Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Butt Maintenance

Hi,

Any Ideas, about cue butt maintenance, the butt looks very dirty, even after cleaning it with damp cloth, and they're some parts which still shiny, how to make looks all clean and shiny like new,

should i use oil on it or any other susbtance?

Thanks in Advance,
    Highest Break : 53
    Current Playing Cue : Aurora Custom Cue 1pc (56.5", 18oz, 9.5mm tip, 29mm butt)
    Spare : Aurora Custom Cue 1pc (17.8oz, 9.6mm tip, 30mm butt, 17" balance point.)
    Retired : John Parris Traditional 1pc (sold), John Parris Elite Cue (sold), Cue Craft Royal (sold), Cue Craft Baron (sold).

Originally Posted by hanchi View Post
    Hi, Any Ideas, about cue butt maintenance, the butt looks very dirty, even after cleaning it with damp cloth, and they're some parts which still shiny, how to make looks all clean and shiny like new,

should i use oil on it or any other susbtance?

Thanks in Advance,
    Here are the tips from John Parris' website:

"Day to Day Cue Maintenance

Always keep your cue in a good quality case (ideally a rigid box type), when not in use do not leave the cue leaning in a corner. Do not store cue and case near to a heat source (near a radiator or direct sunlight).
    Do not leave cue in a car boot as it is hot during the day and cold and damp at night, rapid temperature and humidity changes are bad for the cue.

During play, if the cue becomes sticky, wipe it down with a slightly damp cloth and buff dry immediately. Never sandpaper the cue, this removes the protective sealer on the shaft leaving bare wood and also gradually wears away the cue shaft.

Occasionally, (3-6 months depending on the amount you play) treat the cue with raw linsead oil. Wipe cue down with a damp cloth and dry. (If cue is very dirty, mild detergent can be used) do not use to much water or this can cause the cue to swell. Apply oil onto cue with a cloth or paper towel, leave overnight to soak in, buff cue with a clean cloth until smooth and dry and no residue is visible on clean cloth. Then wipe with damp cloth and dry and buff.

If cue is jointed, occasionally clean brass faces of joint with very fine wire wool (00-00 grade). Dirt or grease on the faces of joint can effect the contact when striking cue ball."

Ensure it is RAW linseed oil you use. Even though using too much oil will not damage the cue, you can get a sticky result, that can take some time to buff out.
    Sometime ago I noticed a dry patch on my cue and I over zealously applied raw linseed oil, too much too often, and got a very sticky cue as a result :-(
    I followed the above instructions and over a period of a year, applying oil every 3 months, I got the silky finish back and noticed that the dry patch had gone as well :-)
    All the best
    DeanH
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi Hanchi, just noticed that I replied to your previous posting about linseed oil :-)
      Anyway, hopefully the information you get from this forum helps you.
      All the best
      DeanH
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
      X