Cuemakers- who's the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuemakers- who's the best?

Having just recently sold my parris professional and cheddar classic case for 450...i am wanting a change to re-ignite my love for the sport...has anyone got any ideas to who is the best cuemaker and to what cue specifically, would be an ideal choice for my money? cheers in advance for any advice and help offered
    Tam

Originally Posted by tammajock View Post
    Having just recently sold my parris professional and cheddar classic case for 450...i am wanting a change to re-ignite my love for the sport...has anyone got any ideas to who is the best cuemaker and to what cue specifically, would be an ideal choice for my money? cheers in advance for any advice and help offered
    There are many many MANY threads on this subject. What you are asking is subjective and really there is no answer. One mans meat, is another mans poison.
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

I have read all threads and appreciate there are many views on whose the best...however having read some of the comments about parris cues and the joints being poor in SOME cases ....i am somewhat confused to the choice and build quality and the comparisons between parris osbourne and woolridge who in reading these threads in the general consensus seem to be the big 3? or am i wrong? and hence the thread
      Tam

Comment

dont b silly. how can u only consider those the top 3, n not consider trevor white. lol not to mention the other handful of cuemakers who can make a great cue.

Comment

I believe Parris Ultimate,Osbourne Black plate,Woolrdige custom made would all be of almost the same quality.You won't be dissapointed with any of the three,but the advantage with Woolridge is that you will recieve your cue in 3-4 months whereas for Parris & Osbourne the wait would be much longer [around 10-12 months].
          My deep screw shot
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

If i bought a cue from Willy Wonker and had a ton break with it first day then i would say he,s the best cuemaker in the world . I,m not being sarcastic mucka but thats how subjective the question is .

First of all i bet there are.,nt many people fortunate enough to have owned or played with a cue by all the top cuemakers , and of the ones who have, their best cue will be their favourite ,and most likely the one that suit them the best , and they play better with , which does,nt necessarily mean it,s the best .

Comment

I have read all threads and appreciate there are many views on whose the best...however having read some of the comments about parris cues and the joints being poor in SOME cases ....i am somewhat confused to the choice and build quality and the comparisons between parris osbourne and woolridge who in reading these threads in the general consensus seem to be the big 3? or am i wrong? and hence the thread
              I've owned and played with Parris , Osborne [twice ] and Trevor White . This is only my findings and obviously no reflection on any of the cuemakers as each cue can be so different .

TW shaft more responsive than both Parris & Osborne . Prefer the finish on both TW & Osborne over Parris . Splice quality all very good but TW just shades it slightly . So as all the other guys have already said , it is down to personal preference .
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I have asked such a question before as well.

So, dont feel bad cos you are not the only one.

I think you need to understand every cue is different even if it comes from the same cue maker.

If you try a cue from a very reputable cue maker and it is not your cup of tea, you may come to the conclusion that he is not really that good.

Chances are you will not go buy three more cues from him just to make sure.

So, when someone says so and so is good or bad, you need to bear in mind that their opinions are most likely formed based on a small sample size.

Not to mention that everyone likes his cues differently. Some like it super stiff, some more lively, some more front balanced...etc. So, in terms of playability it is really very hard to say which one is better for you.

Having said that, some cues are made better and are more suitable for most players than other but it does not mean such a cue is the best for you.

What people can tell you when they try to compare cue makers is the craftsmanship. It is also subjective but at least not as personal as playability.

For example, if a cue has very uneven points then they are uneven to everyone--they would not just appear uneven to a few people.

But in order to really judge craftsmanship one needs to be reasonably knowledgable and some people are just not there yet. So, you should also bear this in mind and take comment from others with a grain of salt.

I have come across cues that look very poorly made to me but the owner did not seem to even notice these flaws.

My suggestion is if you know the spec you want on your new cue, and if you have tried a cue from a certain cue maker that you really like then just order a cue from that cue maker with your spec.

If you are not sure then you can ask and decide based on waiting time, price, customer service, pictures of their work, general review on the Internet...etc. If you can go try out their cues then by all means do so.

Most decent cue makers can make you a decent cue with decent quality. Unless you are looking for something very special, I would say you can get used to most cues from any decent cue maker as long as it is within your spec.

Trevor White, Mike Wooldridge, John Parris, Dave Coutts, Robin Cooks, Dan Sheldon are all located in the Uk and are members on this forum. I am sure if you tell them exactly what you want they are all more than able to build you a very nice cue to your satisfaction.

Some of them are more expensive than others. For 450GBP I am not sure if you can get a top model cue from some of these guys but you can always ask and then decide for yourself what you really want, right?

Good luck with your search.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by View Post
                  I have asked such a question before as well.

So, dont feel bad cos you are not the only one.

I think you need to understand every cue is different even if it comes from the same cue maker.

If you try a cue from a very reputable cue maker and it is not your cup of tea, you may come to the conclusion that he is not really that good.

Chances are you will not go buy three more cues from him just to make sure.

So, when someone says so and so is good or bad, you need to bear in mind that their opinions are most likely formed based on a small sample size.

