No announcement yet.

Spec for a custom cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to recall that a member on here spent about 4 hours at Parris cues until he chose a cue he liked .
    I'm sure a good quality rack cue would be what you are after . Do you really want to be paying £500 + for a spec cue . The cost is alot to do with the design of the splices as well . Depends on what design you want , as obviously adds to the cost of the cue .
    At lot of the guys pay more for the look [ me included ! ] as well as the chevrons on the shaft of the cue . Good luck and don't forget to post pics when you finally find the Holy Grail ! I'm still looking after 20 years..........only kidding .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Craftsman at Kippax has a snooker and pool table on site and a range of cues from American through English/Snooker to vintage (the staff are very "customer friendly" as well).Chesworths at Sheffield also has a table and a good range of cues.Both outlets also manufacture custom and are happy to discuss your requirements.

Comment

as said on previous posts though, is the dimensions of the cue altering the way on how you would play a shot? e.g stiffness of the shaft ( whip ) or is the different dimensions just purely down to your own personal spec? and when does a rack cue come under the banner of a custom spec cue?
        Tam

Comment

A custom spec cue is "the cue for you" or an attempt at finding it. You may find a rack cue that is such a cue in which case, it is "to your spec" although, obviously not custom made.

For example, I play with a 28mm butt so will almost never find a rack cue that suits but then I use anything over 57" and with a tip of 9-9.5mm preferrably maple.

If I take a racker with a particularly nice maple shaft and whizz it through the lathe to 28mm is it then custom made?

What you need to do is find your specs, once you do that you may be lucky enough that you have found your cue from a rack, if so bingo. If not, at least you know what to get made.

I got one made as a present for me a while ago and I can't get on with it despite it being perfect to the dimensions I like.

So beware

In time you will see good players trying to play shots that are almost impossible with the cues they are using, you will see good cues trying to play shots that are impossible with the players they are using and everything in between.

Comment

I don't know my own specs yet but am getting there.... 1 used to play with a 16.5oz cue and thought it was way to light, then i went to 18oz and.... to heavy. So now im looking at maby 17-17.5. Also i've come to realize that anything over 9.5mm tip is to big for me. So my next cue will be 8-9mm tip. It just takes time and patience and like everyone here is saying just try as many cues as you can...

Willy, If everyone took the time to re-read through past threads instead of posting new ones, do you think we would come to a point where there were no new threads, Just people re-reading the old ones Sometimes old threads are just that.... OLD. People's opinions may have changed since their last post so it's good to hear peoples opinions again, even if they have already answered a question or two on the subject.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post

In time you will see good players trying to play shots that are almost impossible with the cues they are using, you will see good cues trying to play shots that are impossible with the players they are using and everything in between.
              My favourite post in some time - lol!!

Comment

Originally Posted by TheRowdyOne View Post
                Willy, If everyone took the time to re-read through past threads instead of posting new ones, do you think we would come to a point where there were no new threads, Just people re-reading the old ones Sometimes old threads are just that.... OLD. People's opinions may have changed since their last post so it's good to hear peoples opinions again, even if they have already answered a question or two on the subject.
                Thks, i will take note of that.

Comment

Originally Posted by tammajock View Post
                  as said on previous posts though, is the dimensions of the cue altering the way on how you would play a shot? e.g stiffness of the shaft ( whip ) or is the different dimensions just purely down to your own personal spec? and when does a rack cue come under the banner of a custom spec cue?
                  Rack cue is usually make to the common spec ie 57-58", 9.5mm tip, 17.5-18.5oz & 29.5 -30.5mm butt.

But if you spec is anything out of this range then i will need to go under the banner of customizing.

As for me, i play comfortable with a custom made 1pcs 57", 9.6mm, 18oz & 28.5mm mid-stiff maple cue from UT (Thailand) becos i played well with a old JP classic of the same spec. Frankly, i will prefer a ash shaft with a blank under belly but the search have been fruitless thus experience with a maple shaft for its mid-stiff whippyness.

Comment

Working...
                  X