Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said mate !

Comment

Bobnogg!n yeah,that old gargantuan behemoth 'fine sandpaper' is a notorious slayer of many a cue in all breadths of the globe.Its only recommended to do exactly what that 'poor lad' wanted it to.

Comment

Bobnogg!n you might be under the weather from low potassium in your diet.Some symptoms of potassium deficiency include poor circulation, bluish tint to skin, Chronic-Fatigue Syndrome, diabetes, earaches, headaches, edema, heart palpitations, hypertension, muscle weakness, insomnia, intestinal pain, oppressive breathing, pain in the eyes, swollen glands, prolapsed uterus, tissue anemia,and water retention.
        I pray you keep abreast of this in good time,god speed.

Comment

i am under the weather actually, a slight fever i developed a few days back. im impressed you picked that up, but that wont stop me from saying what everyone on this thread thinks about you. im cool with you, except that attitude where you assume everything you know is right because it worked for you. you know what? it sounds petty, but i HOPE your cue gets damaged over time. your precious cheap cue. then you'll realise WHY you shouldn't treat cues the way you do. there are proven methods for things for a reason. if you could get that through your thick skull, it might open your eyes to realise you don't know as much as you think you do. you moron.

Comment

Hmm, there#s nothing at all wrong with a Riley from a sport shop..

Oh yeh except...
            Poor quality materials
            Painted butts
            Generally poor balance
            cheap joints, often the centre joint models grate on your chin because they are not flush
            Varnish
            Lack of choice of correct cue specs...

Well apart from that they are great!
            Yes you can find some that play well, and doubtless Ronnie could make a century with one, but that still doesn't make it a good cue, if you played with a decent cue.

It may not particularly limit your game playing with a bad cue, but you might find a step up in consistency, and most certainly a better feeling on every shot.

It is false economy to say "I'll buy a cheap cue now because I am a beginner". Buy cheap, buy twice. You can get some decent cues quite cheap second hand on Ebay. There's just no comparing a proper cue to a cheap one
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Jordson,I played another 3 hours with my cue on tues night,smooth and purring,you can prob see the forest through the trees with the Nickelodeon post #64.As you said your game doesnt warrant a big outlay the sticking problem is an easy one to fix,just try getting better from there,if your cue feels good there isnt any reason you shouldnt improve.
              Last edited by trains; 24 March 2010, 04:47 AM.

Comment

RGCirencester good stuff but I've only found the game easier and more enjoyable in the last predominantly 6 months.If I continue to buzz round the table I might get a name cue,its prob only a matter of time but in the OP's case he said his game isnt v fluent.
                A 'cheaper' cue should be perfectly adequate in his case.Btw if you havent checked out Rileys/BCE's latest cues just give em a butchers.For the unseasoned amateur and more there dandy,he's not a prolific player,there a good stepping stone,its all good.

Comment

Buying a cheap cue riley or BCE is pointless as for a small amount extra you can get a far better cue comprised of better materials with a better finish, that will last you longer.

That said if as in Jordsons case he already has one, then sanding the laquer off is pretty much the only option. I think everyone would agree the cue has bugger all resale value so there's not really anything to lose.

I started out with a cheapy chinese cue off ebay which I ended up sanding this made the cue alot more playable. There's no doubt that applying Linseed oil will make the cue last longer by protecting it.

I have tried the BCE Riley cues and compared to the 3 handmade cues and the cheap chinese cue i've used they are cack and best avoided. One of the handmade cues and the chinese cue were off ebay for around £60 delivered

Jordson the one thing you definitely want to do if you haven't already is change the tip, as the majority of cheap cues come with a rock solid lump on the end. Good luck.

Comment

r8 guys just gonna settle some arguements looming in this thred.

Firstly, i played last night and before i set off i took some sand paper out of my tool box (am a joiner so it was really fine not to rougth) and gave it a good going over. obviously not to much

Secondly, it played the best it ever has, i won 2-1 and recorded my highest break 37 not very good to you guys but i was over the moon.

and nearly done, thanks for the advice it did get a new tip i put a elkmaster tip on first thing when it arrived. FINALY i have ordered some cue oil i think it is as said buy one reply to keep moisture out

Thanks for all you help

Comment

Congrats it makes a massive difference being able to cue smoothly. I played with my sanded cue for a year or two then got a bargain handmade WPT cue on ebay. As long as your happy with it then it really doesn't matter what cue it is.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jordson View Post
                        r8 guys just gonna settle some arguements looming in this thred.

Firstly, i played last night and before i set off i took some sand paper out of my tool box (am a joiner so it was really fine not to rougth) and gave it a good going over. obviously not to much

Secondly, it played the best it ever has, i won 2-1 and recorded my highest break 37 not very good to you guys but i was over the moon.

and nearly done, thanks for the advice it did get a new tip i put a elkmaster tip on first thing when it arrived. FINALY i have ordered some cue oil i think it is as said buy one reply to keep moisture out

Thanks for all you help
                        Which cue oil?
                        I've got just plain old raw linseed.
                        I've been told Danish oil is fine too. I believe Trevor White, Mike Wooldridge, Parris etc use their own blends.
                        Bees wax and wax polishes are used too.

Trevor White told me he thought oil finish was best I know Craftsman use wax. My mate has a pot of their wax.

You can apply the oil and leave it on overnight. Then wipe down and give a good buff. Card like the inside of a cereal packet is good to buff with (top tip that) You can't put too much oil on it stops being absorbed. Might take you a few applications and feel a bit tacky at first but once you've got a good finish you only need do it once in a blue moon. Just wipe with damp cloth to clean.

The oil stops wood from drying and repels moisture as well as giving a smoother finish.

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
                          Trevor White told me he thought oil finish was best I know Craftsman use wax. My mate has a pot of their wax.
                          If its the stuff that comes in a tin like boot polish, use a very small amount and I would try it on a cheap cue first. I'm not too keen on it really but it is alright for quikly finishing cheap cues.
                          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Hi Gazza147
                            i have sent you an email regarding your cue please could you reply as it doesnt look like i can send private messages

Comment

Binny ... you need 10post to PM ...

Comment

I am using mike wooldrige cue oil. Its excellant. you can try it.

Comment

Working...
                                X