"8 ball" cue tip sizes on English cue sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "8 ball" cue tip sizes on English cue sites

I am surprised that at various on-line English cue stores they recommend (or practically insist) that 8/8.5mm tips are to be used for 8 ball. I don't know how many people from the States we have here, but the idea of using an 8mm tip in pool is extremely odd to me. Go into *any* pool hall in the USA and you will not find a tip smaller than 10 mm on any of the house cues. Also, if you look at the cues that guys bring in, they're at least 10 mm, usually larger.

Why is it that these smaller tips are recommended for pool on English sites? Check the drop-down menus at this site:

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ssic_cues.html

Are you talking about the american game with the 10mm and larger tip sizes?

UK pool uses smaller balls than snooker and so the tip size is smaller to match.
    American pool balls are larger and heavier, and so are larger to match.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Oh, I didn't realize English pool was different. Sorry all! Never mind the American.

Comment

Originally Posted by cox orange pippin View Post
        Oh, I didn't realize English pool was different. Sorry all! Never mind the American.
        it's a big difference too - American pool balls are a whopping 2 1/4" I believe whilst the UK pool white ball is a tiny 1 7/8" (the other balls in a UK set are 2")

Comment

Hmm, i wonder how quick you could snap the shaft of an 8mm cue playin american pool, my guess is the break shot!
          Highest Match Break - 77
          Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
          Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post
            Hmm, i wonder how quick you could snap the shaft of an 8mm cue playin american pool, my guess is the break shot!
            lol my mate took his pool cue (8.4mm) and played american with it! now its bent like a banana haha good thing he didnt need the cue anymore. -_-

Comment

Pity that cue.. Have to take on big balls with small...........
              Haha...

Comment

Working...
              X