Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Tip deformation and tearing after one miscue

/..............
    Last edited by DeeZiZ; 18 April 2011, 10:59 AM.

yeh. theyre crap. lol try pro granite. i made the switch n im not goin bak :P

Comment

Try pre-compress the tips before fit, they will deform almost none.. and the feel remains the same.

I tryed almost all tips brands, my conclusion was that the compressed master is the best. You can leave it under your car for a night, use a small metal plate above the tip: floor/tip/plate/car.
      :snooker:

Comment

You may want to try microwave it for about 30 sec and/or clamp it on a vise. That should press it.
        Before you install your Elk, perhaps try to press the tip with your finger nail to pick one with a good firmness. You dont want one that is rock hard but either do you want one which would mud slide after a couple shots.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

/..............
          Last edited by DeeZiZ; 18 April 2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeeZiZ View Post
            Alright, thanks for the info guys.
            So if I got this right, I basically got to just press something on top of the tip
            for a good period of time, so that it won't deform then.

But are you sure that it won't just make the tip harder and give me a different feel?
            Compressing the tip will make it firmer yes, but only if it's a fairly decent tip in the first place. The softest of the Elk's won't really get any better even if you compress them, as the leather in them is just too soft and loose in the fibres.

The best way to check Elkmasters is to hold them in both hands and try to pull them apart with your thumb nails. The ones you cannot even get your nails into are going to be pretty firm, and compressing those will make for very very hard tips. The next down from there will be the ones whereby you can get your nails into them, and maybe can see a little bit of movement in the fibres. These are much more likely to be a good tip, and, with varying amounts of compression or knocking in when fitting them, can provide tips which are medium, hard, or even very hard. These tips are also firm enough to shape easily, without having them tear to pieces on cutting down, and also, will generally hold their shape well over time and during play.

The above is a brief description of what I look for in Elks myself when fitting them to anyone's cues, unless I'm asked to provide a certain type of feel to the cue via the tip. It can and does get more complicated than what I've just written, but as a rule, follow that and you won't go too far wrong with Elkmasters.

I've tried all sorts of tips over the years, and to be truthful, a tip is a tip is a tip.

There are other variables to take into account also, as each and every cue has it's own unique contact sound, so, some cues might feel harder and more "woody" than the next cue, even when they have exactly the same brand and hardness of tip on them.

At the end of all the debate, as with anything else, you pay your money and take your choice.
            Last edited by trevs1; 9 August 2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

/..............
              Last edited by DeeZiZ; 18 April 2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Sorry but the Elks are the most inconsistent tip on the planet, try one of the many layered tips mentioned on here and you won't go back.
                For starters
                Moori
                Kamui
                Tiger
                Talisman
                Molavia

Comment

I,m with slasher on this one , it may just be that layered tips suit my game better , but i definitely wont go back to a pressed . Whats the best one you found slasher ? i,d like to try one of those tiger tips , i,ve heard good things about them .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                    I,m with slasher on this one , it may just be that layered tips suit my game better , but i definitely wont go back to a pressed . Whats the best one you found slasher ? i,d like to try one of those tiger tips , i,ve heard good things about them .
                    I like the Tiger soft for snooker or the Moori, I can hit the big draw shot with these. Problem I have with all the layered tips is they are made mainly for pool and are mostly a little too hard imo.
                    I am going to try a Blackjack (made in Japan) as they are rated a little softer than the Tiger.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                      Hotpot, the guy in your avatar won all his major ranking titles (barring the recent one overseas) using Elkmasters. I know that because it was me that stuck them onto his old broom handle of a cue.

I don't see Mark much at all now, but from what I gather, he uses Talisman these days, but isn't winning as much with them.

That doesn't mean elkmasters are better or worse, it means tips are a matter of preference, and as I said, the exact same type of tip can feel great on one cue and shocking on another.

I get people asking regularly what type of tip is on the new cues they receive from me, only to hear how shocked they are when I tell them it was an Elkmaster.

The usual question then follows......"why can't I find them like that?"

Comment

I,ve nothing against elks at all Trev i used one for years and they are a good tip .

Yes it is down to personal preference and i find that a laminated tip suits my game better , and are much more consistent .

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
                          Sorry but the Elks are the most inconsistent tip on the planet, try one of the many layered tips mentioned on here and you won't go back.
                          For starters
                          Moori
                          Kamui
                          Tiger
                          Talisman
                          Molavia
                          Yes, they are inconsistent, but that in itself doesn't make them bad, because various players tend to like various hardness of tip. So, in some ways, elks can allow a choice between softer or firmer.

I wouldn't disagree that at times you can get a very bad box though, and it can be a bit frustrating then. Still, when you look how cost effective they are compared to many many other so called "superior" brands of tip, they still work out cheaper even if you have to sling nearly half a box in the bin.

They have been the tips used on some of the cues which have played the most incredible standard of matchplay snooker in the history of the game, so truth be told, they can't be that bad can they.

Comment

It's not that I'm any Elkmaster fanboy either, as the same applies to Blue diamonds.

The only issue i have with B.D's is that they've always tended to be a bit on the thick (in their height) side, which most players can't stand.

A brand new Blue Diamond is like sticking a blueberry muffin on your cue....horrendous.

Comment

You are right some of the best snooker has been played with elks . But bearing in mind there was a straight choice of elks or BD s for yeary so it,s only in the last few years that players have a choice of a laminated tip aswell .

So thats an unfair comparison or assessment to make really , and does,nt tell us anything .

Comment

Working...
                              X