My first re-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first re-tip

My main playing cue has developed a strange noise when striking the ball and as I am planning to change it soon I thought I would dig out my old cue from a bout 10 years ago.

I had a few frames with it but it really needed re-tipping so thought I would attack the job myself

Not brilliant but not a bad job either

Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    My main playing cue has developed a strange noise when striking the ball and as I am planning to change it soon I thought I would dig out my old cue from a bout 10 years ago.

I had a few frames with it but it really needed re-tipping so thought I would attack the job myself

Not brilliant but not a bad job either

wat kind of tip is it?
    tha what!

Comment

It needs a little more T.L.C. just to finish the job.
      :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
        Very fine wire wool will do the trick

Comment

Originally Posted by ian046 View Post
          wat kind of tip is it?
          Blue Diamond

Comment

I agree. The pick highlights the flaws in my use of sandpaper

Comment

It looks awful high mucka and you seem to have either used to coarse a sandpaper or have been rubbing in an upwards direction .That tip is going to need an awful lot of knocking in . What size tip did you use and whats the ferrule size .

I find it,s best to cut a feww mm off the bottom of the tip . this was the tip is firm from the very first shot and the tip is ideal shape , thats all it takes then is a slight few rubs of say 300 grit , to make sure the chalk bites well

Comment

Maybe the sandpaper was too coarse.

Never heard of using wire wool on a tip.

Comment

Tip was 10mm and cue is 9mm.

I rubbed the base of the tip before fixing to the cue and sliced off the excess with a surgical blade.

I only had 1 piece of sandpaper and I guess it is a tad on the course side.

Its all a learning curve

Comment

Yes you are right it is a learning curve , adleast youre using the cheapes tips so its not an expensive mistake .

You seem to have taken a chunk out of the tip , unless its an illusion . I.ll try and take a pic of a pro granite i,ve just fitted , that i cut and did,nt need sanding at all , only for chalk to stick .

Comment

Never heard of using wire wool on a tip.

Polishing the ferrule?

Comment

burnish the side with a bit of leather or a £20 note.
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                          Yes you are right it is a learning curve , adleast youre using the cheapes tips so its not an expensive mistake .

You seem to have taken a chunk out of the tip , unless its an illusion . I.ll try and take a pic of a pro granite i,ve just fitted , that i cut and did,nt need sanding at all , only for chalk to stick .
                          I ave a Talisman pro soft ready to fit to my new cue when I find something suitable, so the practice is welcome

Comment

I think we should make this a thread for Pics of tips. or make a thread for that, just like 'post pictures of your cues' thread. so that we can comment, etc, share advice and experiences, etc, and get an idea of what kind of shape people like to use. i think we'd b able to learn from it

Comment

My tip

No idea what tip it is. Got the cue from Mastercraft
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X