Cue preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue preparation

Hi I have a question because I prepare my cue at myself now! Can anyone say me what is used at last part on the shaft (finishing part) after laquered the cue! Is this a anti corrosion varnish? Because I have sanded the shaft of my cue of with sandpaper and now it has gone away! I don't know the name of this varnish! Its the last part before a cue has finish created!

What make of cue is it?

Forget about the varnish and use linseed oil instead on the whole cue.
    Looks better, feels better...
    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Not too sure what you mean there. For good quality cues, most of them just finish by oiling. You can use cue oil or linseed oil. It feeds the cue and keep the shaft nice.

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ht=linseed+oil

Hope this helps..

Comment

I think the last part towards the tip they use raw linseed oil, also don't think you should sandpaper your cue, may be wrong though!

Comment

If he is trying to sand off the lacquered it should be alright... but make sure very fine grade sandpaper is use..
          At least grade 1000 and above ..

Cheers

Comment

its a maple cue! the thing is I have it sandes of and now it glides too much through my hands! I must repair this!

Comment

Originally Posted by Reini0100 View Post
              its a maple cue! the thing is I have it sandes of and now it glides too much through my hands! I must repair this!
              No worries on that.
              You simply just use a wet/moist cloth to clean your cue, the wetness will wash away the tiny residue of the sanding.
              After the process, cue will be just the way it should be.

Or you can simply oil the cue once or twice, it should do the job.

Hope it helps.

Comment

you don't understand! i have completely sandes off the shaft so i play with only the maple wood! oil alone is not a answer! I think I need a glaze

Comment

Cues are generally either oil or oil/wax finished. If you have sanded the varnish from a cheaper cue and so are left with bare wood you would need to apply multiple coats on linseed oil to the cue, instructions can be found from knowledgeable people on the forum in the past.
                  You can then optionally finish the cue with wax though I prefer just oil finish myself.

Craftsman sells a wax you could use on your cue, I have some and have used it in the past on a cheap cue, I would much prefer just an oil finish. If you do decide to use this I would suggest to use as little as possible.
                  i'm not sure about international shipping though you would have to contact craftsman and ask
                  http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ries.html#a368
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Don't know why but when i saw this thread i thought of a Cue salad

Spliced cue, garnished with triangle chalk, green baize with a dash of side and swerve.
                    sigpic <---New Website
                    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

does nobody understand me here? i play only with the wood! there is no laquered finish on my shaft! I need the kind of laquer that is used by building a cue shaft finish!

Comment

I need the name of the surface which is on the wood that makes the cue glaze!

Comment

Its called linseed oil! You apply multiple coats and let it soak into the wood. Other people use wax as well.

Varnish is what they use on cheap cues to hide the bad quality wood, nobody refinishes cues with it, they remove before oiling the wood.

The shine comes from the level of finish before you oil the cue. You want to go up to over 1000grit sandpaper really and then give the cue multiple coats of oil.
                          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Ok there are only a few ways to finish a cue.

Oil, Wax and Varnish/Laquer.

Oil finish is done via finishing the cue then applying several coats of oil till you get the desired finish.

Wax comes in a paste and you can apply it with wirewood or a cloth and then buff off.

And Laquer/varnish is paint which seals the wood but does not let it breathe and is usually what cheaper cues are finished with.

No such thing as a anti corrosion finish.
                            sigpic <---New Website
                            Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

If the others agree we could switch to German.
                              Maybe that would make things easier...
                              So if you like just write your problem in German and I'll try to help.
                              I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Working...
                              X