Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is a 3/4 cue cut before hand splicing or after?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a 3/4 cue cut before hand splicing or after?

The only reason that I ask is that i ordered a cue which turned up 2 inches shorter than ordered.

I was then told that they could make a longer shaft and just attach it to the butt.

Is this how it works and wont that affect the balance of the cue.

I always thought that they used one entire length of ash and then cut it 3/4 down the shaft at the end of it's production i.e. after splicing etc.

Please help me. I'm starting to worry

Paul

I think you'll find on a 3/4 cue the ash stops at the shaft joint, and that the butt is solid ebony or whatever with any splicings added to that. As for balance point it will be affected slightly but so neglible you wont notice it (in my opinion, could be wrong)

Comment

http://www.robertosbornecues.com/uk/production.htm
      page 3
      should be after the splicing.......

Comment

But I think some cue makers also build their 3/4 cue as a 1 piece then cut it to 3/4...I have seen some Robert Osbourn built like that.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

you can request it but I think it would cost extra due to the additional effort required to make a 1 piece cue.
          Handspliced cues jointed above the splices for instance will have an ash core like a 1 piece.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

cheers guys

Comment

Yeah really does depend.
              I think most especially the high butt cues are made that way.
              If you got a one with a say 17 - 18" long butt and had the join at 18-19" in the shaft then you'd have no doubt. Ronnie O'S used one like this for a while.

Which cue maker?
              The ones I know will normally make you another cue if your not happy. They can soon shift the cues as they normally have a waiting list.

Comment

Originally Posted by polotechnics View Post
                The only reason that I ask is that i ordered a cue which turned up 2 inches shorter than ordered.

I was then told that they could make a longer shaft and just attach it to the butt.

Is this how it works and wont that affect the balance of the cue.

I always thought that they used one entire length of ash and then cut it 3/4 down the shaft at the end of it's production i.e. after splicing etc.

Please help me. I'm starting to worry

Paul
                I would worry as well Paul , my old cue made by Robert Osborne was made out of 1 piece of wood and cut down and i'm sure from memory that on the John Parris video of cue making , he even states that is how he makes them . What cue maker did you purchase from ?
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

its mastercraft

Comment

Working...
                  X