What do you think guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think guys?

Since my much cherished Burwat Champion was stolen in August of last year, I have been playing with an old (60 plus years) butterfly spliced ash cue and been tinkering with length, tip size, balance point etc. to try and replicate the feel I had with my trusted Champ.
    On Tuesday I took it to be "doctored" yet again. This time having it made into a 3/4 and increasing my tip size to an 11mm talisman soft. Not entirely sure if I've done the right thing, although I know the work done will be first class as it's at Craftsman with Simon and Dave. Just wondered what anyone thinks and if anybody has noticed a marked difference when changing from 1 piece to 3/4?

i did it once to a 1 piece master cue, prob one of best cues ive owned.
    unfortuantely totally ruined it

dave at craftsman did a great job no less but the feel was gone from the cue i once had. dunno this maybe due to where the joint was who knows.
    so ill never do that again to a cue.

however have heard stories of people and seen people with joints in original one piece cues and it doesnt seem to affect them.

hope your one of the lucky ones mate

Comment

To be honest, no one can really tell you if you've done the right thing it just depends on whether you're judgment was right before having the cue altered. I've done it many times myself, and it can work wonders, or it can be a disaster. For instance, having a good cue tapered down from standard 9.5 tip to say 8.5 can result in your cue coming back looking like a knitting needle. Had this happen a few times and really regretted it..
      Helps of course if you live near cue doctor, cause for me it costs £20 on top of the work done in postage costs.

Comment

Thanks Matty and Mr O. I do have the luxury of living in Leeds and being able to go to Craftsman in person and explain face to face just what I need doing. I hope I have done the right thing and I'm sure when I get it back I will be posing again to update my thoughts. Should be either this weekend or very early next week according to Simon, so as soon as I've had a knock with it I will let you know.

Comment

just to make clear what i meant, sometimes no matter how great the cue is jointed or who under went the work, a cue might not feel the same

as the feel everyone has with a cue is what makes it playable to them.

poor friend of mine was doing very well in the amateur game until his machine spliced craftsman cue broke on the shaft.

since hes tried craftsman parris, h& o, stamford, etc.
          nothing plays like orginal cue and he cannont get used to anything less.

just shows when feeling has gone from a cue its gone forever

Comment

I agree Matty. I doubt very much that I will get the feel I had from my old Burwat ever again in a cue, but, it aint coming back,and I can't afford the approx £250-300 to get another that might very well not be as good a player, so I have to try and get it out of my mind and hope I can get on with my newly doctored one.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
              just shows when feeling has gone from a cue its gone forever
              So true mate.
              Marriages can be like that too.

=o(

Noel

Comment

yeh thats why ive been putting it off for a while now, the misses keeps asking when

Comment

Working...
                X