Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Ferrule

Hi All

I think I have a loose ferrule, how do you get the old ferrule off and then re-attach it?

Or do you have to shorten the cue and fit a new one?

Thanks

i think you can warm the ferrule up and pull it gently using pliers. Then only need to use glue to stick it back on, provided ferrule was not damage. no need to shorten cue as bad as that.

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
      i think you can warm the ferrule up and pull it gently using pliers. Then only need to use glue to stick it back on, provided ferrule was not damage. no need to shorten cue as bad as that.

not a good idea, if the ferrule is screwed on type, this will seriously damage the tenor and will definately need a new ferrule put on and cue shorten, but then, most likely you'll need it shorten and a new ferrule put on anyway, better take it to a cue doctor...

Comment

Comment

Originally Posted by lk8 View Post
          not a good idea, if the ferrule is screwed on type, this will seriously damage the tenor and will definately need a new ferrule put on and cue shorten, but then, most likely you'll need it shorten and a new ferrule put on anyway, better take it to a cue doctor...
          If the ferrule is not threaded and comes loose can you just glue it back ?

Comment

Originally Posted by lk8 View Post
            thanks
            are most ferrules screw type, it's on a peradon & fletcher 20year old cue

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
              If the ferrule is not threaded and comes loose can you just glue it back ?
              its not loose enough to pull it off about 50% of shots played there is a funny sound like a click!!

Comment

i think most cues esp the older ones have screwed on ferrules....

if it's not a screwed on type, and it comes loose, then if should slip off quite easily when you remove the tip...

if you really want to attempt this, get a clamp or vice, protect the ferrule with paper towel or scrap cloth/fabric or plenty of tissues, clamp onto the ferrule and unscrew it off slowly... then you can glue it back on using some impact/shock resistance super glue/contact adhesive

crispian jones: should be a yes unless there's too much damage to the cue ie somehow too much gap/movement/freeplay between the tenor and the ferrule..

Comment

heat the ferrule with a household iron, this will soften the glue that holds it on. be very careful and very patient, you will soon find out if it is a screw on or not by gently twisting it. once you've got it off it should just be a case of cleaning the cue and ferrule and reglueing with araldite. job done.

disclaimer: i did this and it worked, however if you burn yourself or break your cue then dont blame me.
                  http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

crispian jones: should be a yes unless there's too much damage to the cue ie somehow too much gap/movement/freeplay between the tenor and the ferrule.. [/QUOTE]

Cheers mate, mine fell off yesturday as i was retiping it (not threaded) and i taped up the shaft and super glued it back on, so far it is perfect, played 4 hours last night and potting like a dream !

Comment

Thanks all

Went to John Parris to pick up my new cue today and he kindly fix the ferrule and put on the Talisman soft tip I gave him.

Probably best a pro done it anyway.

Comment

Originally Posted by finabb View Post
                        Hi All

I think I have a loose ferrule, how do you get the old ferrule off and then re-attach it?

Or do you have to shorten the cue and fit a new one?

Thanks
                        You can heat it up and remove it, or sometimes it will come off just by you unscrewing it.
                        I suggest you mark it where it fits the best before you glue it on if it is not threaded, so the ferrule wil not overhang on one side.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I refitted mine years ago. I believe it was slightly loose. I just basically twisted it off, checked to see how it fit best (no dowel is perfectly circular) and glued it back on.

I routinely re-tip my own cues but was nervous working with the ferrule. It's never a bad idea having a pro work on your cue if you're uncertain.

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
                            Cheers mate, mine fell off yesturday as i was retiping it (not threaded) and i taped up the shaft and super glued it back on, so far it is perfect, played 4 hours last night and potting like a dream !
                            yeah, if it's not threaded, it will just come off when the tips off...

finabb: good to hear, best to leave to the experts as long as they don't charge you an arm and a leg...

Comment

Working...
                            X