Chunk missing in butt. Wood filler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chunk missing in butt. Wood filler?

I recently purchased a welsh dragon cue from my good friend craig lakin for £80. It is in excellent condition and is straight except for one thing. Under the badge there is a chunk of the front splice missing . it is about 5mm deep, 2cm wide and 2 long. It needs fixing but I hope to achieve a fairly discreet finish which matches the surrounding ebony. How can I achieve this? Some expert input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Take the cue to a decent cuemaker for resplicing, not problem at all.

Comment

I dont have that sort of money mate.

Comment

Then leave it as it is and wait until you CAN afford it. Will save you from spoiling the cue.
        :snooker:

Comment

There is an epoxy resin you can buy that dries as hard as wood and it is available in black but it is not the easiest thing to do.
          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

you using it for pool or snooker? from memory that thing has something like a 7-8mm tip

Comment

Pool and snooker, though the tip is 8.5mm, i like playing snooker with small tips.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
                There is an epoxy resin you can buy that dries as hard as wood and it is available in black but it is not the easiest thing to do.
                Cheers mate. Where do I get this epoxy resin then? B&Q?

Comment

Originally Posted by chrisgairjunior View Post
                  Cheers mate. Where do I get this epoxy resin then? B&Q?
                  Actually, you can mix some epoxy with ebony powder and that should work although I have never tried it this way.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                    Actually, you can mix some epoxy with ebony powder and that should work although I have never tried it this way.
                    Is this Milliput black the stuff? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Milliput-Black...f#ht_872wt_911

Comment

you need some araldite epoxy 2 pack, some ebony "sawdust", mix the 2 pack and add in the ebony sawdust until it is the same colour as the ebony, slap it into the gouge in the butt. When it has hardened file it down and sand it down.
                      I've done it myself and you'd need to inspect carefully to know it had been done.

If it's the Craig Lakin I know, I think he got it from Tessa Sanderson!!!!!!

Comment

Does the epoxy appear a bit shinny at the edges after it is dried?
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Not when I did it, as I said, make the epoxy with the ebony filings until it looks like ebony putty.
                          Works great, used it a few times, you won't be disappointed, you know its there and will only just notice it, if you look hard. Someone else would not see it at all.
                          Once drilled though the side of one of my cues, came out through the ebony splicing, like an idiot, used the method above and you wouldn't notice it. Even I can only just see it if I look hard for it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sneaky-Pete View Post
                            you need some araldite epoxy 2 pack, some ebony "sawdust", mix the 2 pack and add in the ebony sawdust until it is the same colour as the ebony, slap it into the gouge in the butt. When it has hardened file it down and sand it down.
                            I've done it myself and you'd need to inspect carefully to know it had been done.

If it's the Craig Lakin I know, I think he got it from Tessa Sanderson!!!!!!
                            Thanks for the advice mate. Yeah its the Craig Lakin of Derbyshire. He said he got it from a sponsorship and just didn't get on with the cue. I'm guessing he got angry at it haha. I went to B&Q today and couldnt find this Araldite epoxy. Only araldite adhesive. Will evo stik and ebony filings work? or should I just give that milliput a blast?

Comment

Try Wilkos, they have it, Evostick is no good, must be araldite epoxy.

Yea, Lakin "Demon Potter of Derbyshire"

I read about him on another forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X