Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straight grain ash for a cue

Hi all,

I've been thinking about making my own cue as a little hobby project.
    Would anyone recommend a mill to get some cue quality seasoned straight grain ash squares from? I need only a couple of pieces maximum though. Or if a cue maker would be able to sell me a couple of pieces from their stock I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Oliver

If you've never made a snooker cue before you might be better practicing on some cheap pieces first.

Comment

I've got a decent lathe and experience with woodwork so im not completely clueless... don't think ash would be very expensive anyway?

thanks,

o

Comment

Dan27 is right to be honest. Play about first is always a good idea.

Should be able to find plenty of places to get Ash and maple. But you really need to get there and check out the boards for quality.
        sigpic <---New Website
        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

happen to know of any lumber yards in london which by the square? i normally go to timberline for some nice boards but haven't got time at the moment to venture that far out...
          ive had practice with turning and tapering american pool cue shafts in maple. done joints, ferrules.. just need a square or 2 of ash for :snooker:

Comment

Just googled around and found these guys. Might be able to help...

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/LooseBo...mber.aspx?ID=6
            sigpic <---New Website

Comment

thanks - thats very helpful. so its american white ash that is used in the cues not the european ash? that would have been my first mistake...
              is it 1.5" x 1.5" x 45" that is commonly used? do you buy a a board and cut it up to get the best pieces?

Comment

American ash is used more as its more abundant and therefore cheaper. Depends on your application. If your making a 3/4 then that will be fine as you can make a 12" butt to get a standard 57" cue.
                sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Working...
                X