Installing an end joint??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an end joint??

Good afternoon all - throwing this question out to you all: I have a Craftsman cue which weighs about 17oz and has NO end joint. I want to add an end joint which would then add weight.

Only thing is, im in London and craftsman cues are in Leeds! Just wondering if anyone knows where i can get a end joint somewhere nearer to London than Leeds lol.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated

What type of end join. And remember you have to remove timber in order to add the join and it wont add all that much. Maybe .25 to .5 of an ounce. I might be able to help you out as im in Oxfordshire.
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Well at present the cue is about 17oz but i want it at 19oz (it was given to me so i had no choice on the weight) ive just read back on the first email n i think i read it wrong :s they said if the cue has NO end joint the re-weighting would cost £10. Is that about right? if so its just the weight i want added not the joint.

Comment

Go to JP or HB they are in london .

Comment

Do they re-weight any cue do u know? i know of John Parris (HB?)

Comment

Get Dan (totlxtc) to help you with it, he is a very nice going chap.
            At least you dun have to wait a couple of days for the butt joint & re-weight to be completed.

Comment

But I dont think add an end joint will add weight....

Comment

Originally Posted by espresso_ren View Post
                But I dont think add an end joint will add weight....
                Could be yes (weight increase)...could be no...(weight stay/decrease)

Depends on how much the "damage" done by the cue maker
                My cueing sucks

Comment

Is it possible to change out a butt joint without doing any damage? Say swap out a bog standard "cheapy" joint for an air-lock or other better quality joint. What would it cost roughly?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                    Is it possible to change out a butt joint without doing any damage? Say swap out a bog standard "cheapy" joint for an air-lock or other better quality joint. What would it cost roughly?
                    Yes and no. For example if you have a JP base join its about 12mm. If you wanted to change it to an airlock then that could be 14.5mm, so drilling would be required. Where as if it was the other way round, a 14.5mm plug would have to be made, then drilled out to the 12mm to accomodate the join.

Different joins add or remove weight. Also its dependant on what the cue style is ie: 3/4 or 1 piece as a 3/4 ebony will be solid ebony, whereas the 1 piece will have a ash core.

So overall the sum would be:

Cue Weight - Timber removed = Drilled weight + Join = Final Weight.

So if you had a 18oz cue and drilled 1.5 inches and removed 0.25 ounces and added a join that was 0.5 oz then it would be

18 - 0.25 = 17.75oz + 0.5oz - 18.25oz
                    sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Thanks totlxtc , so a bit of juggling needs to be done and the "damage" (for want of a better word) is that if you're not careful you end up with a cue which is a different weight than the one you started with. Also, I suppose, the balance point could move a bit? What about cost? Roughly.

Comment

I think its anything from £15 - £45 depending on the maker really. Its a simple enough job.
                        sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                          I think its anything from £15 - £45 depending on the maker really. Its a simple enough job.
                          Thanks, that's not too bad. It was a Craftsman cue I was thinking about converting rather than have to buy another set of extensions. Just fiddling about with various options really. Already got two cues with different "ends". Thinking of trying to get a bit of consistancy!!

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                            Yes and no. For example if you have a JP base join its about 12mm. If you wanted to change it to an airlock then that could be 14.5mm, so drilling would be required. Where as if it was the other way round, a 14.5mm plug would have to be made, then drilled out to the 12mm to accomodate the join.

Different joins add or remove weight. Also its dependant on what the cue style is ie: 3/4 or 1 piece as a 3/4 ebony will be solid ebony, whereas the 1 piece will have a ash core.

So overall the sum would be:

Cue Weight - Timber removed = Drilled weight + Join = Final Weight.

So if you had a 18oz cue and drilled 1.5 inches and removed 0.25 ounces and added a join that was 0.5 oz then it would be

18 - 0.25 = 17.75oz + 0.5oz - 18.25oz
                            Thanks a lot for sharing a very detail info here...Cheers....
                            My cueing sucks

Comment

Working...
                            X