Machine Spliced Or Hand Spliced???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Spliced Or Hand Spliced???

What is the difference? personally i cant seen it been any better or worse. please inform me

depends what angle your coming from, so many variants,mass produced,old,new,collectable,quality of wood used etc.

Comment

I'm not sure you can feel any difference when playing with the cues, but personally I prefer the cosmetical look of a hand spliced cue.

Comment

Some would say that better shaft wood is reserved for hand spliced cues, but its not always the case by any means, especially with all the cheaper cues coming in from the east. Virtually all custom made cues are hand spliced, and pretty much all cues over £100 after Parris stopped making them. H&O blueplate is the only one I can think of over £100, and there are Mastercue, craftsman etc in 50-100 range. But there's no reason a machine spliced shouldn't perform as well as a hand spliced

Comment

Originally Posted by Jordson View Post
          What is the difference? personally i cant seen it been any better or worse. please inform me
          You could find out from the Master
          http://www.handmadecues.com/info/52-splicingmethods.htm

Comment

Comment

no difference, in terms of playability. it comes down to quality of the wood. you wont often see Jet Black ebony being used for a machine spliced cue however, nor will you see AAA grade ash or maple being used for that either. they tend to save the best playing pieces of wood, or expensive quality wood for hand made cues, because it is an artform in itself. Thats why hand made cues from good cue makers always outshine machine made cues. However, there are a large number of 'hand spliced' cues on the market using cheap materials. thats all you have to look out for really.

Hand splice does not mean hand made. there is a BIG difference. machines can do 'hand splicing' nowadays. it wont be the same tho. not to say you cant get a good machine made cue. there are plenty out there. just hav to know what you're looking for. =]

Comment

I personally feel that the difference between a handmade and a machined spliced cue is more apparent in a one piece cue. In a handmade cue , the Ash shaft goes all the way to the buttt end of the cue. Whereas, in a machine spliced cue, the ash or maple shaft ends at the splice. The difference is you get more 'feel' when you strike the ball. However, if it is a 3/4 split cue, I do not think the difference is significant. Playability wise, it up to each individuals choice. You know it is right when you pick up the cue and it feels right and well balance to you. As long as it feels right and you can achieve all the shots then it doesn't really matter either way. I agree however, that a handmade cue always looks nicer and 'keeping up with the Jones' thing.
                cuemad

Comment

Originally Posted by gary soo View Post
                  I personally feel that the difference between a handmade and a machined spliced cue is more apparent in a one piece cue. In a handmade cue , the Ash shaft goes all the way to the buttt end of the cue. Whereas, in a machine spliced cue, the ash or maple shaft ends at the splice. The difference is you get more 'feel' when you strike the ball. However, if it is a 3/4 split cue, I do not think the difference is significant. Playability wise, it up to each individuals choice. You know it is right when you pick up the cue and it feels right and well balance to you. As long as it feels right and you can achieve all the shots then it doesn't really matter either way. I agree however, that a handmade cue always looks nicer and 'keeping up with the Jones' thing.
                  yeh, but 3/4 cut cues are more than often, made with seperate butts. meaning the sharf doesnt run all the way down either. having said that, i do love the way 1 piece cues feel. best parris cue ive ever played with is my mates 1 piece ultimate cue. slightly warped (the right way) but the feel you get from hitting with it, is awesome. one of the best cues ive ever played with honestly. god bless that 12 year old parris. -_-

Comment

anyone saying you can't get a good machine spliced cue has never played with mine
                    Best cue I've ever used

But I do agree in general that makers tend to save their best wood for hand spliced cues. But you don't hear many people complain about Mike Wooldridge Sharks though do you.
                    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Most good and reputable cue makers makes good machine made cues. Some of them even better than any other handmade.

Comment

nothing beats a handspliced cue for feel it must have something to do with on a handspliced cue the shaft runs full lenght through the splices. on a machine spliced cue the butt is solid and glued on to the shaft. i am currently useing a peradon edwardian 1 piece (machine spliced cue) while i am waiting for my new robin cook cue to be made i recently sold my 1st cook cue also a 1 piece and since i started playing with the peradon i can tell a big difference i know there a completely different class of cue but the machine spliced cue just dosent have the same feel/touch/feedback of a handspliced cue.

Comment

Who mentioned butterfly spliced!
                          Lets not complicate.

I'd not really thought about the high butt 3/4 having solid butts so being like machine spliced cues. That might be another reason I don't like them. Can't beat a 1 piece!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                            anyone saying you can't get a good machine spliced cue has never played with mine
                            Best cue I've ever used

But I do agree in general that makers tend to save their best wood for hand spliced cues. But you don't hear many people complain about Mike Wooldridge Sharks though do you.

Nice looker RG. I do love a Machine spliced cue too, Dan Shelton have any more like yours? Is he still making cues?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              Nice looker RG. I do love a Machine spliced cue too, Dan Shelton have any more like yours? Is he still making cues?
                              This was an old pearwood machine spliced cue, its probably 50 years old (or more? Don't know but it's a well put together cue). Dan gave it a new ferrule, tapered it to modern taper etc and added the olivewood splice and verneers, butt joint, full works really. It's a great cue now, really is the best I've held.
                              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X