John Parris Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Parris Champion

Bought a 2nd hand one today, Pretty good nick with a bit of a beat up Peradon case.Paid £225 for it, not sure if thats too much. I have a slight concern though and I wish I had noticed before I handed any cash over. The brass joints are perfect on the shaft and line up with the one on the butt... but there is a slight lip over the brass joint on the butt.

It was the boss of the snooker club I go to that noticed but he thought that it was the shaft at first until I looked closer. Not sure how this could of happened, a repair job maybe? theres no way john parris would sell a cue like this.

Also, the joints seem to squeek as I fasten and don't seem smooth, could just be dirty and need a bit of lube or maybe its something to do with a possible past repair.

I bought it on a whim thinking it would make me happy but now i'm paranoid I just blew money on rubbish

But other than that I cued really nicely tonight and overall happy with how it plays wich I'm glad.

:snooker:

swap for my gbl champion lol that wil take your paranoya away! ha

Comment

lol, and hand the paranoia over to you?

Comment

lol yhh then i can give my mum a migrane because i want it fixed now and your paying ha goodtimes!

Comment

Originally Posted by pdwhelan View Post
          ....Also, the joints seem to squeek as I fasten and don't seem smooth, could just be dirty and need a bit of lube or maybe its something to do with a possible past repair. ..
          Very small amount of WD40 on a cloth will sort that no problem (or 3 in 1 oil)

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Very small amount of WD40 on a cloth will sort that no problem (or 3 in 1 oil)
            Haven't used any spray but I used a small brush in between the threads and thats sorted it. Going to give it a rub with some WD40 aswell.

Comment

Just a wee bit of oil will do the job....

Hope the cue will serve you fine.

Comment

I find using a bit of wire wool on the thread works a treat

Comment

Does anyone have any idea what I can have done about the lip over the joint on the butt. I don't understand how it is like this to be honest. John Parris wouldn't of sold it like that.

Comment

Maybe you can snap a pics of the problem so that it can be easily visualised instead of imagination.

Comment

Bought a 2nd hand one today, Pretty good nick with a bit of a beat up Peradon case.Paid £225 for it, not sure if thats too much. I have a slight concern though and I wish I had noticed before I handed any cash over. The brass joints are perfect on the shaft and line up with the one on the butt... but there is a slight lip over the brass joint on the butt.

It was the boss of the snooker club I go to that noticed but he thought that it was the shaft at first until I looked closer. Not sure how this could of happened, a repair job maybe? theres no way john parris would sell a cue like this.

Also, the joints seem to squeek as I fasten and don't seem smooth, could just be dirty and need a bit of lube or maybe its something to do with a possible past repair.

I bought it on a whim thinking it would make me happy but now i'm paranoid I just blew money on rubbish

But other than that I cued really nicely tonight and overall happy with how it plays wich I'm glad.

The problem you describe as a slight lip is probably just a bit of shrinkage........ what happens is where you've got wood & metal there can be movement expansion or shrinkage & any moisture left in the timber when the cues made can come out later on & causing the wood to shrink a little hence a slight lip when you feel the joint, almost like the joint is slightly bigger.

Changes in temperature, climate or exposure to heat over a period of time can also cause it.

Nothing to worry about though long as joint is held firmly in place with no movement it will be fine.

Other than that it can be sanded down a little & made flush again, any cue maker would sort that for you, or even yourself if you felt confident as long as sanding was done nice & even all the way round & very fine at the last stage.
                      Last edited by CueAntW147; 28 May 2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks CueAnt, thats made me feel a lot better about the cue. It doesn't bother me while playing unless I have buttons on my shirt as it seems to clip them. I have just rubbed it down my self and its a mile better now. The wood just needs a polish and should be like new again. Thanks again

willytan i'm affraid I don't have a good enough camera to get such close ups, I did think about it though.

Need a few other jobs doing to the cue now, S.D joint, resize with new refule from 9.5mm to 9mm. Can anyone recommend who I send it to for the work? I already know MW's prices, and although he probably is one of the best if not THE best I can't afford him at the moment (Girlfriend would go insane)

Comment

Thanks CueAnt, thats made me feel a lot better about the cue. It doesn't bother me while playing unless I have buttons on my shirt as it seems to clip them. I have just rubbed it down my self and its a mile better now. The wood just needs a polish and should be like new again. Thanks again

willytan i'm affraid I don't have a good enough camera to get such close ups, I did think about it though.

Need a few other jobs doing to the cue now, S.D joint, resize with new refule from 9.5mm to 9mm. Can anyone recommend who I send it to for the work? I already know MW's prices, and although he probably is one of the best if not THE best I can't afford him at the moment (Girlfriend would go insane)
                          No probs mate, polish it with linseed oil which should do the trick & blend nicely with existing finish no harm in doing the whole cue if you wanted to then polish the butt with some beeswax should you feel the need to job done as good as new.

As for other work not sure where your based & if you have anyone local but any of the cuemakers could do this for you no probs, Mastercraft & Craftsman offer good value for money as does Tony Glover on repairs alterations etc & all will do a nice job.
                          Last edited by CueAntW147; 28 May 2010, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X