Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 57.5" too long for me? ( My height is 5'8" )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 57.5" too long for me? ( My height is 5'8" )

As the title says...

My current cue is 57" and it seems OK... just curious tho... my arms aren't the longest.... Just wondered if this is too long for my build/height? Considering getting a new cue, making it 57.5". I'm guessing there's no true way to find out unless I try out a cheap, shorter cue for a while and see how I get on...

As a "general rule" - although it will vary person to person...

Great forum btw

As long as your Comfortable thats the Main thing? As most people are Different and most people can adapt to the Length.

John Higgins got Short Cue and has a very Small Back Swing.....And Hes No1 in the World.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
      As long as your Comfortable thats the Main thing? As most people are Different and most people can adapt to the Length.

John Higgins got Short Cue and has a very Small Back Swing.....And Hes No1 in the World.

John higgins has a very small backswing...No, don't talk silly mun.....

Comment

You dun have to find a cheap cue in-order to understand if the length is suitable for you.
        But human body is something very special, 1/2" will never affect your game much but whether will the extended length help your game to the next higher level, it will have to depend on your basic (stance, bridge hand, back swing etc).

Since you are playing well with a 57" cue, stay with it and instead find yourself a coach to fine-tune your current game.

Comment

Thank you for your replies...

Will see how it goes... thx again

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post

You sure he has small back swing ??

Comment

57.5" cue is same length as mine and im 6ft. Yet someone i know who is 6ft3 uses a 56" cue. its personal preference...
              My new cue is gonna be 58" tho, that extra half inch can make all the difference, ask any woman!
              Highest Match Break - 77
              Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
              Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

Comment

John Higgins pulls his cue back until the ferrule is at the 'V' of his bridge. Now I haven't measured it nor watched him live, but I would say that fits into the 'long backswing' category, even though he lopped 2 inches off his cue a couple of years ago.

Perhaps he did it to cut down on the amount of cue he has past the 'V' when in the address prosition, however since he did that he has become more consistent. Whether it was due to the shorter cue is debatable of course.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post
                  57.5" cue is same length as mine and im 6ft.
                  Same. And I have pretty long arms.. I don't even hold it riiight at the end either.

Comment

Originally Posted by CoolBlue View Post
                    As the title says...

My current cue is 57" and it seems OK... just curious tho... my arms aren't the longest.... Just wondered if this is too long for my build/height? Considering getting a new cue, making it 57.5". I'm guessing there's no true way to find out unless I try out a cheap, shorter cue for a while and see how I get on...

As a "general rule" - although it will vary person to person...

Great forum btw
                    I think you've answered your own question. I had a lot of grief with my cue this last week regarding length, as a result I balls the cue up and it will now cost a few bob to put right. I brought a Peardon Edwardian, for £80 last Friday. The cue was 58inch long, I took it down the club and hand a few frames with it and it was ok but didn't feel right. I took it home and cut 1/2 an inch of the butt and it is really playing well and feels right.
                    So you could do something like I've done or just see what size cue's your mates have and try theirs until you find something the feels right. I wish I had done this before having my cue shorten.
                    PS I think it's fair to say that it's easier to play with a cue that’s a little long than a little short.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                      I think you've answered your own question. I had a lot of grief with my cue this last week regarding length, as a result I balls the cue up and it will now cost a few bob to put right. I brought a Peardon Edwardian, for £80 last Friday. The cue was 58inch long, I took it down the club and hand a few frames with it and it was ok but didn't feel right. I took it home and cut 1/2 an inch of the butt and it is really playing well and feels right.
                      So you could do something like I've done or just see what size cue's your mates have and try theirs until you find something the feels right. I wish I had done this before having my cue shorten.
                      PS I think it's fair to say that it's easier to play with a cue that’s a little long than a little short.
                      If you have done this process earlier, you wouldnt have had your JP shorten by an inch at a go by Dan.
                      Shortening of cue will not only affect your play, it affects the entire dynamics of the cue itself. Even if the cue has been lengthen or resplice, the feel of the cue will never be the same ever again.

Comment

That's a fair point, I hope I've learned someting from this, as regards to my cue I think it's worth getting JP to put it write before selling. :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                        X