No announcement yet.

Cuemakers- who's the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is there no help to setting up the cue and nobody is willing of giving up who in their opinion is the best cuemakers for the craftmanship and value for money?
    Tam

Comment

tammajock, what people are saying is that nobody can help you to decide what tip size, what butt size, what shaft material, what weight distribution etc will be good for you. Only you can decide what feels right for you.
      With regard to the "best" cue manufacturer, if you ask 20 players face to face which is the best cue makers, you could quite possibly get 20 different answers.
      It's not that people don't want to help you - they can't.
      It really is up to you to find out what suits you by playing with cues until you find one that feels right for you. I know that is difficult when buying mail order. One possibility is that you go to a larger stockist that has a table for tryout purposes (like Craftsman Cues in Leeds, for example). As I don't know where you live I cannot suggest a specific place.
      Good luck.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
        tammajock, what people are saying is that nobody can help you to decide what tip size, what butt size, what shaft material, what weight distribution etc will be good for you. Only you can decide what feels right for you.
        With regard to the "best" cue manufacturer, if you ask 20 players face to face which is the best cue makers, you could quite possibly get 20 different answers.
        It's not that people don't want to help you - they can't.
        It really is up to you to find out what suits you by playing with cues until you find one that feels right for you. I know that is difficult when buying mail order. One possibility is that you go to a larger stockist that has a table for tryout purposes (like Craftsman Cues in Leeds, for example). As I don't know where you live I cannot suggest a specific place.
        Good luck.
        Thank you for your advice...is there any technical reason to why people prefer smaller tip size? does this get more action on the cue ball and the same question for the weight of the cue? does more weight to the front of the cue make any difference? whip on the cue? rigid shaft...robert osbourne was saying the other day that osullivan preferred a "cue with whip" so he got more action on the cue ball...higgins preferred the arrows of the grain to be pointing towards him rather than away...now before i get all the emails sayin that its down to personal preference, is there any way on how a cue to be set up gets either more action on a cue ball....also one final question on the thread...been scouring the website and cant get a hold of the trevor white website...if ordering a custom cue...how do u get a hold of him?
        Tam

Comment

I'm afraid, like the other posters on this subject, I have to agree there is really no way we can advise what cue or cue maker is best ! If there was an undisputed "best" surely the majority if not all of the top players would use their cues. Stephen Hendry used a " Rex Williams" Powerglide cue when he was playing his best snooker, this was a mass produced cue and very cheap by todays standards, it really is what you are comfortable with. I am like yourself, looking for a new cue and not really sure what to go for, as i've been using an old 1 piece cue for the last 25 years, but feel it has seen better days now (probably just me that has seen better days) I have until now always resisted the temptation to change but think I will be trying a change over the summer months.

Comment

Your ****ing against the wind with this ma pal, Only way is to visit your chosen cue maker, Have a shot of what cues he does have, Then decide

Comment

You're welcome.
              As far as I know there is no technical benefit to tip sizes - large or small. Some people can play with a 8mm tip and some can play with 11 or even 12mm tips. It's just what you get used to. There are coaches on this site to confirm or deny my statement that action on the cue ball is almost certainly due to a good cue action and good timing.
              With regard to whip or stiffness of the shaft some players like a whippy shaft. I do not. It's a matter of taste.
              The grain of a shaft is just a personal preference. Some players like as few "arrows" as possible, I personally don't care because I hold the cue so the lines are on the top. Neither affect cue ball response.
              Trevor White does not have a website, but I think he has a Facebook site with details of cues. I'm sure he has an email address but I don't know its details. If you have a look at one of his posts, or at his public profile on this site there will be details. I think his name is Trevs1.
              Good luck in your search.
              Last edited by Quackers; 30 April 2010, 10:14 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

best cue maker for the money is robin cook he will charge around 250 for a plain 1 piece ebony and ash cue made to your specs with base joint the same cue from parris white or wooldridge will cost you quite a bit more. but thats just my opinion.

Comment

£270 from me, so not that much more.

Other 'can' charge a LOT more, while others will charge less.

Comment

cheers trev for the reply....
                    Tam

Comment

I know this might be a stupid question and some details are missing but:
                      How much would a decent cue (cuemasters for example) cost me,
                      about 56" and no fancy looks, something like this:
                      and where can I get one?!

(hopefully no more than 130pounds)

Comment

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
                        about 56" and no fancy looks, something like this:

If you don't want to spend alot and want a plain looking cue like that then have a look at crafstman, mastercraft and mastercue.

If you don't mind spending over £200 then Trevor white has quoted £270 for a plain ebony cue like that (except that looks machine spliced in your pic)

Comment

Originally Posted by Dan27 View Post
                          If you don't want to spend alot and want a plain looking cue like that then have a look at crafstman, mastercraft and mastercue.

If you don't mind spending over £200 then Trevor white has quoted £270 for a plain ebony cue like that (except that looks machine spliced in your pic)
                          unclevit cud do a UT made plain ebony but delivered for bout 150 or 160quid. Handmade wit great shafts

Comment

Question is a matter of taste to many cue makers on here and lots of slightly bias opinions.

Here's mine they can all make a great cue if they put their efforts in correctly and get the right materials.

My pick would be Will Hunt for best maker.

Buying a Trevor White would be a good move though, as his standard of finish is very high, his reputation is growing and his knowledge and friendly approach is refreshing. Also his prices are very reasonable in comparison to other top brands and his cues hold their value very well and should you not be happy with how your chosen cue plays you are not going to be loosing out too much if you sell one.

This being said I hate buying blind and although I had one that got pinched once I have never bought another as yet for one reason.

1. I like to try a cue before I buy and he is now so popular he told me he has a back log and never has any in stock to try.

Comment

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
                              about 56" and no fancy looks,

At this budget craftsman would be a good choice. Craftsmancues are selling their standard range cues in different tips sizes and weight,ready in stock.You can choose a cue with your preferred weight and tip size.

Here is the link:

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ight_away.html

Hope that helps

Regards,
                              sunny
                              My deep screw shot
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
                                At this budget craftsman would be a good choice. Craftsmancues are selling their standard range cues in different tips sizes and weight,ready in stock.You can choose a cue with your preferred weight and tip size.

Here is the link:

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ight_away.html

Hope that helps

Regards,
                                sunny
                                Hey and thanks for your help,
                                I've already checked this site and the "147 cue" @ standard cues
                                looks very nice and it's available at 56" as well,
                                a bit too pricey but I guess it's worth it!

anyone here using this cue? what are your thoughts ?

Comment

Working...
                                X