Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Parris Cue, Things to look out for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Parris Cue, Things to look out for?

Hi Guys, a friend of a friend is selling a john parris cue and im going to have a look at it later in the week. is there any buying advise you guys could give me to determine whether its a forgery and condition ect..

thanks for the help in advance guys and great forum!!

Well i suppose as a basic starting point you could print off the pics from the JP site to compare against the cue in your hand https://www.parriscues.com/home.html
    do you know what model he's selling, we could give you ball park figures on the value, or see the cue first and report back the asking price

Comment

well its a jp special with just an ebony butt so theres not any pics on jp's website unfortunately.

Ive heard something about theres a red tinge to the glue jp uses and it can be seen above the splices, is that true?

Comment

Originally Posted by jammidodger View Post
        well its a jp special with just an ebony butt so theres not any pics on jp's website unfortunately.

Ive heard something about theres a red tinge to the glue jp uses and it can be seen above the splices, is that true?
        Well that was true of his older cues, not so sure about the recent ones, sure i heard he changed the glue. Problem is tho i also have a Welshpool Trading cue with the same red tinge glue, so maybe cannot be relied upon ? Welshpool on the left, 15 year old JP classic on the right, red tinge may not show up on my camera but def there !

Comment

Remember his name is John parris!!! Not John Paris .

Comment

yeah i can see it mate, thanks for the help!!

do you know if there are any characteristics i can use at all which are specific to jp? I only live down the road from his shop so was thinking about getting him to have a look over it before i purchase. do you think jp would be ok with that or is it a bit cheeky?

Comment

I think JP would do that for you and would be the perfect way to determine validity

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                I think JP would do that for you and would be the perfect way to determine validity
                great stuff, thanks for you help mate. Ill post a few pics if and when i purchase

Comment

You could also look closely at the font to see if it "looks" right - thanks to Noel for helping out sorting out photobucket account - cheers mate edit: hmm looks like i need to clean out the badge, i like to wax my butts
                  Last edited by jrc750; 24 May 2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Funny you say that jrc cause I used to think the font gave it away until I bought a paragon direct from them, and the lettering was just like the ones I had seen and thought were fakes, this was about 2 or 3 years ago. i.e different lettering, slightly larger and more bold, badge a shade whiter.
                    But I think you're right in that the badge is one of the first things you should examine. I've seen plenty of what I've believed to be fakes with a much whiter badge thean the off-white one parris uses

Comment

Things which you can compare;

Badge

Joint

Hope it helps.

Comment

right,

so i went see the cue last night and imo is definitely real. i had a quick knock about with it and its really nice (got a 56 with my first go).I brought it but theres a problem....

Its 62" long.. WAAAAYYY too long for me as im only 5ft 9".

the weight is really nice, I would say perfect for me. So im now in a dilemma. I can either sell it on as i will definitely get more than what i paid or take it down to jp and get him to chop 5" off it..

What would you think the best thing to do is?

Comment

so heres a little pic.

Comment

right,..... im now in a dilemma. I can either sell it on as i will definitely get more than what i paid or take it down to jp and get him to chop 5" off it..

so heres a little pic....
                            Firstly that was quite a big pic
                            May be best to speak to JP about it, because simply chopping 5" off it will mean having to re-taper it (i guess) and balance will be affected, so may suddenly feel all weird (might not like )
                            I guess you got it cheap ??

Comment

its 62" long.. Waaaayyy too long for me as im only 5ft 9".

The weight is really nice, i would say perfect for me. So im now in a dilemma. I can either sell it on as i will definitely get more than what i paid or take it down to jp and get him to chop 5" off it..

sell it off !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X