Spec for a custom cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec for a custom cue?

How do you know what is your , the customers, ideal spec? Spoke in great length with Robert Osbourne and he said that John Higgins wanted a ton of his own spec done to a cue he had made for him and in the end was quite embarrased to put his name to the cue as he felt it didnt enhance his reputation. Point Im tryin to make is how and when does a rack cue become a custom one? and can users of the forum post their own custom spec and possibly photos and the reasons to why , meaning certain dimensions, they required that spec.? Maybe it generated more whip for example? Maybe with regards to the arrows in the grain, was it just for show?
    Are there any other different spec to which you can ask for and why? It is just my understanding or am I wrong in saying , that the likes of black plates, ultimates and the top spec cues are made to the spec of the original buyer of that cue so why does it generate more money for resale as surely that cue ticks the boxes of the original buyer and not for the new second-hand owner? I understand the fact that the top-spec cues have more time taken to build and finish the cue although, again it is for the original buyer?
    Tam

Mate,
    All the questions that you have just asked has & have been previously answered in different threads.
    Do take some time & effort to scan thru the older threads rather than take the shortcut for members here to baby feed you.

Anyway, a player's cue custom preference is very personal just like ur character n your choice of fashion.

Comment

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
      Mate,
      All the questions that you have just asked has & have been previously answered in different threads.
      Do take some time & effort to scan thru the older threads rather than take the shortcut for members here to baby feed you.

Anyway, a player's cue custom preference is very personal just like ur character n your choice of fashion.
      Cheers willy for that constuctive reply, understanding is all im after willy, who taught you before you came this all-knowing guy in charge of the forum? forums are choice and for everybody i thought ?, and they wonder why the sport is no longer popular?, you guys whether you like it or not have a duty to pass on the knowledge as its us baby fed folk that are tomorrows customers!!
      Tam

Comment

Yes, we should all share our knowledge and expriences that we have in some ways gain by ourself or from certain sharings.
        In order to understand what others are talking about, we need to exprience it ourself firsthand.
        Like I have said, members here have pen their personal expriences in the past thread for all to learn n share. So for the future snookies wannabe, why dun u spend some extra time to read thru relavent threads before posting your queries.

Comment

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
          Yes, we should all share our knowledge and expriences that we have in some ways gain by ourself or from certain sharings.
          In order to understand what others are talking about, we need to exprience it ourself firsthand.
          Like I have said, members here have pen their personal expriences in the past thread for all to learn n share. So for the future snookies wannabe, why dun u spend some extra time to read thru relavent threads before posting your queries.
          Thanks willy, but that is my point mate, if you indeed want to spend a few quid in getting a top spec cue, you dont know what you are getting until its delivered to your door...but i will plough the threads and hopefully get the info i am looking for
          Tam

Comment

You may want to go to a cue maker and try out different lengths of cue , tip sizes and whether or not you want a flat or a round butt .
            Always good to look and try other peoples cues as well to give you the feel that you are after . The chevrons are just a personal thing , i believe . Some people want only a few on the shaft other like more .
            I've found over the years in the cues i've owned that the whip on the cue is different with each cue maker . For example i can generate more cue ball movement with my TW cue than i could with my Osborne cue , when i have a fairly straightish shot .
            With regard to the re-sale of the cues when they are of a top spec , generally people know what they want and can therefore choose a good quality second hand cue nearly made to their exact spec .
            Also you may want to look at the dimensions of the butt as to which suits you . i.e 28mm or 30mm diameter . If you live near Robert Osborne , i'm sure that he will let you try different cues that he has in manufacture for feel , weight etc .
            Look on the thread on this forum ' post pictures of your cue ' . Shows every cue imaginable ,along with numerous different specs .
            Are you looking to purchase a new cue ? If so , any idea what you are looking for yet ?
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Hi Tammajock
              If distance is not a problem for you, why dont you go to a cue supplier who stocks a good range of handmade cues like Craftsmans Cues in Kippax,Leeds, who has a snooker table on the premises and loads of cues with different weights and lengths for you to try before you buy or even order one made to measure for you at very reasonable prices. When I first started playing the game, I went through the same thought process as you. You should pick a cue which feels right in your hand ie, the weight, the balance and the 'feel'. It is a unique feeling that only you will know,as everyone is different. Remember, no matter what people say, it is you that is playing the shot.
              cuemad

Comment

Nice to know there are other considerate members on the site.
                cuemad

Comment

Tammajock "Try before you buy" is clearly the best way to go if you can find a good cue retailer within easy travelling distance. Post your location and forum members may be able to guide you to somebody close.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                    Tammajock "Try before you buy" is clearly the best way to go if you can find a good cue retailer within easy travelling distance. Post your location and forum members may be able to guide you to somebody close.
                    Yep this is the best advice, especially so for players looking to improve their game. Only players of a very good standard will really need and know the type of spec that suits them best and usually its those who will be more exacting of their cue spec requirements than say the guy who only plays a few times a month.

So to sum it up, go somewhere that you can try out cues and hopefully find one that you feel comfortable with. Then its down to you practicing with it and getting used to it. If ever you need a new cue in the future you can then take those specs to whichever cue maker and hopefully they can re-create the cue to suit you.

Comment

Many thanks guys in your constructive replies, i am currently living in scotland so there are no cuemakers around me however i was thinking of going down to either parris or osbourne in october. Phoned parris the other day and he was sayin that he had a few of his rack cues available but when does a rack cue become a spec cue? have a mate that has a ultimate that gave parris dimensions every three inches down the shaft, now how and when do i know what is the right spec for me? tryin these cues are difficult in itself as these guys are always busy and time is at a premium.
                      Tam

Comment

Originally Posted by tammajock View Post
                        .... but when does a rack cue become a spec cue? ...... now how and when do i know what is the right spec for me?....
                        If the rack cues from Parris are the right length, weight & tip size for you then its "your spec cue"
                        The only way to determine what is the right spec for you, is by trying as many cues as you can until you feel happy with one, then measure it up and away you go - its all a bit trial and error. But at the end of the day you could get used to any cue given long enough, as long as the specs are not something weird !

Comment

Try loads of cues is the only answer. Also if you can't play don't spend a fortune on a custom cue because as you improve and your touch and feel improve it is likely that "your" specs will change.

To be fair willytan is also correct, the forum library is there for a reason and whilst we are all interested to read new and informative posts seeing the same stuff rehashed over and over when there is a good search facility is pointless.

Also people who have previously submitted a good post on a given topic may be unwilling to repeat it so you may be costing yourself valuable information by not trawling.

Comment

cheers guys for the help and advice, points taken
                            Tam

Comment

jb134 Good post mate.
                              tammajock If you've got loads of dosh and want to treat yourself then nothing wrong with buying a Parris. Won't improve your game tho! It's an expensive way to find out what spec you like. Any chance of trying out some of your local club members cues? Might help firm up on tip size/type, weight length.

Comment

Working...
                              X