No announcement yet.

My first re-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics of a pro granite which i cut a few mm off the bottom .

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...&pictureid=438

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...&pictureid=439

Comment

hotpot, how deep are they when new?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
        hotpot, how deep are they when new?
        They are 5.3 mm mucka

Comment

Here's mine: pro granite, put this one on a couple of weeks back... still not played with it tho LOL... burnished with cardboard round the edges, very fine wire wool on the ferrule... won't be quite there until I have it played it in a bit...

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
            They are 5.3 mm mucka
            I stopped using Blue Diamonds coz I thought they were a bit deep (and coz I couldn't get hold of 9mm ones any more) and went to Elks. 5.3 sounds a lot but I'm not so sure now, lol.
            sigpic

Comment

Fabulous pictures. How do you manage it? Mega pixil camera perhaps? I've only got my mobile camera!!!

Comment

PS CoolBlue At the risk of totally embarrasing myself what does "burnishing" mean? Seen this term used a lot and never knows what it means.

Comment

Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
                  I stopped using Blue Diamonds coz I thought they were a bit deep (and coz I couldn't get hold of 9mm ones any more) and went to Elks. 5.3 sounds a lot but I'm not so sure now, lol.

There arae plenty of 9 mill bd on ebay mucka

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post

There arae plenty of 9 mill bd on ebay mucka
                    I was talking about the days before Ebay, mate
                    I'm quite happy with Elks but could be persuaded to try one or two others now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                      Fabulous pictures. How do you manage it? Mega pixil camera perhaps? I've only got my mobile camera!!!
                      An old Sony camera... 3.2mp - maybe if I upped it to 6mp it might be even clearer? Will have to try that later...

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                      PS CoolBlue At the risk of totally embarrasing myself what does "burnishing" mean? Seen this term used a lot and never knows what it means.
                      Everyone will have their own take on 'burnishing', but for me it's where I would get some cardboard and rub it into the dome of the tip as well as the outside edge... This helps keep the fibres from sticking out and gives the tip a more solid surface, without being hard...

I'm sure someone will have a better way of describing it... :P

Comment

3.2m pixels will do the job, but need to be focused properly and not too close, unless you have a proper macro lens. Do not move lens whilst taking the shot.

Burnishing is a type of polishing, but not with metal polish or wire wool. Do what adr147 says and use a nice new £20 note, or something else that is suitable and sort of see saw it.
                        :snooker:

Comment

Not a bad effort for your 1st time, however, Please dont use such a course sandpaper and have a look at the other threads about tip installation, there is ADR's and Mike's.
                          I hate to see the ferrules getting scratched like this. Use some masking tape when sanding to give the ferrule some protection. That being said, you should not be sanding the sides of the tip, instead cut the sides with a sharp blade(stanley or scalpel) and sand the arc at the top. Lime Andrew says, finish it by burnishing sides(use a bit of leather a bank note or till receipt) it gives a much better and professional finish.
                          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                            3.2m pixels will do the job, but need to be focused properly and not too close, unless you have a proper macro lens. Do not move lens whilst taking the shot.

Burnishing is a type of polishing, but not with metal polish or wire wool. Do what adr147 says and use a nice new £20 note, or something else that is suitable and sort of see saw it.
                            :snooker:
                            Oh man, that's me out then... I shake too much up close LOL

As I've said in two previous posts... the wire wool is used to polish the ferrule ( if anyone feels the need to ). Cardboard can be a good alternative for burnishing ( but in the end it comes down to personal preference, trial & error ).

Comment

Working...
                            X