Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to dismantle an over tightened joint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to dismantle an over tightened joint?

Hi, my brother bought a second hand 3/4 cue when it arrived the cue was jointed together. We tried to unscrew the joint and it seemed impossible to dismantle, even with 2 persons gripping at each end of cue.

any suggestions we can try before this 3/4 cue becomes a 1-piece cue?

Many thanks

Iv'e heard of people glueing the joints shut after having problems with the joint, before you open a can of worms, maybe you could contact the seller to see if indeed it was glued shut or just your not strong enough

Comment

i find if there is two of you sometimes if one grips and tries to undo and the other gives the joint a little tap with a hammer
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

use a bit of D-40 spray might help?

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
          Hi, my brother bought a second hand 3/4 cue when it arrived the cue was jointed together. We tried to unscrew the joint and it seemed impossible to dismantle, even with 2 persons gripping at each end of cue.

any suggestions we can try before this 3/4 cue becomes a 1-piece cue?

Many thanks

Applying a little bit of heat normally does the contracts the brass, doing this without damaging the cue might be difficult.
          If the threads have crossed slighty (which is common) you will have to saw it off! Then get somebody to fit you a more reliable joint.

Comment

Before applying heat i would try Andrews suggestion of trying to unscrew and giving a little tap with hammer. Failing that, try a soldering iron. Put it right on the joint at the point where both brass parts meet and try unscrewing. Beware though as this might cause the joint to become loose at the wooden end.
            "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Hi im Reg From Wright Cues
              If all these ideas dont work give me a call i can fit a new joint for you
              07967 133737
              "Wright Cues"
              Cues made to your specification, giving you the confidence in your cue
              http://www.wrightcues.co.uk
              reg@wrightcues.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by Wright Cues View Post
                Hi im Reg From Wright Cues
                If all these ideas dont work give me a call i can fit a new joint for you
                07967 133737

The idea of using heat is not a good one. Depending on the amount of heat used it will cause the epoxy glues joining the joint to the wood to degrade thereby weakening the glue contact with the wood. Best idea would be to get a new joint fitted if the old one is stuffed or locked up like in your case.

Comment

As already mentioned I would try a little WD-40 left overnight. Followed by a hit with a hammer (same principal works on bicycle stems that have become stuck!) before/whilst applying unscrewing force.

Failing that heat can be used, but carefully to avoid debonding the glue. Might be worth trying it conjunction with cold (ice wrap?) to contract the metal slightly first perhaps.

Comment

just a theory while I am off work with flu , but is it possible to fit two jubilee clips to the cue making sure they are also on each side of the brass joint , tigten up and then tap each jubilee clip away from each other ? or put two mole grips on the jubilee clips and unscrew with these ?

Never done this just a thought and jubilee clips are low cost things .

WD 40 will stain the wood if it gets under the finnish and could if left on get on youre hands when playing and stain the cloth , I find useing candle wax on these joints before threading them together helps in the unlocking and locking of the joint .

I use candle wax to lubricate slate bolts that the cushions are bolted onto tables with , Iv'e seen many table owners spray wd 40 into the slate bolt hole , only to find that the cloth will beconme stained around each bolt fixing , once that wd 40 or any oil is in slate it is hard to remove .
                    Last edited by Geoff Large; 4 June 2010, 10:32 AM.
                    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

You could try using a lid remover. this is a plastic handle with a length of rubber attached,much the same as an oil filter remover, but used for removing stiff lids from bottles and jars.because its rubber it shouldn't mark the cue. I got one from e-bay last month cost me less than a fiver.

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
                        You could try using a lid remover. this is a plastic handle with a length of rubber attached,much the same as an oil filter remover, but used for removing stiff lids from bottles and jars.because its rubber it shouldn't mark the cue. I got one from e-bay last month cost me less than a fiver.
                        I still think it must have been glued shut but this sounds like a less destructive method

Comment

as below (duplictae post )
                          Last edited by Geoff Large; 4 June 2010, 12:14 PM. Reason: duplicte post

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
                            yes certainley less damage to wood if these are used , try ebay item 2304719244233 , only £1 each so worth a punt .
                            remember if you get it to open wax those threads .

as for glued shut , its possible , but over tightened brass thread have a tendancy to lock together . as the threads barb up as the brass is stretched and lock into eachother .

Comment

Surely heat causes things to expand.....not contract.....

Comment

Working...
                              X