth it is. Airlock joint is perfect and the splicing is 100%.

As for price, from what I can recall from the top of my head is that an Omin Classic - ash shaft and ebony butt is around 220 USD. That is just for the cue though, no mini butt or extension. MY Union was around 430 USD, once again that is just the cue. The higher price is attributed to the splicing. One of the guys in my club wanted an Omin too. I got a quote and I think for cue, case, mini butt, telescopic extension and delivery it totalled to approx 450 USD.

I got my cue through this man. He is very helpful: jhleong at originalomin dot com.

PS: this was still in my inbox.

quote as below , classic cue one piece ash wood = USD 240 omin one piece case (black) = USD 120 china one piece case only silver + USD 70 mini butt = USD 25telescopic 9 " = USD 30telescopic 18 " = USD 45 shipping from Thailand to Australia 55
          for the classic, that isnt hand spliced tho is it? not that it makes much of a difference, im only curious =]

Comment

I think it is. There are certain ones which aren't. But the classic is the base cue; ash/ebony and handspliced. If you have any other queries, that email will answer all your questions.

Comment

Classic is hand-made and is cheaper because it is only pure ebony(no splicing). Union and Wonderful is higher range of Omin. Depends on what wood you use for the butt.. Some could even cost higher. All Omin cues are tournament grade and nice playing feel.
              Most of them only differ in beauty and splicing. PM unclevit, he'll able to explain to you more detail and he personally will help you get a good cue. Getting my Climax soon from Unclevit...
              Jh is a Omin dealer in Malaysia. You can get good deals with him and all his stuff are original. I got my Omin Spirit from him.. very nice ..
              http://originalomin.com/

All the best..
              Cheers

Comment

I have been using a Omin Classic since '99 and have found them to be decent for their price. I went for a hiatus and only recently returned to snooker.

With my buddies mostly owning JP and Omin (mostly Union), it was quite easy to make a comparison between them.

What i realised was that the newer Omins now has really improved and they certainly closed the gap between UK made ones and theirs. They used to be very slim tapered and slightly on the flexi side but the current makes are very much like the UK cues where the shafts and butts are thicker. Finishing is great too with various different splices being offered. Feel wise, the Union provide a certain "power" in the shafts which compares them to the UK made ones.

I recently tried and was very impressed with a mate's new 1pc maple Union and I was equally impressed with a 1pc ash Perfect too except that the Perfect lacked "power" which the Union had.

Forgive me as I do not know how to express the "power" feeling..

So, in conclusion if you are looking for Omins, I must say that you are looking the correct direction....until you decide to splash more then you look towards the UK makers. i always believed that One have to own at least 1 UK handmade cue.

Btw, the best cue I have personally played with is an 16 yr old JP Special which my buddy would never part with. It's Heads & Shoulders Surprisingly enough, I have just placed an order from a UK maker (waiting patiently now) and it is not JP.

i have never played with cues from the other UK makers but I believe they are all THERE.

Hope you get your dream cue and enjoy your :snooker:

cheerio

Comment

Is is mike wooldrige or mastercraft?

Comment

I think you can pay a visit at omin Thailand website. You can deal with unclevit next time if found your favourate splicing. Here is the link: http://www.omincues.com/index_eng.php

Comment

I have three Parris cues, one having the postal code, which is the best parris. I have
                      a Trevor White cue also. And my favorite cue is my O'min perfect. I like the shaft the
                      most. I may have lucked out but I like the O'min better then my other cue's which I
                      will be selling at some point. I will be keeping the O'min!!

Comment

Thank you very much people for your oppinions and suggestions :snooker:
                        Noli turbare circulos meos.

Comment

My honest opinion on many of these types of cues are that they are good starter cues. Ok as long as you stay clear of the rubbish airlock joints and the ones that have those rubbish thin plastic extentions that fall to bits with use.

Not as good as English made cues, beware many of them look good but are often made often using a composite material that looks like ebony but is not.
                          Cheap, nice looking and comparable on price but no-where near as good as the British made market leaders and because of the mass produced way they make them they will not overtake them for now.

7/10 :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                            My honest opinion on many of these types of cues are that they are good starter cues. Ok as long as you stay clear of the rubbish airlock joints and the ones that have those rubbish thin plastic extentions that fall to bits with use.

Not as good as English made cues, beware many of them look good but are often made often using a composite material that looks like ebony but is not.
                            Cheap, nice looking and comparable on price but no-where near as good as the British made market leaders and because of the mass produced way they make them they will not overtake them for now.

nah, i dont think just cause its english, its better made. dont confuse a good Omin cue with your generic chinese or other asian branded cues.
                            its like putting BCE and Riley cues into the same bag as Parris or MW or TW or any of the top guns, just because its 'english'. ive played with some excellent Omin's in the past and think they make top cues, cause the ones i played with werent even top of the line models, yet; play as good, if not better than MANY english cues people over here buy from alcocks/stores. Omin do make good quality stuff, and to be honest, at a fraction of the price. I think they make good quality cues all round, whether it be for a beginner OR a pro. =]

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post

Agree with bognoggin here. 1Lawyer I've heard you defend Parris countless times saying you don't believe a word of the crtiticisms but 3 out of 4 uk makers let me down in a big way, including Parris.

If you're going to defame Thai cue makers collectively perhaps I should respond by giving the truth on a few specific UK makers that I've dealt with, leading me to suspect that there's a general slackness among UK suppliers that depend a lot more on hype than actual quality of service. I suspect that's why a lot of forum members here spend so much time sucking up to makers - so they'll get a good example.

Quite happy with my current MW though...
                              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                              X