Not to mention that everyone likes his cues differently. Some like it super stiff, some more lively, some more front balanced...etc. So, in terms of playability it is really very hard to say which one is better for you.

Having said that, some cues are made better and are more suitable for most players than other but it does not mean such a cue is the best for you.

What people can tell you when they try to compare cue makers is the craftsmanship. It is also subjective but at least not as personal as playability.

For example, if a cue has very uneven points then they are uneven to everyone--they would not just appear uneven to a few people.

But in order to really judge craftsmanship one needs to be reasonably knowledgable and some people are just not there yet. So, you should also bear this in mind and take comment from others with a grain of salt.

I have come across cues that look very poorly made to me but the owner did not seem to even notice these flaws.

My suggestion is if you know the spec you want on your new cue, and if you have tried a cue from a certain cue maker that you really like then just order a cue from that cue maker with your spec.

If you are not sure then you can ask and decide based on waiting time, price, customer service, pictures of their work, general review on the Internet...etc. If you can go try out their cues then by all means do so.

Most decent cue makers can make you a decent cue with decent quality. Unless you are looking for something very special, I would say you can get used to most cues from any decent cue maker as long as it is within your spec.

Trevor White, Mike Wooldridge, John Parris, Dave Coutts, Robin Cooks, Dan Sheldon are all located in the Uk and are members on this forum. I am sure if you tell them exactly what you want they are all more than able to build you a very nice cue to your satisfaction.

Some of them are more expensive than others. For 450GBP I am not sure if you can get a top model cue from some of these guys but you can always ask and then decide for yourself what you really want, right?

Good luck with your search.
                  Couldn't have said it better. A cue is a very individualistic thing.

Sometimes 2 cues that may be made from the very same maker and same model with exact specs may feel different and play different. Hence it is best to try out cues before buying. I see many people sell cues made by some of the best cuemakers after just a few frames or days after getting their cues. therefore choosing a good cue does not mean that it neccessarily have to be made by the best cuemaker. Some guys are thrilled to bit by their cheapo cues and would never part with them. By the way poolqjunkie, your work is smashing. Top stuff.

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                    Couldn't have said it better. A cue is a very individualistic thing.
                    By the way poolqjunkie, your work is smashing. Top stuff.
                    I,ll second that

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                      I,ll second that
                      Third'ed

Comment

I find it quite unbelievable some of the comments done to somebody who is effectively asking for help with purchasing a cue as i have quoted myself saying in previous posts...when someone is asking about whip of the cue, front balanced, and all these technical terms then as a snooker tech virgin so to speak it is forums like these that people like myself can tool ourselves up with the knowledge rather than a bunch of school bullies talking as if its something we should know and how dare i should ask such a question. To conclude...i am looking for a combination of craftmanship , help with setting up the cue...how do i know if i suit a 16 oz compared to a 20 oz? try u say..? but how do u do that cause ur down 500 quid before they send the cue hence the thread...come to grips guys..instead of taking the thread like a pinch of salt...use ur expertise and help me set up the cue with ur help as 500 quid is a lot of money to me as it is with a lot of folk but with the names of makers and their popularity...i was meaning something made by one of the more reputable better craftsmen that when and if i was to sell the cue that it would probably get the money back and then some...when people talk about glover, dave coutts, aurora, trevor white even..im sayin...who? Now before u all start ****in urself laughin..that is what im talkin about...pass on the knowledge rather than condemn please?........
                        Tam

Comment

I find it quite unbelievable some of the comments done to somebody who is effectively asking for help with purchasing a cue as i have quoted myself saying in previous posts...when someone is asking about whip of the cue, front balanced, and all these technical terms then as a snooker tech virgin so to speak it is forums like these that people like myself can tool ourselves up with the knowledge rather than a bunch of school bullies talking as if its something we should know and how dare i should ask such a question. To conclude...i am looking for a combination of craftmanship , help with setting up the cue...how do i know if i suit a 16 oz compared to a 20 oz? try u say..? but how do u do that cause ur down 500 quid before they send the cue hence the thread...come to grips guys..instead of taking the thread like a pinch of salt...use ur expertise and help me set up the cue with ur help as 500 quid is a lot of money to me as it is with a lot of folk but with the names of makers and their popularity...i was meaning something made by one of the more reputable better craftsmen that when and if i was to sell the cue that it would probably get the money back and then some...when people talk about glover, dave coutts, aurora, trevor white even..im sayin...who? Now before u all start ****in urself laughin..that is what im talkin about...pass on the knowledge rather than condemn please?........
                          The guys aren't trying to be rude or anything its just this question comes up week after week and must get tiresome. They just wish people would use the search button.

Comment

He didn't ask that though, he asked which cuemaker is the best, which quite simply cannot be answered.

A quick 5 minute look around this forum will show you who are the most popular, then it's upto you to seek out which you would want to make you a cue.

Comment

the problem with the question is this - every single cue regardless of maker is diffeerent. there are about 15 makers who can make a great cue but which is best is totally subjective.
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X