Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the heaviest a snooker cue should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
    Many years ago in the Joe Davis era, the Canadian professional, Clark Monachie, use to use a cue weighing 22oz.
    :snooker:
    New Zealanders will be after your blood calling their famous son Canadian! In fact McConachy's cue weight went up from a remarkably light 14oz in 1922, to a massive 30oz after the war, although as you say, was at 22oz for a while in the 1930s. He was one of the few professional players to regularly change his cue, and its weight. Not an example to be generally followed I shouldn't think.

Comment

It was 22oz in the late forties.

Comment

Sorry I got his nationality wrong. Old age and knackerdom!

Comment

Personally I prefer a very light cue for practice. The lighter the better - this way I am more in touch with what is going on with my cue action. I think a heavy cue has more of it's own effect, and you are less aware of what you are doing wrong with your arm. The light cue shows every imperfection, and although hard to master - I believe that the lighter cue helps you develop a better cue action.

In a match though, a heavier cue is better, as you have to do a lot to move it off it's path once in motion.

Comment

Can’t agree with using two cues at polar opposites ,use one cue until you need to change to a different one for whatever reason .poor advise there .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
              Can’t agree with using two cues at polar opposites ,use one cue until you need to change to a different one for whatever reason .poor advise there .
              When I say 'personally I prefer' then it's my opinion - it's not advice. Only you are giving advice when you tell people to 'use one cue'.
              I use two, and prefer the heavier cue and play best with it, I adapt to changing cues about as quickly as I adapt to the condition of a table and the speed of the cloth.

Comment

Tell me anyone that uses two different cues for practice and matches ,a cue is a personal part of equipment for snooker , your talking rubbish

Comment

Same kinda person that resurrects a topic from 12 years ago+

Comment

Working...
                  X